More coaching candidates...

WVUFootball29

Simply put, Saunders has presided over the NFL’s most prolific scoring offense over the last four seasons. During that span, no NFL team has registered more points than the 1,754 accumulated by the Chiefs, an average of 27.4 ppg. In 2004, Kansas City scored 30+ points in five consecutive games, a first in team history. The Chiefs led the NFL in scoring in both 2002 and 2003, becoming the first AFC team to lead the league in scoring in back-to-back seasons since San Diego in ‘81-82. During the 2003 season alone, the Chiefs piled up a franchise-record 484 points after registering a league-high 467 points in 2002.

Dating back to 2001 when Saunders took over as offensive coordinator, the Chiefs rank first in the NFL with 24,278 net yards of total offense (379.3 ypg). The Chiefs oppulent numbers during that 64-game span from 2001-04 are also the league’s best in the following seven categories: offensive TDs (200), rushing TDs (105), total first downs (1,413), Red Zone TD percentage (64.3%), runs of 10+ yards (255), passing yards per attempt (7.79) and passing yards per completion (12.58).

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/al_saunders/

All the convincing I need Saunders 4 head coach.

Kubriak could have had lots of HC jobs in the past but he turned down some opportunities because he didn’t want to leave Denver. His name has stopped coming up in relation to vacancies because of this. If I recall correctly he was basically waiting to take over the Denver HC job once Shanahan steps down because he didn't want to relocate his family. Of course, I could be remembering this incorrectly.

I was reading an article today that mentioned Herm Edwards may be let go.  I don't think this is likely, but if it does happen i would love to have Herm here in Buffalo.  I think the Bills roster is more talented than the past few Jets teams and he has done decent competing in this division for a good many years.  Plus he is a likeable guy, which is the reason for me posting in the first place.  Likeable doesn't equal wins, but at least he is honest with the media and will tell them to F-off which is entertaining if we conitune to suck.

533404[/snapback]

I like Herm -- as a person and as a media personality, he's great. The Buffalo News would totally fawn over him. But if you're looking for offensive game-planning and good decisions (our two biggest problems right now), he's not the guy.

Simply put, Saunders has presided over the NFL’s most prolific scoring offense over the last four seasons. During that span, no NFL team has registered more points than the 1,754 accumulated by the Chiefs, an average of 27.4 ppg. In 2004, Kansas City scored 30+ points in five consecutive games, a first in team history. The Chiefs led the NFL in scoring in both 2002 and 2003, becoming the first AFC team to lead the league in scoring in back-to-back seasons since San Diego in ‘81-82. During the 2003 season alone, the Chiefs piled up a franchise-record 484 points after registering a league-high 467 points in 2002.

Dating back to 2001 when Saunders took over as offensive coordinator, the Chiefs rank first in the NFL with 24,278 net yards of total offense (379.3 ypg). The Chiefs oppulent numbers during that 64-game span from 2001-04 are also the league’s best in the following seven categories: offensive TDs (200), rushing TDs (105), total first downs (1,413), Red Zone TD percentage (64.3%), runs of 10+ yards (255), passing yards per attempt (7.79) and passing yards per completion (12.58).

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/al_saunders/

All the convincing I need  Saunders 4 head coach.

533608[/snapback]

But does he interview well ? And does he have organized lists of notes?

But does he interview well ? And does he have organized lists of notes?

533712[/snapback]

I know you are saying that in jest, but seriously - isn't it kind of stupid to make fun of a guy for being organized and for performing well in an interview? Do you want them to be unprepared and incoherent while applying for the job? :doh:

I know you are saying that in jest, but seriously - isn't it kind of stupid to make fun of a guy for being organized and for performing well in an interview? Do you want them to be unprepared and incoherent while applying for the job?  :doh:

533715[/snapback]

For some reason, Hank Bullough came to mind when I read the last part of that...

How the (bleep) DID he get the HC job, anyhow? What, did he draw the short straw after Kay Stephenson got axed?

Norv turner will never get another HC job again.  He turned Randy Moss into a mediocre receiver this year.

The only two guys on that list worth a damn are Fassel and Kiffin.  Kubiak and Saunders are overrated.  Rhodes already has two tries as a HC and failed twice.

533386[/snapback]

No way to Fassel.He's OC material at best. As head coach he's weak to mediocre at best.I've had enough of mediocrity.

No way to Fassel.He's OC material at best. As head coach he's weak to mediocre at best.I've had enough of mediocrity.

533763[/snapback]

I think he's proved he not OC material in the Baltimore so far....

From what I heard last night on ESPN radio's Sportsbash is that Saunders is now the front runner for the Chiefs HC job when Vermeil retires...they didnt even mention Herm Edwards for it.

