Maybe too much attention to the Bills?

For the diehard NFL fan, this obviously doesn't apply...

Maybe we're paying a little too much attention to the Bills? Across town, there's a hockey team with more key injuries, but that's finding a way to win (4-1 on Colo., and 17 points out of the last 20, as of this writing). They average in the bottom third of the league in attendance (see today's New York Times for the figures).

Across town yet again, there's a college basketball team with six wins and a single loss. They had 3500 the other night against their highest-profile opponent so far (Fresno State, which was a nationally televised "Bracket Buster" game for the UB Bulls last year in Cali--and the Bulls won). They've played local rivals Canisius and Niagara, to small crowds.

The Bills are at capacity every game. They're 4-8. I do realize that the presence of the team helps put Buffalo on the map, and eight nights per year, puts customers in local hotels and restaurants. But shouldn't we be devoting SOME attention to the other teams that are bearing our standard? Rebuild, Bills. I'll always like you. But in the meantime, let's go Sabres, and let's go Bulls. And let's show up.

Maybe we're paying a little too much attention to the Bills?  Across town, there's a hockey team with more key injuries, but that's finding a way to win (4-1 on Colo., and 17 points out of the last 20, as of this writing).  They average in the bottom third of the league in attendance (see today's New York Times for the figures).

Across town yet again, there's a college basketball team with six wins and a single loss.  They had 3500 the other night against their highest-profile opponent so far (Fresno State, which was a nationally televised "Bracket Buster" game for the UB Bulls last year in Cali--and the Bulls won).  They've played local rivals Canisius and Niagara, to small crowds.

The Bills are at capacity every game.  They're 4-8.  I do realize that the presence of the team helps put Buffalo on the map, and eight nights per year, puts customers in local hotels and restaurants.  But shouldn't we be devoting SOME attention to the other teams that are bearing our standard?  Rebuild, Bills.  I'll always like you.  But in the meantime, let's go Sabres, and let's go Bulls.  And let's show up.

520283[/snapback]

I think if the sabres had the tailgate scene that the bills had, chances are they'd be selling out too at least most of the time.

Maybe we're paying a little too much attention to the Bills?  Across town, there's a hockey team with more key injuries, but that's finding a way to win (4-1 on Colo., and 17 points out of the last 20, as of this writing).  They average in the bottom third of the league in attendance (see today's New York Times for the figures).

Across town yet again, there's a college basketball team with six wins and a single loss.  They had 3500 the other night against their highest-profile opponent so far (Fresno State, which was a nationally televised "Bracket Buster" game for the UB Bulls last year in Cali--and the Bulls won).  They've played local rivals Canisius and Niagara, to small crowds.

The Bills are at capacity every game.  They're 4-8.  I do realize that the presence of the team helps put Buffalo on the map, and eight nights per year, puts customers in local hotels and restaurants.  But shouldn't we be devoting SOME attention to the other teams that are bearing our standard?  Rebuild, Bills.  I'll always like you.  But in the meantime, let's go Sabres, and let's go Bulls.  And let's show up.

520283[/snapback]

Please post somewhere else - the Sabres play 40+ games most of which are meaningless until about February and the UB Bulls (Class of 76) get the support they deserve

The Bills play 8 games a season that everyone there cares about ! <_<

Please post somewhere else - the Sabres play 40+ games most of which are meaningless until about February and the UB Bulls (Class of 76) get the support they deserve

The Bills play 8 games a season that everyone there cares about  !  <_<

520305[/snapback]

It's ok that you disagree--but "please post somewhere else?" C'mon.

The Bills play 8 games a season that everyone there cares about  !  :doh:

520305[/snapback]

I love these overexuberant Sabres fans. Get a grip, the Sabres have been streaky since they traded Hasek for a bag of pucks and just when you think they are turning into a good team, they go about 25 games where they can't find the net midseason and miss the playoffs entirely.

Most of us follow the Sabres, but coming off the lockout, losing some of their better veterans, adding nobody that would make you think they were serious about contending for a championship and looking light years weaker than the Senators, don't hold it against us if we don't have Cup Fever and are ready to go shell out Bills ticket type money for bad seats to a meaningless December hockey game.

<_<

I love these overexuberant Sabres fans.  Get a grip, the Sabres have been streaky since they traded Hasek for a bag of pucks and just when you think they are turning into a good team, they go about 25 games where they can't find the net midseason and miss the playoffs entirely.

Most of us follow the Sabres, but coming off the lockout,  losing some of their better veterans, adding nobody that would make you think they were serious about contending for a championship and looking light years weaker than the Senators, don't hold it against us if we don't have Cup Fever and are ready to go shell out Bills ticket type money for bad seats to a meaningless December hockey game.

:(

520342[/snapback]

I love how Lindy Ruff gets a contract extension after starting the season 2-0. Someone needs to remind the owner that two games do not make a season.

I love these overexuberant Sabres fans.  Get a grip, the Sabres have been streaky since they traded Hasek for a bag of pucks and just when you think they are turning into a good team, they go about 25 games where they can't find the net midseason and miss the playoffs entirely.

Most of us follow the Sabres, but coming off the lockout,  losing some of their better veterans, adding nobody that would make you think they were serious about contending for a championship and looking light years weaker than the Senators, don't hold it against us if we don't have Cup Fever and are ready to go shell out Bills ticket type money for bad seats to a meaningless December hockey game.

520342[/snapback]

Buzz kill. :(:P

520342[/snapback]

They (Sabres) are playing better than anyone would have considered at the start of the season.

While I'm not a hockey fan, i do see your point. I have skipped recent Bills home games to make it for the New England game Next week, which allows for me to catch a UB Bulls b-ball game. The UB mens basketball team has been strong for several years running now. I'm a fan of the UB bball team nearly as much as the Bills.