Now that the frenzy is over

GG

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Say what we may about Marv's game day coaching abilities, no one can ever deny his key role in keeping a locker room full of HOFers locked in on a goal and more often than not, supplanting personal ideals for that goal on game day. Marv's teams were always prepared (save one helmetless day) and never gave up.

Can anyone imagine the Moulds/Mularkey fiasco happening during Marv's tenure? What makes that laughable is that Moulds rocking the boat is a ripple compared to the wakes created by larger than life figures who polulated that locker room 10 years ago.

What appears to be broken at OBD is the dictatorship of the general manager has balkanized the front office, coaches and players into warring fiefdoms, with the local press laying siege on each of them. Who knows why Tom Donahoe has a thin skinned demeanor? But it's obvious that his style has alienated many former friends of OBD to the point where it will be more difficult to retain and attract free agents and coaches.

A great backhanded compliment to Marv's coaching abilities was that he was a good administrator and is commended for keeping his teams together. Sure sounds like a great description of a successfull general manager. During the Polian/Butler/Levy heyday, the front office and the coaches were on the same page, and it reverberated to the players. For a GM not to heed concern from position coaches is a recipe for trouble, which usually manifests in losing seasons.

A good GM is a good administrator who can delegate the operating functions to people in charge of the departments. A good GM doesn't need to dominate the draft, when the team has solid personnel directors. A good GM doesn't need to personally handle contract negotiations, when there's a crack legal team in how. A good GM doesn't need to dictate all player decisions, when the coaches are the ones dealing with the lugs on the field. You all get the picture.

I do not care that Marv is 100 years old. If he returns to OBD, he will be charged with the main responsibility of restoring cohesion among the front office, coaches and players. It is the way he has operated in every place of authority in his professional football career. A HOF coach doesn't need to worry about the press sniping at his back, nor ignoring the feedback from underlings, because at 100 years old, he knows that he can still learn a thing or two from people under him.

Say what we may about Marv's game day coaching abilities, no one can ever deny his key role in keeping a locker room full of HOFers locked in on a goal and more often than not, supplanting personal ideals for that goal on game day.  Marv's teams were always prepared (save one helmetless day) and never gave up. 

Can anyone imagine the Moulds/Mularkey fiasco happening during Marv's tenure?  What makes that laughable is that Moulds rocking the boat is a ripple compared to the wakes created by larger than life figures who polulated that locker room 10 years ago.

What appears to be broken at OBD is the dictatorship of the general manager has balkanized the front office, coaches and players into warring fiefdoms, with the local press laying siege on each of them.  Who knows why Tom Donahoe has a thin skinned demeanor?  But it's obvious that his style has alienated many former friends of OBD to the point where it will be more difficult to retain and attract free agents and coaches.

A great backhanded compliment to Marv's coaching abilities was that he was a good administrator and is commended for keeping his teams together.  Sure sounds like a great description of a successfull general manager.  During the Polian/Butler/Levy heyday, the front office and the coaches were on the same page, and it reverberated to the players.  For a GM not to heed concern from position coaches is a recipe for trouble, which usually manifests in losing seasons.

A good GM is a good administrator who can delegate the operating functions to people in charge of the departments.  A good GM doesn't need to dominate the draft, when the team has solid personnel directors.  A good GM doesn't need to personally handle contract negotiations, when there's a crack legal team in how.  A good GM doesn't need to dictate all player decisions, when the coaches are the ones dealing with the lugs on the field.  You all get the picture.

I do not care that Marv is 100 years old.  If he returns to OBD, he will be charged with the main responsibility of restoring cohesion among the front office, coaches and players.  It is the way he has operated in every place of authority in his professional football career.  A HOF coach doesn't need to worry about the press sniping at his back, nor ignoring the feedback from underlings, because at 100 years old, he knows that he can still learn a thing or two from people under him.

533070[/snapback]

Marv would have to be able to put into place a lot of good talent evaluators. Better than we have right now. He could definitely have the same kind of role that a Bill Walsh had in SF and help steer this team in the right direction. But I'm not sure he would be the best person to right the ship. As an advisor with a lot of input, I'm all for it.

Say what we may about Marv's game day coaching abilities, no one can ever deny his key role in keeping a locker room full of HOFers locked in on a goal and more often than not, supplanting personal ideals for that goal on game day.  Marv's teams were always prepared (save one helmetless day) and never gave up. 

Can anyone imagine the Moulds/Mularkey fiasco happening during Marv's tenure?  What makes that laughable is that Moulds rocking the boat is a ripple compared to the wakes created by larger than life figures who polulated that locker room 10 years ago.

What appears to be broken at OBD is the dictatorship of the general manager has balkanized the front office, coaches and players into warring fiefdoms, with the local press laying siege on each of them.  Who knows why Tom Donahoe has a thin skinned demeanor?  But it's obvious that his style has alienated many former friends of OBD to the point where it will be more difficult to retain and attract free agents and coaches.

A great backhanded compliment to Marv's coaching abilities was that he was a good administrator and is commended for keeping his teams together.  Sure sounds like a great description of a successfull general manager.  During the Polian/Butler/Levy heyday, the front office and the coaches were on the same page, and it reverberated to the players.  For a GM not to heed concern from position coaches is a recipe for trouble, which usually manifests in losing seasons.

