Penalty call against Welker in the endzone

Rayzer32

If we could have declined that penalty it would have been 4th down, instead they mark off the penalty and it goes back to 3rd down and Miami scores on the extra play.

519406[/snapback]

It would not have been 4th down, it would have been a touchdown

If we could have declined that penalty it would have been 4th down, instead they mark off the penalty and it goes back to 3rd down and Miami scores on the extra play.

519406[/snapback]

This in an interesting questionn.

There was a similar play in the Washington-St. Louis game today. In both plays, the receiver stepped out of bounds, came back in, and caught a pass.

In Buffalo v. Miami, the play was at the back of the end zone and a penalty was called:

3-1-BUF1 (:36) (Shotgun)

PENALTY on MIA-W.Welker, Illegal Touch Pass, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 1 - No Play.

In Washington v. St. Louis, the play was along a sideline and it was ruled an incomplete pass:

2-1-WAS32 (9:17) R. Fitzpatrick pass incomplete to I. Bruce. Complete pass ruled incomplete as St. Louis #80 I. Bruce went OOB and was first to touch.

(Play descriptions from NFL.com)

Source: NFL Rule Digest – Forward Pass

9. If an eligible receiver goes out of bounds accidentally or is legally forced out by a defender and returns to first touch and catch a pass, the play is regarded as an incomplete pass. Loss of 5 yards.

See nfl.com/news/rulesdigest.html

But, at nfl.com/fans/rules, this does not appear!

If the pass is incomplete, Miami got an extra play.

But, should the 4th down play have been from the 1?

Or is the rule an incomplete pass and 5 yards?

Does it make any diffference what the call was on the field?

I saw the Bills game in a bar in Falls Chirch, VA and could not hear the sound very well, but it looked like a touchdown was never signaled.

Same for the Washington game. It wasn't clear whether the catch was made. But, ther NFL.com play-by-play says "complete pass ruled incomplete"

Does anyone have an actual NFL rulebook. Is one of these rulings incorrect? Are there 2 different rules? Has the rule been changed recently?

OR is this yet another screw job in Miami? (Although, I have the upmost faith the the Bills could still have found some way to lose.)

Thanks, JR Faron

Interesting find. I believe the rule should have been that it was an incomplete pass with a penalty, but you only get to pick one or the other.

If the Bills had declined, it would have been 4th down at the 1. But I don't see that as a any better than 3rd down with the 5 yard penalty.

This in an interesting questionn. 

There was a similar play in the Washington-St. Louis game today.  In both plays, the receiver stepped out of bounds, came back in, and caught a pass. 

In Buffalo v. Miami, the play was at the back of the end zone and a penalty was called:

3-1-BUF1 (:36) (Shotgun)

PENALTY on MIA-W.Welker, Illegal Touch Pass, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 1 - No Play.

In Washington v. St. Louis, the play was along a sideline and it was ruled an incomplete pass:

2-1-WAS32 (9:17) R. Fitzpatrick pass incomplete to I. Bruce. Complete pass ruled incomplete as St. Louis #80 I. Bruce went OOB and was first to touch.

(Play descriptions from NFL.com)

Source: NFL Rule Digest – Forward Pass

9. If an eligible receiver goes out of bounds accidentally or is legally forced out by a defender and returns to first touch and catch a pass, the play is regarded as an incomplete pass. Loss of 5 yards.

See nfl.com/news/rulesdigest.html

But, at nfl.com/fans/rules, this does not appear!

If the pass is incomplete, Miami got an extra play.

But, should the 4th down play have been from the 1?

Or is the rule an incomplete pass and 5 yards?

Does it make any diffference what the call was on the field?

I saw the Bills game in a bar in Falls Chirch, VA and could not hear the sound very well, but it looked like a touchdown was never signaled.

Same for the Washington game.  It wasn't clear whether the catch was made.  But, ther NFL.com play-by-play says "complete pass ruled incomplete"

Does anyone have an actual NFL rulebook.  Is one of these rulings incorrect?  Are there 2 different rules? Has the rule been changed recently? 

OR is this yet another screw job in Miami?  (Although, I have the upmost faith the the Bills could still have found some way to lose.)

Thanks, JR Faron

520000[/snapback]

Interesting analysis & man, you did your homework. Hope you had fun at Grevey's.

519406[/snapback]

I thought this happened last week with Moulds and we got a 5yd penalty & loss of a down..

I thought this happened last week with Moulds and we got a 5yd penalty & loss of a down..

520505[/snapback]

1-10-CAR10 (:26) (No Huddle) J.Losman spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-CAR10 (:25) J.Losman pass to E.Moulds to CAR 1 for 9 yards (C.Gamble). Caught at CAR 1, right side. Penalty on BUF-E.Moulds, Illegal Touch Pass, declined.

PENALTY on BUF-W.McGahee, Chop Block, 15 yards, enforced at CAR 10 - No Play.

2-25-CAR25 (:17) (Shotgun) W.McGahee left guard to CAR 27 for -2 yards (K.Lucas).

Nah it was actually declined...Mcgahee penalty came in the same play

Just a suggestion... Seems like there is a loophole here where players can step out and then catch it and it may help them.

Why not make it a loss of down penalty and then mark off the yards?... That would be like a grounding penalty?

In the Miami game... The Bills accepted (for obvious reasons)... But, Miami still had third down and two plays to get in, albeit, from 5 yards father away.

:(