More proof of JP's progress

Mikie2times

I'm not quite yet prepared to annoint Parrish as a starting and effective WR.

516566[/snapback]

Nor me, I think Parrish at best might turn into an Az Hakim type (ie 3rd WR and primary punt returner). That's why think if we do let Moulds go that sign a WR with size that can can be counted on to move the chains. Guys on my short list are Antonio Bryant and David Givens.

Nor me, I think Parrish at best might turn into an Az Hakim type (ie 3rd WR and primary punt returner). That's why think if we do let Moulds go that sign a WR with size that can can be counted on to move the chains. Guys on my short list are Antonio Bryant and David Givens.

516569[/snapback]

Well, if the Bills have the bucks and the will, Cincy's Chad Johnson may well be avaliable. His lovable agent, Rosenhaus, has had meetings with him in the stadium parking lot several times - holdout is the speculation.

Curiously - or not so curiously, the B'gals drafted into the wr position last year despite being well-stocked.

Well, if the Bills have the bucks and the will, Cincy's Chad Johnson may well be avaliable. His lovable agent, Rosenhaus, has had meetings with him in the stadium parking lot several times - holdout iis the speculation.

Curiously - or not so curiously, the B'gals drafted into the wr position last year despite being well-stocked.

516577[/snapback]

If Cincy let's Johnson go they'll be thought of the Bungles again, I can't see them letting go of argueably the best WR playing football right now.

If Cincy let's Johnson go they'll be thought of the Bungles again, I can't see them letting go of argueably the best WR playing football right now.

516586[/snapback]

If a player holds out, what can a team do? They won't cut their cap throat or salary structure for one player. If they do that, bye-bye. They stumbled on a qb that throws Class-A balls to any reciever - short, medium or long patterns. CJ is very good, but if he goes, he goes. But Palmer's emergence makes all the wr's look spiffy.

They are getting slapped around on the ground game - lost one starting safety before the season and lost a promising star at that spot a few games in. Their DT's are gamers but nothing special. LB's, CB's are doing well - O'Neal seems resurrected, and Tory James is competent - usually. Rookie Odell Thurman is getting some ink, but he's over-pursuing like the raw player he is - but if you want to push the B'gals around, just keep popping up the middle. CHI and MIN did that for a while against them with success, but for mystifying reasons decided to rely on passes by two obviously flat qb's having very bad days.

You can also beat the B'gals by hitting the TE.

Losing CJ would hurt, but there are other areas that need improvement. Among them is special teams coverage and kicking (Graham had a bad groin problem coming out of pre-season - his KO's stink) and the mediocre play of the DT's. They get an A for effort - they are not bums - but the results are iffy at best.

It's always nice to see a podunk franchise emerge from the ashes, but the B'gals will need a magic year like STL had to sniff a playoff run.

IMO. :doh:

And his nasty habit of staring at receivers.

But mostly the yardwork thing.  :doh:  :D

516627[/snapback]

I've more confidence that can be coached out of him at this point (the locking on receivers, can't vouch for the Favre-love). ;)

Hell, Drew was perma-locked on Moulds. I think Wyche can be reasonably expected to help JP get better in that dept. At least he's in development, instead of still doing it 10-12 years into his career.

The reason the 2 Td passes vs. KC worked was because JP Held the safety in the middle of the field.

So if he was locking too much on WR's at one point, he seems to be evolving past that.

516647[/snapback]

It was definitely cool to see him looking off guys in the KC game. I wish they'd use more play-action, also, I think the kid has a good fake. However, the best RB in the game has to be earning yards for that to work.

What does L. Tomlinson have to do with how well our play action pass attack works?  :doh:

516695[/snapback]

If running backs around the league do well, defensive players become conditioned to play against the run. Therefore, even if a particular team's running attack is not very good, defenders will still bite on the play-action out of habit.

Exactly...and no one felt compelled to defend Manning for even worse play. 

Probably because they knew he'd improve.  Losman's about as good as he's going to get.

516565[/snapback]

You need to be knocked around by a utility pole.

Your argument goes something like this: Losman sucks because no one ever had to defend Eli Manning.

That's lahjik.

FWIW, your argument is so stupid that I'm loathe to engage you in debate on it. Nevertheless, if you google "eli manning bust," you'll get a whole bunch of blog morons and articles talking about whether Eli was a bust last year.

The defining JP moment for me in the Carolina game:

He took a five-step drop, then moved quickly and smoothly into the pocket and fired a completion while all hell was breaking loose around him. At that moment, he looked like an NFL QB. No happy feet, no hesitation. There's going to be good and bad for a while, but he's going to be a good one.

Exactly...and no one felt compelled to defend Manning for even worse play. 

Probably because they knew he'd improve.  Losman's about as good as he's going to get.

516565[/snapback]

Is this for real?

Nobody felt compelled to defend Eli because they were to busy calling him the biggest best since Tony Mandrich. His performance last year nearly got him thrown out of New York City. You think the Bills fans freaked out? Try putting on an even worse show then JP in a media city like that. It wasn't like all the Giants fans sat around patiently knowing that their Peyton Manning would emerge. The guy was under a ton of pressure, and media and fan base was questioning if he could get it turned around.

Even if you refuse to allow that into some of the faultiest logic I ever seen, how does the fan, or media’s need to defend somebody have anything to do with a QB's future chance at a success? Are you implying that if a players pedigree was higher then JP's we would all be comfortable enough with a poor performance to not question his ability? Eli may come from the same gene pool as Archie and Peyton, but the consensus was Losman being the most physically gifted QB in the draft that year, just not the most polished.

I can't say for sure he's going to be a great QB, but I know for a fact neither can anybody else, especially not somebody basing their logic on an obscure opinion that makes little sense, and has no evidence to back it up with.

The defining JP moment for me in the Carolina game:

He took a five-step drop, then moved quickly and smoothly into the pocket and fired a completion while all hell was breaking loose around him.  At that moment, he looked like an NFL QB.  No happy feet, no hesitation. 

516765[/snapback]

If you're talking about the second play of our last drive, IMO you're absolutely correct.

In 4 of our previous drives on the day he had met similar situations the same way he had been before the benching by sliding sideways when the line was doing a decent job and he had a pocket to move into. Bailing on the pocket is this kid's (initial) Achille's heel- and it comes with a debilitating effect on your linemen if the slide out results in a poor outcome.

But FINALLY after all this time I've been waiting for it to happen, and literally moments after I had just explained to J.P.'s biggest fan that the benching was due to the team hoping he would learn to step into the pocket- VIOLA!- there it was, J.P. looking like a veteran NFL QB by making a good if not spectacular play as a result of moving up into a protected pocket and in this case checking down a read. His big supporter turned to me and yelled "JUST LIKE THAT?", followed by my own "Just like that".

Now if he can be convinced to show us the same thing 6 or 7 times every Sunday, the road ahead may begin to look a lot more favorable.

Well, for our offense anyway ;-)