A good GM is a good administrator who can delegate the operating functions to people in charge of the departments.  A good GM doesn't need to dominate the draft, when the team has solid personnel directors.  A good GM doesn't need to personally handle contract negotiations, when there's a crack legal team in how.  A good GM doesn't need to dictate all player decisions, when the coaches are the ones dealing with the lugs on the field.  You all get the picture.

I do not care that Marv is 100 years old.  If he returns to OBD, he will be charged with the main responsibility of restoring cohesion among the front office, coaches and players.  It is the way he has operated in every place of authority in his professional football career.  A HOF coach doesn't need to worry about the press sniping at his back, nor ignoring the feedback from underlings, because at 100 years old, he knows that he can still learn a thing or two from people under him.

533070[/snapback]

excellent post, and i wouldn't be shocked at all if it happens notwithstanding marv's recent denial (which i suspect was at least partly related to his knowledge that there's another guy, who's still, you know, under contract as the bills gm).

533070[/snapback]

Nice post, but you already knew that. :blink:

If TD had been successful then this same message turns into something like,

"Thank god, TD got rid of all the guys from the Butler regime and bring in

his own standards and system and how that system has proven to work with

the bills in the playoffs for four consecutive years".....

Just goes to show, how the #s in the W-L column can change the perception...

I am not a TD apologetic...I would like to see him and his system gone and

a new one come in to breathe some freshness into this stale entity.

excellent post, and i wouldn't be shocked at all if it happens notwithstanding marv's recent denial (which i suspect was at least partly related to his knowledge that there's another guy, who's still, you know, under contract as the bills gm).

533079[/snapback]

It is a most excellent post - but I'd still like to see Marv as HC too.

And I agree with your thoughts on Marv's backtracking. It's just unlike Marv to mispeak like that - he chose his word's so carefully - "I've been contacted by two teams, and one of them is not the Bills".

(The analogy they used on WGR was the old riddle - "I've got 2 coins in my hand totaling 35 cents - one of them is not a quarter...")

Unless Marv had a bit too much eggnog that night - check out his nose...

Marv's Nose...

Bring back Marv.

Do not bring back Marv.

Please all of you stop taking mind altering drugs. You have no clue what effect they have on you long term.

Marv was great for us back in the day. There is no way an 87 year old who has been out of the NFL for several years can help us long term...

533121[/snapback]

Oh I don't know, Nick - sometimes they're the most fun you can have...with your pants on! :blink:

BTW - Marv is only 80 years young. (Marvin Daniel Levy - B. August 3, 1925)

Oh I don't know, Nick - sometimes they're the most fun you can have...with your pants on! :blink:

BTW - Marv is only 80 years young.  (Marvin Daniel Levy - B. August 3, 1925)

533127[/snapback]

Well 80 is still too old to start dealing with the goings of of an NFL franchise day-to-day. Especially at the important and busy position of HC or GM...

As team president, Marv likely would call upon some old contacts for guidance such as Bill Polian, AJ Smith, Dick Vermiel, Bill Walsh and Bruce Allen. He would gather their collective intelligence to determine who best to surround himself with from a personnel and coaching standpoint. Maybe a Dwight Adams or a Buddy Nix comes back to run the personnel department or he hires an up and comer off another staff based on a recommendation. Marv always bragged about his ability to put a coaching staff together so I am sure he would love picking a Head Coach. I could see Marv going after a seasoned assistant like himself such as Tom Moore, Jim Johnson, Ted Cotrell or Al Saunders. I bet Marv would try to get Rusty Jones back in the fold as well.

Well 80 is still too old to start dealing with the goings of of an NFL franchise day-to-day. Especially at the important and busy position of HC or GM...

533139[/snapback]

Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden are almost 80, should they retire? Your argument about age has holes all over it. Its all about who you surround yourself with. That's what GG was saying about being a good administrator.

I will say this though. I dont want Marv as the Bills head Coach.

As team president, Marv likely would call upon some old contacts for guidance such as Bill Polian, AJ Smith, Dick Vermiel, Bill Walsh and Bruce Allen. He would gather their collective intelligence to determine who best to surround himself with from a personnel and coaching standpoint.  Maybe a Dwight Adams or a Buddy Nix comes back to run the personnel department or he hires an up and comer off another staff based on a recommendation. Marv always bragged about his ability to put a coaching staff together so I am sure he would love picking a Head Coach.  I could see Marv going after a seasoned assistant like himself such as  Tom Moore, Jim Johnson, Ted Cotrell or Al Saunders.  I bet Marv would try to get Rusty Jones back in the fold as well.

533153[/snapback]

oh boy - Walt Corey and Tom Breshnahan.

The bills will be saved!! :lol:

laugh all you want, but bresnahan was a terrific offensive line coach for the bills. he wasn't such a great coordinator, but it's not as if he had much power (due to shofner and kelly).

533280[/snapback]

Sure you're not confusing Bresnahan with his predecessor, Jim Ringo?

just checked - ringo retired in february, 1989. breshahan was o-line coach for the next 3 years until marchibroda left.

533332[/snapback]

Yes he did. But the core of the line (until Wolford left) were all guys from Ringo's tutelage. John Davis was the last cog that made that line dominant.