Do you want to see the Colts go 19-0 ?

Niagara Bill

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not going to risk their stars for a dumb record.

516220[/snapback]

Yeah, some dumb record, like being considered the greatest single season a team has ever played. I know the ultimate goal is to win your last game, but Dungy is doing a disservice to the NFL, his team, and the fans if he doesn't at least take a shot at it. Plus, if they go 19-0, they would only need to start next year at 3-0 to topple the Patriots streak of 21 straight wins (somebody correct me if 21 is wrong for the Pats win streak.)

As much as i hate the dolphins, i love the history of the game, so no, i don't want the colts to go 19-0.  In the world that we live in of hype hype hype, i'd love for the hype to be eaten, at the colts expense.

516204[/snapback]

If you love the history of the game, you should be cherishing moments like this. This is an attempt at history. When players/teams approach records, it brings more recognition and appreciation to the original record setter.

As far as hype, I know the "ESPN Age" is hard to take sometimes. But only 11 teams ever have gone 11-0. This is not Tedy Bruschi. I think this time, the Colts might be worth the hype. And the best part is, it will not be handed to them. They still have to play Jacksonville (all be it without Leftwich), San Diego, and Seattle to go undefeated. It will not be automatic.

As for me, I'd like to see them do it. Screw the 1972 Dolphins. That team went undefeated, and the lasting memories are: 1) their kicker whiffing on an attempted pass in the Super Bowl; and 2) those cocky bastards rooting against undefeateds and popping champagne upon a loss. What a squad.

Peyton = good

Marvin's a good ol' 'Cuse boy, the kind we NEVER draft. Classy.

Peyton to Marvin = Kelly to Reed

Also, much as I don't like Polian personally and the Irsays are a bunch of azzholes, it would be nice to see Polian recognized and, by extension, the great teams he built here.

Go Colts, indeed. Especially since we probably won't play them this year.

Yeah, some dumb record, like being considered the greatest single season a team has ever played.  I know the ultimate goal is to win your last game, but Dungy is doing a disservice to the NFL, his team, and the fans if he doesn't at least take a shot at it.

516300[/snapback]

What a load.

If Manning or any key Indy player got hurt with the home field advantage already in the bag, Dungy would be destroyed in the press and rightfully so.

Ooooooh look, something shiny !

What a load.

If Manning or any key Indy player got hurt with the home field advantage already in the bag, Dungy would be destroyed in the press and rightfully so.

516329[/snapback]

But would that have happened 25 years ago? Would Johnny U have rested up for the playoffs? Honest question. Screw the press, these guys have got a game to play.

What a load.

516329[/snapback]

I disagree. There is always second-guessing, but I think Dungy would get a pass for taking a run at a prestigious record which would cement your team in history. There will be plenty of media members who would lambaste him, but plenty others who would applaud him.

I know it only takes one play, but Manning, Harrison, and Edge have been among the most durable players in the NFL over their careers. Why give them two weeks off at the end of the season, plus the bye week? It is ultimately Dungy's call, but it is my feeling that the players want to play and want to win every game. Guys get hurt when they're playing not to get hurt.

But would that have happened 25 years ago?  Would Johnny U have rested up for the playoffs?  Honest question.  Screw the press, these guys have got a game to play.

516331[/snapback]

Johnny U was playing in 1980? :doh:

Unitas would not have rested. Of course, the mentality of the players and the media is vastly different now, which is why people are rested when a team clinches playoff berths/home field.

The Risk/Reward theory only applies to the playoffs in order to reach/win the Super Bowl.

Records never should come into play.

516340[/snapback]

But you are totally discounting the players opinion on this matter. If I'm Manning or Harrison or any other player on the Colts that has that competitive fire burning within me you're damn right I want a shot at going undefeated. The players on a team that went 19-0 would me immortalized far beyond what they'd be just for winning a Super Bowl. Why do you think we're sick and tired hearing about the '72 Dolphins all the time? Because they are brought up constantly. How many times in comparison to they bring up individual Super Bowl Champs?

The undefeated record is BIG. Fug sittin' down, if I'm a player I'm going for it.

Johnny U was playing in 1980?  :doh:

Unitas would not have rested. Of course, the mentality of the players and the media is vastly different now, which is why people are rested when a team clinches playoff berths/home field.

516338[/snapback]

No, obviously he didn't play in 1980. Sorry the two sentences seemed to associate with one another. I'm merely saying, 25, 30, 40 years ago this wouldn't even be an issue. The guy would play, if he gets hurt, that's what happens in football. No whining.

I think it's what happens in football now, but it's as much because of the media as it is due to the emergence of a lot of tactics outside of the game to gain an edge.

Hell yah i do, not only would it shut those damn 72 dolfags up, but then everyones going to forget about those 3 squeakers that the patsies pulled out and focus on Indy.

An Indy 19-0 season = the end of the media masterbation of NE

Yes they should. You play this game for the glory of proving you're the best. That's why everyone wants the Lombardi Trophy. That's also why the Colts should be gunning for 19-0.

516355[/snapback]

You mentioned the Lombardi Trophy first, instead of 19-0.

I wonder why

No, obviously he didn't play in 1980.  Sorry the two sentences seemed to associate with one another.  I'm merely saying, 25, 30, 40 years ago this wouldn't even be an issue.  The guy would play, if he gets hurt, that's what happens in football.  No whining.

I think it's what happens in football now, but it's as much because of the media as it is due to the emergence of a lot of tactics outside of the game to gain an edge.

516352[/snapback]

I can see both sides of the argument, and both have valid points.

Those who would not rest their starters (if they have a shot @ an unbeaten season) seem to feel that it's a big part of history that the team should shoot for, if they're in the position to do so. That doesn't sound too unreasonable.

However...

Those who would rest their starters seem to feel that the most important thing is to be in the position to win it all, not break a record. The focus should be on the championship, not the record. Another premise that seems reasonable.

Personally, I'd try to have my team go for the record. Now, I wouldn't unnecessarily risk a player's health to do so (for example: I wouldn't start Edgerrin James if he wasn't fully healthy), but as long as they're healthy, I'd take a shot @ it. Like Mike Ditka said on ESPN the other evening, the record is memorable, probably more so than being a champion. More people will remember the Dolphins for winning every game en route to a championship than they will a team that won a title but didn't win them all.

In the long run, who's right? Who cares. All it does is give people more topics to debate. Is Thurman Thomas' chance of getting in the Hall of Fame diminished by not winning a rushing title that Marv Levy, by resting him, in effect gave to Barry Sanders (when the teams played each other @ the end of the 1991 season)? I don't think so, but who's to say?

Hell yah i do, not only would it shut those damn 72 dolfags up, but then everyones going to forget about those 3 squeakers that the patsies pulled out and focus on Indy.

An Indy 19-0 season = the end of the media masterbation of NE

516360[/snapback]

Bingo. Adios Marcia...history will ultimately frown on a mediocre system QB, especially if they never win another one. Like The Fridge, Brady will soon be a "Where are they now" story.