Rotator cuff injuries

stevewin

In August I hurt my shoulder after a particularly intense session of throwing a football on the beach. I still have full range of motion - but it is very tender and sore at the spot where I believe the tendons are (from looking on the web). I can still throw (and even serve a tennis ball w/o excruciating pain), but I think I have also been changing my natural motion to compensate. It hasn't gotten worse to the point where I can't lift my arm, but it hasn't gotten any better either. The most frustrating thing right now is that I can't lift weights.

Just curious what other people's experiences are. Is rest pretty much what would be the initial recommendation? Are there exercises to do right away (while it is still aggravated) - or do you have to completely rest for a while until the pain goes away (ie., is it something you can just exercise/work through - or is rest a requirement?) It would be very hard for me to not use it for a long period of time - since I am very active playing sports w/ my kids and with coaching etc.

In August I hurt my shoulder after a particularly intense session of throwing a football on the beach.  I still have full range of motion - but it is very tender and sore at the spot where I believe the tendons are (from looking on the web).  I can still throw (and even serve a tennis ball w/o excruciating pain), but I think I have also been changing my natural motion to compensate.  It hasn't gotten worse to the point where I can't lift my arm, but it hasn't gotten any better either.  The most frustrating thing right now is that I can't lift weights.

Just curious what other people's experiences are.  Is rest pretty much what would be the initial recommendation?  Are there exercises to do right away (while it is still aggravated) - or do you have to completely rest for a while until the pain goes away (ie., is it something you can just exercise/work through - or is rest a requirement?)  It would be very hard for me to not use it for a long period of time - since I am very active playing sports w/ my kids and with coaching etc.

517165[/snapback]

I have a very similar nagging injury, turns out it’s bursitis. Not a whole lot that can be done, other than a cortisone injection and even then most Dr’s will exercise extreme caution in using this treatment because of the long term side effects.

If you can throw without pain, it isn't a rotar cuff tear.

517175[/snapback]

There is discomfort/pain, just not excruciating - and when I throw I have been throwing more sidearm. I have no doubt it is not a 'full' tear - but I think it might be a minor partial one.

My friend at work had it, about 6 months ago, and he is just now starting to regain full function. It will take a while to get you back to speed...

517190[/snapback]

So what did he do - just rest it?

I have a very similar nagging injury, turns out it’s bursitis.  Not a whole lot that can be done, other than a cortisone injection and even then most Dr’s will exercise extreme caution in using this treatment because of the long term side effects.

517174[/snapback]

Mine isn't in the joint per se - I can press on the tendons on the outside of my shoulder where the rotator cuff is and that is exactly where the pain is.

My Dr. expects I tore my rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I was diagnosed with tendonitis while I was in high school playing football. Since then it would flare-up everyonce in a while.

Now I have a 16th month old son and I think I hurt it more when I was lifting him. I can not sleep on my left side, lift anything with my arm extended or reach with my arm to hand someone a paper across a table.

Some days are worse than others. For about a week the pain was constant and interfered with my day-to-day activites. Most days it just hurts when I lift or move it in a certain way. I also have noticed that I have lost range of motion though I do not know if that is due to pain or actual mechanical restriction.

I have an appointment with an orthopedic Dr. in January. I am only 31 so I do not want to have surgury. It looks like it is physical therapy and anti-inflamatories for me.

I had rotator cuff surgery about 4 years ago. I had similar issues, the docs told me to rest it for 2 weeks then I went back to the gym, still issues, rest it for 4 weeks, went back to the gym, still issues, had an MRI done and discovered a small tear. They went in and fixed it up, also fixed up my shoulder thermal capsular something because they saw something in there that needed fixing. Now I must tell you that it was an extreme tough recovery process but I felt a lot better. One thing I would suggest is that you stay with the rehab process. I started to slack at the end and it still took me a long time to throw a baseball again and I would not say I'm back to 100% but that is only for really awkward motions that are weak. I don't know if it was the rotator cuff or shoulder or the combination that caused most of my issues but it was tough. PM me if you want more info.

It's likely that one of the reasons you have rotator cuff problems is BECAUSE you lift weights.  Bench and military pressing with heavy weight generally leads to such issues.

517317[/snapback]

Well - the cause of the current pain was definitely a direct result of throwing that one particular day. Are you saying that heavy or improper lifting can make it more susceptible to injury?

Scraps sent me a PM and recommended a book called "7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution" - I did some initial looking on the web and it looks very highly regarded - among other things it is supposed to emphasize what exercises are good/bad for the shoulders. Now I got one more thing for my Xmas list...

Well - the cause of the current pain was definitely a direct result of throwing that one particular day.  Are you saying that heavy or improper lifting can make it more susceptible to injury?

Scraps sent me a PM and recommended a book called "7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution" - I did some initial looking on the web and it looks very highly regarded - among other things it is supposed to emphasize what exercises are good/bad for the shoulders.  Now I got one more thing for my Xmas list...

517323[/snapback]

Have you tried shaving the hair off of your right palm and using a left handed grip for a while?

I am only 31 so I do not want to have surgury. It looks like it is physical therapy and anti-inflamatories for me.

517232[/snapback]

Having surgery now will be much easier than having it 5 years from now. The younger you are, the quicker you will recover.

I had complete reconstructive surgery when I was 17. I was able to make a full recovery in time for the season. It took about 5 months to recover fully. I was healthy enough to play for another 4 years...

I avoided having my other shoulder fixed, now I regret waiting. The doctor tells me the recover now will be three times as long to get back to 100 percent and will only go up the longer I wait.

If you need the surgery, bro, get it done while you are young. Just my non-MD advice.