Welcome Back Doug Flutie !

Red Dragon

I can't wait for this Sunday, when the Pats are eventually beating the Bills by a wide enough margin, and Flutie is inserted into the game. He will be a reminder of the last good teams Buffalo had, when they were competitive in each game, and actually made the playoffs. Say what you like about his shortcomings (no pun intended), but after he left, it has all gone downhill for this team. If only Flutie had been chosen over Rob Johnson, the disastrous personnel decisions made after his departure would not have happened.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for this Sunday, when the Pats are eventually beating the Bills by a wide enough margin, and Flutie is inserted into the game. He will be a reminder of the last good teams Buffalo had, when they were competitive in each game, and actually made the playoffs. Say what you like about his shortcomings (no pun intended), but after he left, it has all gone downhill for this team. If only Flutie had been chosen over Rob Johnson, the disastrous personnel decisions made after his departure would not have happened.

526319[/snapback]

Hi Doug....shouldn't you be at practice?

Flutie and RJ were both morons. That time is done. Move along.

Flutie was a friggin fairy running around out there while RJ was just......well a girl I guess you could say.

I will never root for Flutie or root for another team. Go Bills.

526325[/snapback]

Moron or not, you cannot argue with his record as a Bill. If you were a Bills fan back when he was starting, I guarantee that you rooted for him. The team was a winner when he was the starter, and a loser since he left. He was the first of many poor decisions made by the Bills admistration. I'm not asking you too root against the Bills Sunday, but you should cheer Flutie the way you would any ex-Bill who had accomplishments such as his.

Flutie and RJ were both morons. That time is done. Move along.

Flutie was a friggin fairy running around out there while RJ was just......well a girl I guess you could say.

I will never root for Flutie or root for another team. Go Bills.

526325[/snapback]

Moron or not, you cannot argue with his record as a Bill. If you were a Bills fan back when he was starting, I guarantee that you rooted for him. The team was a winner when he was the starter, and a loser since he left. He was the first of many poor decisions made by the Bills admistration. I'm not asking you too root against the Bills Sunday, but you should cheer Flutie the way you would any ex-Bill who had accomplishments such as his.

526344[/snapback]

this has GOT to be sarcasm.

Guest BackInDaDay

526319[/snapback]

I've liked Fluti since his BC days, but he was easy to gameplan against.

Contain him in the pocket. You didn't have to pressure him - just keep the backs of his big O line in front of him. Without a passing lane, he couldn't deliver the ball.

I've liked Fluti since his BC days, but he was easy to gameplan against.

Contain him in the pocket.  You didn't have to pressure him - just keep the backs of his big O line in front of him.  Without a passing lane, he couldn't deliver the ball.

526349[/snapback]

So easy that he lost more games than he won, right?

JDG

Guest BackInDaDay
So easy that he lost more games than he won, right?

JDG

526359[/snapback]

If Flutie has a winning record as a starter in the NFL, I may be wrong. Remembering back at how effective he was as the Bills starter, I think other teams kept him from breaking the pocket to shut our O down.

Flutie's record as a Bill:

8-3 in 1998 -- after a 1-3 start by RJ -- oh, and he made the Pro Bowl

10-5 in 1999 -- before being replaced in the first playoff game, which the Bills lost (although it wasn't RJ's fault per se)

4-1 in 2000 -- backing up RJ most of the year -- He played in 11 games in 2000 with five starts.

That gives him a 22-9 record as a Bill.

I guess he wasn't that easy to gameplan while he was in Buffalo...

Doug Flutie became the Buffalo Bills' starting quarterback in 1998 after the team started 1-3. In his first start, he passed for 2 TDs and led a 4th quarter comeback against the Indianapolis Colts on October 11. The following week Flutie scored the winning touchdown against the Jacksonville Jaguars on a naked bootleg to enter the endzone as the clock ran out. The Bills' success continued, as the team compiled an 8-3 record with Flutie at the helm. Despite being eliminated in the first round by the Dolphins, Flutie was selected to play in the 1998 Pro Bowl after throwing for 2711 yards with a 87.4 QB Rating—his best in his NFL career.

Flutie threw for 3171 yards and 19 TDS in 1999, leading the Bills to a 10-5 record. However, most of his season was overshadowed by a controversial decision to rest Flutie for the final game in favor of replacement Rob Johnson. To the chagrin of Buffalo fans everywhere, the Flutie-less team lost 22-16.

In 2000, Flutie was named the Bills backup, and only appeared in 11 games, starting five.

However, Flutie once again had his chance to shine: After a subpar start to the season, Rob Johnson was injured vs. the Chargers in overtime. Once again, Flutie was called on to make magic. Engineering a drive downfield, Flutie set up the team for the game winning field goal. After losing three of their first five, the Bills now stood at 3-3. The Bills won 3 of the next 4 with Flutie in the lead, losing only to the Vikings, undefeated at the time. Despite his success, Flutie was once again relegated to backup as soon as Johnson returned from injury. In his final game in Buffalo, Flutie completed 20 of 25 passes, for 366 yards, and 3 TDs. Taking the NFL's 158.3 point passer rating system into account, Flutie threw a perfect game.

Those were the days...

I don't care what people say about digging up the past... with such a long drought, I can't help but hold onto those memories.

I guess he wasn't that easy to gameplan while he was in Buffalo...

Doug Flutie became the Buffalo Bills' starting quarterback in 1998 after the team started 1-3. In his first start, he passed for 2 TDs and led a 4th quarter comeback against the Indianapolis Colts on October 11. The following week Flutie scored the winning touchdown against the Jacksonville Jaguars on a naked bootleg to enter the endzone as the clock ran out. The Bills' success continued, as the team compiled an 8-3 record with Flutie at the helm. Despite being eliminated in the first round by the Dolphins, Flutie was selected to play in the 1998 Pro Bowl after throwing for 2711 yards with a 87.4 QB Rating—his best in his NFL career.

Flutie threw for 3171 yards and 19 TDS in 1999, leading the Bills to a 10-5 record. However, most of his season was overshadowed by a controversial decision to rest Flutie for the final game in favor of replacement Rob Johnson. To the chagrin of Buffalo fans everywhere, the Flutie-less team lost 22-16.

In 2000, Flutie was named the Bills backup, and only appeared in 11 games, starting five.

However, Flutie once again had his chance to shine: After a subpar start to the season, Rob Johnson was injured vs. the Chargers in overtime. Once again, Flutie was called on to make magic. Engineering a drive downfield, Flutie set up the team for the game winning field goal. After losing three of their first five, the Bills now stood at 3-3. The Bills won 3 of the next 4 with Flutie in the lead, losing only to the Vikings, undefeated at the time. Despite his success, Flutie was once again relegated to backup as soon as Johnson returned from injury. In his final game in Buffalo, Flutie completed 20 of 25 passes, for 366 yards, and 3 TDs. Taking the NFL's 158.3 point passer rating system into account, Flutie threw a perfect game.

526394[/snapback]