How good is LJ?

Blue Chipper

Ive followed Larry Johnsons game very closley this year on DTV because he is on my fantasy team. Even before the Priest got hurt every touch he got he made the most of and threatned to do the distance. Now with him getting all the carries he is in my opinion the best back in the league. A combination of speed and power. Now KC has a good line but alot has to do with how he runs the ball. He is improving on his pass catching skills and they threw him screens on two or three occassions yesterday and he almost busted those for td's.

Then you compare that to how we use Willis and I you have to laugh. Not eben close. Willis has scored one td I think in the past 6 weeks. LJ had three yesterday.

Ive followed Larry Johnsons game very closley this year on DTV because he is on my fantasy team. Even before the Priest got hurt every touch he got he made the most of and threatned to do the distance. Now with him getting all the carries he is in my opinion the best back in the league. A combination of speed and power. Now KC has a good line but alot has to do with how he runs the ball. He is improving on his pass catching skills and they threw him screens on two or three occassions yesterday and he almost busted those for td's.

Then you compare that to how we use Willis and I you have to laugh. Not eben close. Willis has scored one td I think in the past 6 weeks. LJ had three yesterday.

529851[/snapback]

LJ also has the second or third best OL in the game to run behind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE Penn State apologist, and I saw that LJ had a big career ahead of him. I'd rather have him than McGahee (especially given his apparent blase attitude).

But come on, the Chiefs OL and ours don't even play the same game. They play tackle football, our guys play tiddlywinks.

Not worried. Here is the competion:

K.C. -- decent team, good attendance -- the only team I could see as being more attractive.

Ravens -- the offense is fixable with a new QB -- but Billick won't get canned

Raiders -- the only guy Al Davis could to take the team two years ago

The Vikes are still a mess, plus Tice just may owe his life to Brad Johnson

Saints -- same story every year, and Haslett always survives -- but this is a team with a home, seemingly destined to relocate and bound to be a mess for a while

Texans -- good city to be in, but the whole roster needs to be scrapped.

529402[/snapback]

We also had the chance to draft LJ but we took McGahee instead. With all do respect, I think that WM is still going to be a great RB, but he obviously needs to get his act together.

529851[/snapback]

The more I see him play, the more he reminds me of Corey Dillon.

We also had the chance to draft LJ but we took McGahee instead.  With all do respect, I think that WM is still going to be a great RB, but he obviously needs to get his act together.

529867[/snapback]

Solid and above average power back maybe , but greatness is not in the cards for a back without breakaway speed......sorry just don't see it...He can't out run some of the top defensive ends in the league.

The more I see him play, the more he reminds me of Corey Dillon.

529879[/snapback]

I disagree. He is far better that than Dillon. Dillon has been hurt this year so you have to look at last season and he did very well. It may have been his best season as a pro with over 1600 yards and 12 td's. However Johnson is the next class. In 13 games this year (6 starts) he has 1251 yards rushing and 14 tds. He should be considered with LT as the best in the league. It will be interesting to see what the Chiefs do next season if Priest returns from injury.

Chiefs running back Larry Johnson, who has racked up four straight 100-yard rushing performances, is thrilled with his workload in Kansas City, but he's not so thrilled with the town.

The former Penn State star said he doesn't feel comfortable with the people there, that they don't accept his personality, his tattoos or the way he dresses.

"I love this team," he said. "I love my teammates. I'm just very uncomfortable with the people here and the way they see me and the way they sometimes treat me. It has nothing to do with football. It has to do with when I'm out on the town."

Of the KC citizenry, he said: "Everybody's old. It's like the Bush Republican crowd."

Sounds like Larry doesnt like Kansas City. :doh::w00t:

I disagree. He is far better that than Dillon. Dillon has been hurt this year so you have to look at last season and he did very well. It may have been his best season as a pro with over 1600 yards and 12 td's. However Johnson is the next class. In 13 games this year (6 starts) he has 1251 yards rushing and 14 tds. He should be considered with LT as the best in the league. It will be interesting to see what the Chiefs do next season if Priest returns from injury.

529983[/snapback]

When Johnson gets nine years in with seven of 1000+, then compare and talk about far better... :doh:

Solid and above average power back maybe , but greatness is not in the cards for a back without breakaway speed......sorry just don't see it...He can't out run some of the top defensive ends in the league.

529907[/snapback]

I agree totally East. Even on the Bills best day Magahee never has impressed me so much that I would consider him among the best in the league. I understand how Willis may think that. I mean, overblown opinions of themselves seem to be a trait among NFL atheletes. Willis always has looked slow and unimaginative to me with or without good line play.

Plus Dillion played for the Bengals when they were the laughingstock of the league.  Dillion has had gameswhen he rushed for over 200 yards.

530026[/snapback]

He was quite a player with Cincy. Punishing runner - had a straight arm second to none. Carried tacklers and got big yards after. He was a decent pass blocker for them, and was excellent at coming back into the play to get a desperation pass to help out a qb under pressure.

Great speed. If he broke free, he could out run many cb's.

He got some ink as being a malcontent. That came from playing with some pretty poorly-run B'gals teams. He's a jerk - but just a garden-variety jerk, kinda the type we all come across where we may work. He was never TO-class.

And come game time, Dillon never dogged anything - he was and is a very hard, determined pro.

i dunno, when mike williams has been in and healthy mcgahee has been able to put up yards in an O where travis got shut down and one of the worst Os in the NFL.

get a coach who knows his head from his ass and we might have someting on our hands.

Sounds like Larry doesnt like Kansas City. :doh:  :w00t:

529997[/snapback]

Larry has been in legal trouble twice in KC, both domestic violence type issues. His heart is being questioned also because if the play does not involve him he does not handle his blocking assignments and in the Dallas game permitted the QB to get sacked, a fumble ensued and Dallas later scored-a pass from a washed up Drew Bledsoe (3 TD, 300 + yds passing)

I like Larry Johnson a lot and think he's a damn fine rb, but I dont think he's that great, put him behind our oline, and he wouldn't do much better then mcgahee. Larry Johnson is also pretty bad with blitz pickup. With that said, it cant be stated enough when Mike Williams was in the lineup earlier in the year Willis was in the top 3 in the league in rushing yards averaging near 90 yards a game. If we had an oline like the chiefs I have no doubt in my mind willis would put up Larry Johnson esque stats. It's no coincidence that mcgahees ypc average went from 4.7 to 3.9 over the time mike williams has been removed from the starting lineup.

This "breakway speed" stuff is overrated. Whats edge's longest run of the year? 36 yards....... The problem is far from breakaway speed. It's simply a case of poor run blocking. With our line having no consistency and shuffling in and out of players they're not used to each other. No Offense to the idol worshipers of Jason peters but he gets no push in the run game and is a rather finese type tackle, making it nearly impossible to run off tackle plays. The interior is the biggest problem providing no early push off the snap. Villarrial who still may be good is getting up there in age and is suffering nagging injuries. Bennie Anderson is a fat slob, and trey teague I wont really blame due to the jokes at the guard spots next to him, but he has his fair share of issues with run blocking.