Exerpt from Greg Easterbrook Column

Exceprt from Greg Easterbrook Column on NFL.com today

Worst Blocks: Cowardly Lions coaches may have done poorly at the Thanksgiving Day game against Atlanta, but Detroit players couldn't be bothered with much effort, either. Lions trailing 17-0, Joey Harrington is sacked for an 11-yard loss as linemen Jeff Backus and Kyle Kosier just stand there watching, making no attempt whatsoever to protect their quarterback. Twice against Minnesota, Trent Dilfer was hit in the pocket and lost fumbles; on both plays three Cleveland offensive linemen are standing there doing nothing, making no attempt to protect their quarterback. And they're starting to whisper the "b" word about Bills' quarterback J.P. Losman, but such whispering is premature: after all, Losman has yet to play behind a professional offensive line. Carolina leading 3-0, Losman was sacked as the listless Mike Williams -- fourth overall pick in the 2002 draft and highest-paid player in Buffalo history -- just stood their watching, no attempt to protect his quarterback. Two snaps later, Losman was forced to scramble for no gain on third-and-8 after a three-man Panthers rush almost instantly penetrated six Buffalo blockers, including the listless Williams, who just stood there watching. Consistently Losman is getting only two-Mississippi before he has to run for his life; Buffalo's offensive line rivals Houston's for worst in the league.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've all known this for years. TD thinks he can band-aid a line together. This just in! It aint gonna happen! Get some proven OL in here next year. No more scraps from other teams. I don't fault you for Mike Williams but Gandy, Anderson and Teague, ugh! Chris V is solid but aging. GET SOME REAL LINEMEN TD!!!!!!!!! Now back to your regular programming.

Exceprt from Greg Easterbrook Column on NFL.com today

Worst Blocks: Cowardly Lions coaches may have done poorly at the Thanksgiving Day game against Atlanta, but Detroit players couldn't be bothered with much effort, either. Lions trailing 17-0, Joey Harrington is sacked for an 11-yard loss as linemen Jeff Backus and Kyle Kosier just stand there watching, making no attempt whatsoever to protect their quarterback. Twice against Minnesota, Trent Dilfer was hit in the pocket and lost fumbles; on both plays three Cleveland offensive linemen are standing there doing nothing, making no attempt to protect their quarterback. And they're starting to whisper the "b" word about Bills' quarterback J.P. Losman, but such whispering is premature: after all, Losman has yet to play behind a professional offensive line. Carolina leading 3-0, Losman was sacked as the listless Mike Williams -- fourth overall pick in the 2002 draft and highest-paid player in Buffalo history -- just stood their watching, no attempt to protect his quarterback. Two snaps later, Losman was forced to scramble for no gain on third-and-8 after a three-man Panthers rush almost instantly penetrated six Buffalo blockers, including the listless Williams, who just stood there watching. Consistently Losman is getting only two-Mississippi before he has to run for his life; Buffalo's offensive line rivals

Houston's for worst in the league.

515676[/snapback]

Regardless of who the GM/Head Coach/uniforms/whatever are in 2006. if the Bills don't spend all of their FA dollars and high picks on O-line, then the draft is a failure in my book. I don't want to hear about speed, motors, semi-conductors or cadalitic converters, I want big beefy men to clog the trenches in order for JP to throw, Evans to catch and Willis to run.

And no, that's not a cry for help, or is it? :U

Regardless of who the GM/Head Coach/uniforms/whatever are in 2006. if the Bills don't spend all of their FA dollars and high picks on O-line, then the draft is a failure in my book.  I don't want to hear about speed, motors, semi-conductors or cadalitic converters, I want big beefy men to clog the trenches in order for JP to throw, Evans to catch and Willis to run. 

And no, that's not a cry for help, or is it? :U

515803[/snapback]

I am with you, drafting anybody smaller than a Mongolian eating champion is not going to go down any more.

I want big beefy men to clog the trenches in order for JP to throw, Evans to catch and Willis to run. 

515803[/snapback]

That's already the problem. Our line is too big, this strategy works on defense, to clog running lanes, but as far as offensive line goes, it's better to have smaller more athletic linemen. Our line is already quite large. I believe we have the 2nd largest oline in the league next to the vikings. It's better to have the more athletic linemen who won't trip over their own legs. Linemen who can drive block for running plays, and move their feet in pass protection.

Uhm,, isn't big Mike a pretty large man?

515812[/snapback]

Yeah, but he is the size of at least three Mongolian eating champions.

Mongolian eating champions also make excellent horsemen. :rolleyes:

I want linemen, I have just hated the past years watching Diem, Wilfork, etc get passed over for speed guys.

That's already the problem.  Our line is too big, this strategy works on defense, to clog running lanes, but as far as offensive line goes,  it's better to have smaller more athletic linemen.  Our line is already quite large. I believe we have the 2nd largest oline in the league next to the vikings.  It's better to have the more athletic linemen who won't trip over their own legs.  Linemen who can drive block for running plays, and move their feet in pass protection.

515816[/snapback]

You're right--just look at Denver's o-line. They are comprised of agile, average size men who get the job done.

You're right--just look at Denver's o-line.  They are comprised of agile, average size men who get the job done.

515823[/snapback]

And chop-block and clip and ruin opposing players.

I hate Denver. :rolleyes:

And their buck-toothed qb of a few years ago who routinely passed beyond the LOS - year after year. He was that era's Brady...

I agree. I think you give JP a offensive line next year and we'll have a hell of a quarterback. I think he fits with Buffalo culture too!

515755[/snapback]

That's the problem with Losman. You have to give him a good OL, good WRs, good TEs, and a good RB before he's any good. What a loser. :rolleyes:

CW

That's the problem with Losman.  You have to give him a good OL, good WRs, good TEs, and a good RB before he's any good.  What a loser.  :rolleyes:

CW

515835[/snapback]

Gee...when the offense sucked and Bledsoe needed all that, it was Bledsoe's fault.

I guess the current offensive putrescence must all be Losman's fault, then. :unsure:

That's already the problem.  Our line is too big, this strategy works on defense, to clog running lanes, but as far as offensive line goes,  it's better to have smaller more athletic linemen.  Our line is already quite large. I believe we have the 2nd largest oline in the league next to the vikings.  It's better to have the more athletic linemen who won't trip over their own legs.  Linemen who can drive block for running plays, and move their feet in pass protection.

515816[/snapback]

And not stepping on the quarterbacks ankles 1.5 seconds after the snap as they are pushed off the line of scrimmage.

Gee...when the offense sucked and Bledsoe needed all that, it was Bledsoe's fault.

I guess the current offensive putrescence must all be Losman's fault, then.  :rolleyes:

515838[/snapback]

Well, the people who thought it was all DBs fault obviously must believe it's all JPLs fault this year, considering the rally cry was, "Nobody can be worse than Bledsoe, not even Stojan's grandmother!!!"

And for the sarcasm-impaired, I don't believe it's JPL (just like it wasn't DB); I've been saying it's the OL for years.

CW