Got to love those Sabres!!!

NavyBillsFan

Except the idiot refs called it a goal! :doh:

But who cares?  It gives a crappy team a point, while the Sabres get 2!  Biron with a 12 game winning streak!

534668[/snapback]

I had it on nhl.com listening to it. Sounded like they could not figure it out during the review. But man its good to get those 2 points!

Believe it or not, Lindy Ruff & Biron said the replay booth called the league office in Toronto to find out if Palffy's goal was in or not. It was a BS call. The puck was in the glove, no way to tell if it was all the way over the goal line or not. Didn't matter, Sabres played to win after that and they certainly did win again.

Jump back on the Sabres Bandwagon. They are a fun team to watch and are on fire right now. Who would have thought when the NHL schedule came out that December 17th would mean more for the Sabres than the Bills? Everyone was complaining that the Sabres got screwed by having a home game the same night as a Bills Home Primetime Game. They even switched the Sabres game to 5pm. If the Bills game would have meant something, it would have been a save the sports section from the newspaper day for Buffalo Sports.

Actually, I was relieved with this win.... I just don't think that the Sabres should let a varsity hockey team in Pittsburgh hang around! Tommorow night they should skate circles around this bunch! A breather every now and again would do wonders. I guess the results are what really count, but putting the Penguins outta their misery is what I'd like to see on Saturday. Personally, I believe that if the Sabres come out and skate, they're 8-1 or 8-2 better than the Pens.... Make it happen Lindy!!!

Believe it or not, Lindy Ruff & Biron said the replay booth called the league office in Toronto to find out if Palffy's goal was in or not. It was a BS call. The puck was in the glove, no way to tell if it was all the way over the goal line or not. Didn't matter, Sabres played to win after that and they certainly did win again.

534708[/snapback]

There were three solid BS calls against the Sabres.

Good to have the win.

I would say I loved the way Cambell played.

I love the point play on the power playl.

I frickin hate the officiating. Even though Pittsburgh

had more penalty min. They should of had more.

The nancy-boy call on hecht is the kind of BS the league should look

at long and hard.

Drury played out his arse off tonight.  Glad to see him get the winning goal.....  I would still love to see the boys blank or totally dominate a team like the Penguins though.

534753[/snapback]

The Penguins just made a head coaching change, guys are now playing for their jobs.

Believe it or not, Lindy Ruff & Biron said the replay booth called the league office in Toronto to find out if Palffy's goal was in or not.

534708[/snapback]

Every single reviewed goal in the NHL is done in Toronto. They want things to be called the same way in every game. Just don't ask what happens if two goals have to be reviewed at the same time.

How?  By getting Golisano to buy them against Golisano's own desire?

535018[/snapback]

Bettman could have allowed outside suitors from southern or western US cities to bid on our bankrupt franchise, but didn't. Instead, he was adament about respecting our fan base and keeping the 30+ years of pro hockey tradition in WNY. He even made the NHL stand in as temporary owner for a season while the WNY community got its act together, when he could have easily folded the franchise as this would have been the more sound financial decision for the league at the time.

Bettman's loyalty to WNY is huge (his alma mater is Cornell University...maybe this is why he has respect for the region?), so I wonder why people here hate him.

Care to answer, MBD?

Bettman could have allowed outside suitors from southern or western US cities to bid on our bankrupt franchise, but didn't. Instead, he was adament about respecting our fan base and keeping the 30+ years of pro hockey tradition in WNY. He even made the NHL stand in as temporary owner for a season while the WNY community got its act together, when he could have easily folded the franchise as this would have been the more sound financial decision for the league at the time.

Bettman's loyalty to WNY is huge (his alma mater is Cornell University...maybe this is why he has respect for the region?), so I wonder why people here hate him.

Care to answer, MBD?

It was his bull sh-- explanation/defense of the "no goal." Most NHL fans I've talked to hate Bettman for one reason or another. And it was Chuck Shumer would urged the NHL to take ownership of the Sabres while a suitable owner could be found. Considering there WERE suitors ready to buy the team and the fact that over a 1/3 of NHL teams were losing money, and some had even been "contracted," allowing the Sabres to move to some magical Eden where they could fantastically prosper wasn't exactly a defendable position.

Why do people here generally hate Bettman?  :unsure:  He helped keep the Sabres in Buffalo after the Rigas debacle.

534981[/snapback]

Here's my take on why people in Buffalo hate Bettman. Before I start, let me note that I don't "hate" him but I'm not thrilled with him. (I used to "hate" him but I am now fairly neutral to a slight supporter of him.) I also will state that some of these reasons in and of themselves would not be reasons to hate him, but they all contribute to the general sense of dislike.

The biggest reason people don't like him is because of "No goal". There are people that will probably never forgive him for that. It wasn't a conspiracy to screw the Sabres, but was a series of mistakes and misjudgements that ended up causing the Stanley Cup to be "awarded" to a team rather than won. He was the top man and was in the building, he could have done the right thing (call the media off the ice and continue the game) but chose instead to do the easy thing (just give it to them).

Additional reasons he isn't liked. He comes across as a smug arrogant prick. Buffalo tends to be a blue collar town and he doesn't come across well.

For 3 consecutive seasons, in the round the Sabres were eliminated from the playoffs there was a game that had a HORRIBLE or multiple horrible reffing / linesmanning / replay reviewing that cost the Sabres a game. In each of those 3 seasons, the rules pertaining to how replay works was modified because of the massive screwup. In only 1 of those 3 seasons did Bettman even come close to saying the league screwed up. That didn't sit well with fans.

Also, and I don't think this is a reason most Buffalonians but it is a reason I wasn't happy with him, he was the guy that negotiated the horrible 1995 CBA that nearly bankrupted the league and led to the Sabres hemorraging money for about a decade.

My personal opinion of the guy has improved over the past 2 or so years, because he did work to keep the Sabres in Buffalo and he negotiated a new CBA that gives the Sabres a fighting chance to compete and quite possibly thrive.