Adam, Cottrell was mentioned in another thread that came out shortly after this one. I'd love for him to get the chance...he definately deserves it.

I was reading an article today that mentioned Herm Edwards may be let go.  I don't think this is likely, but if it does happen i would love to have Herm here in Buffalo.  I think the Bills roster is more talented than the past few Jets teams and he has done decent competing in this division for a good many years.  Plus he is a likeable guy, which is the reason for me posting in the first place.  Likeable doesn't equal wins, but at least he is honest with the media and will tell them to F-off which is entertaining if we conitune to suck.

533404[/snapback]

If Herm leaves, it will be to go to KC.

I think he's proved he not OC material in the Baltimore so far....

From what I heard last night on ESPN radio's Sportsbash is that Saunders is now the front runner for the Chiefs HC job when Vermeil retires...they didnt even mention Herm Edwards for it.

Adam, Cottrell was mentioned in another thread that came out shortly after this one.  I'd love for him to get the chance...he definately deserves it.

533814[/snapback]

Cottrell is another overrated coordinator with absolutely no history of being able to run the whole show.

just hope the Titans fire Jeff Fischer.

If not, bring in Kirk Ferentz from Iowa - at least he can identify the OL.

Cottrell is another overrated coordinator with absolutely no history of being able to run the whole show.

533843[/snapback]

Fischer would be great, I really like him. I just dont think the Titans are quite ready to pull the plug on him just yet, but if they do....Git R Done Ralph

Really?  IMO, Herm is one of the 4 or 5 worst HC's  in the leauge...he would be no improvement over what we have now... he may be an even worse game day coach than MM on his worst Sunday...he does give a good sound-byte though!

BTW, I had heard that, because of health concerns, there was doubts that Ray Rhodes would be coaching much longer...

533481[/snapback]

There's a typo in the above.... you put "worst" where you should have put "best."

JDG

I like Herm -- as a person and as a media personality, he's great.  The Buffalo News would totally fawn over him.  But if you're looking for offensive game-planning and good decisions (our two biggest problems right now), he's not the guy.

533708[/snapback]

Actually, Herman Edwards may be perhaps the only man in the League who understands gameday decision-making. The problem is, his gameday decision-making flies in the face of the media-generated CW and so he gets ripped for it - but Edwards really, truly knows what he is doing.

Let me give one example: Herm Edwards instructs his QB's that in most situations, and particularly in the 2nd Half, if the playclock is winding down they should simply take the 5-yard penalty and save the invaluable timeout for the final 2 minutes when it is crucial. That is the kind of understanding of football decision-making the eludes about 99% of the people in the NFL. And that is only one example.

JDG

533843[/snapback]

He also has no history of not being able to run a team

Nobody has mentioned former Buffalo DC- Ted Cotrell! I think he'd be a great head coach!!! He's had success everywhere he's gone- too bad he was Edward's scapegoat in NY!

533697[/snapback]

Cottrell is a perfect fit. He has had success everywhere he has coached. Players love playing for him--look at the ex-Bills who migrate to where he coaches. He loves Buffalo and has a great attitude and relationship with players. I would be ecstatic if he became the next coach. He should have beaten out GW the first time around. He wanted to keep many of the defensive guys around (Big Ted etc..), but TD knew better didn't he. Keith Newman, Big Ted, PW all players that could be replaced! Now 5 years later we are no better, and are at the bottom of the league in both offense and defense--pathetic. This whole organization needs a new infusion of attitude and a new environment. The culture of losing has definitely taken over. Nice for the coaches to alienate the players too.

Cottrell is a perfect fit.  He has had success everywhere he has coached.  Players love playing for him--look at the ex-Bills who migrate to where he coaches.  He loves Buffalo and has a great attitude and relationship with players.  I would be ecstatic if he became the next coach.  He should have beaten out GW the first time around.  He wanted to keep many of the defensive guys around (Big Ted etc..), but TD knew better didn't he.  Keith Newman, Big Ted, PW all players that could be replaced!  Now 5 years later we are no better, and are at the bottom of the league in both offense and defense--pathetic.  This whole organization needs a new infusion of attitude and a new environment.  The culture of losing has definitely taken over.  Nice for the coaches to alienate the players too.

534326[/snapback]

I share your enthusiasm for Cotrell, but we had to get rid of those players for cap reasons

Long shot, but has been referred to as "the most offensive mind in football" Mike Leach of Texas Tech. Look at what he did with Kentucky and Oklahoma. This is aman who can make a mediocre offense look great. He's 44 non-traditional, but face it-There is a limited head coach out there loaded with has-beens or never was'es and most of THEM won't want to come here. I'd take a shot on this guy.