Tom Cruise buys sonogram machine?!!

lawnboy1977

Cruise Slammed for Sonogram Machine Purchase

Tom Cruise has been slammed for buying a sonogram machine for his pregnant fiancee Katie Holmes, with health experts warning that he's putting his unborn child at risk. Officials at the American College of Radiology (ACR) are highly concerned by Cruise's revelation that he purchased the device to track his child's progress, and they're warning him that he could be breaking the law if he's carrying out the scans himself. Dr. Carol M. Rumack, of the ACR Ultrasound Commission, says, "This is a patient safety issue. Untrained people, even if they have the financial means, should not buy, or be allowed to buy and operate, ultrasound machines which are, in fact, medical devices and should not be used without a medical indication. Images of the fetus are an opportunity to diagnose problems before birth that may require treatment. These images should be obtained by certified technologists under the supervision of physicians properly trained in ultrasound... The ACR is concerned that Tom Cruise has been badly advised regarding the use and potential abuse of ultrasound. There are many abnormalities that may be missed by the untrained eye. Also, if it is not medically necessary, the use of ultrasound raises unnecessary physical risk to the fetus."

I'm wondering if being a scientologist prevents him from going to hospitals since they are against using any kind of medication. Of course we all know that when the baby is born he/she will be taken away to the planet Xarkon VII and be indocrinated in the ways of the international scientologists association.

Tom Cruise has been slammed for buying a sonogram machine for his pregnant fiancee Katie Holmes, with health experts warning that he's putting his unborn child at risk. Officials at the American College of Radiology (ACR) are highly concerned by Cruise's revelation that he purchased the device to track his child's progress, and they're warning him that he could be breaking the law if he's carrying out the scans himself. Dr. Carol M. Rumack, of the ACR Ultrasound Commission, says, "This is a patient safety issue. Untrained people, even if they have the financial means, should not buy, or be allowed to buy and operate, ultrasound machines which are, in fact, medical devices and should not be used without a medical indication. Images of the fetus are an opportunity to diagnose problems before birth that may require treatment. These images should be obtained by certified technologists under the supervision of physicians properly trained in ultrasound... The ACR is concerned that Tom Cruise has been badly advised regarding the use and potential abuse of ultrasound. There are many abnormalities that may be missed by the untrained eye. Also, if it is not medically necessary, the use of ultrasound raises unnecessary physical risk to the fetus."

I'm wondering if being a scientologist prevents him from going to hospitals since they are against using any kind of medication.  Of course we all know that when the baby is born he/she will be taken away to the planet Xarkon VII and be indocrinated in the ways of the international scientologists association.

516914[/snapback]

Bah. It's not like he said he's going to do a cesarian with a butter knife or anything. I think she's assuming he's using this in place of medical care. Unless they can actually do *damage* with the machine, it's just another case of rich boy playing with rich boy toys. He said he's going to donate it to a hospital when he's through, as well.

And it's *intergalactic* scientologists association, *not* international. :doh:

Tom and Katie's child is going to be named after its parents.

If it is a girl, it will be named Katie.

If it is a boy, it will be named in vitro. :doh:

(I stole that from either Jon Stewart or SNL. I cannot remember which one)

And it's *intergalactic* scientologists association, *not* international.  :D

516927[/snapback]

are they helping George Bush build his secret base on the Moon? And so, won't that screw up the sonogram since sound travels the same speed as light up there? :D

I'm wondering if being a scientologist prevents him from going to hospitals since they are against using any kind of medication.  Of course we all know that when the baby is born he/she will be taken away to the planet Xarkon VII and be indocrinated in the ways of the international scientologists association.

516914[/snapback]

I am NOT a Scientologist, but I don't beleive Scientology is opposed to the use of medicine,or hospitals, for that amtter. Scientologists don't believe that psychiatry is a valid science, and they believe the use of psycho-active medicines (tranqulizers, anti depressents, anti psychotics, etc) is wrong. This is most likely becuase the founder of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard, was probably a loon himself. I don't believe they have a problem with other medical treatments and medications, but I could be wrong.

all i know (im really just guessing) is that a sonogram is almost always used by a nurse. and im guessing there is a reason for that. why risk your childs health by trying to use a machine you havent been trained to use.

i dont care what he believes. thats not the point. the point is he wants to buy and use medical equipment on his pregnant wife when he probubly isnt trained to use it. thats dangerous.

but if there isnt a law agenst it, we will have to let Darwin sort it all out. :D

all i know is that a sonogram is almost always used by a nurse. and im guessing there is a reason for that. why risk your childs health by trying to use a machine you havent been trained to use.

i dont care what he believes. thats not the point. the point is he wants to buy and use medical equipment on his pregnant wife when he probubly isnt trained to use it. thats dangerous.

but if there isnt a law agenst it, we will have to let Darwin sort it all out.  0:)

517094[/snapback]

Yeah, a stethoscope and a sty.. styg..Sphyg...sp...er.. blood pressure meter are used by a nurse or a tech, too. Trust me, I'm no Tom Cruise fan, but I highly doubt he would do anything that could risk the life of his little one. Just another case of "got the money."

I'm no doctor, but sonograms are simply high frequency sound waves. I'd think the pressure applied to her abdomen would be more dangerous than the machine itself, unless of course, they were taking pictures in the bathtub. Hell, they sell "hear your baby" microphones that do almost the same thing at Babies 'R Us. I can understand folks being upset if he had purchased a bone saw and a morphine pump for his sick grandmother, but I don't think this is much of anything...

I really doubt this is a replacement for medical care. Just something to do when he's bored. You know, between hollywood parties, Lamborghini shopping, and banging the hell out of Katie Homes.

-Jeff

I am NOT a Scientologist, but I don't beleive Scientology is opposed to the use of medicine,or hospitals, for that amtter.  Scientologists don't believe that psychiatry is a valid science, and they believe the use of psycho-active medicines (tranqulizers, anti depressents, anti psychotics, etc) is wrong.  This is most likely becuase the founder of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard, was probably a loon himself.  I don't believe they have a problem with other medical treatments and medications, but I could be wrong.

517077[/snapback]

OK, according to wikipedia's article on scientology, they are mainly opposed to psychiatric medication. I wouldnt be surprised though if they are weary of all forms of medication. Just from what I've heard them say, about medication just hding the problem and not fixing it, I would think that kind of mentality would make it hard to draw the line somewhere.

Scientology Criticism

I think it's funny how these Tom Cruise medical debates play out in the media, as if Tom Cruise were anything other than the borderline-"Dawgged", in-the-closet, space-alien-worshipping jackass that he is. It's very fortunate for him that his stupid smirky face has some weird hypnotic effect on a category of dumb broads who happen to comprise a valuable marketing demographic. What a tool!

OK, according to wikipedia's article on scientology, they are mainly opposed to psychiatric medication.  I wouldnt be surprised though if they are weary of all forms of medication.  Just from what I've heard them say, about medication just hding the problem and not fixing it, I would think that kind of mentality would make it hard to draw the line somewhere.

Scientology Criticism

517795[/snapback]

I thought Scientologists were opposed to all forms of mediation. You know, since they sue everybody who criticizes them. :lol::devil:

Jeff used the phrase "banging the hell out of Katie Holmes". That's funny, because I'm pretty sure 95% of the guys on this board would like to do the same thing.

Mike