Dear Bill Polian

RochBillsFan

RochBills has a point. Indy is the best team in the league right now, and Bill Polian is the reason why. San Diego, under the leadership of Butler/A.J. Smith, is a much better team than Buffalo. It's annoying to watch those Wilson has rejected succeed, while TD continues to flounder.

Don't forget that Polian also rebuilt the Panthers into a contender as well.

Also, I found this...very interesting....

On February 4, 1993, after the Bills had appeared in their 3rd straight Super Bowl, Bill Polian was fired as general manager. Polian wasn't fired because he wasn't doing a good job, he was fired because he didn't get along with treasurer, Jeff Littmann, for reasons unknown to all except those close to owner Ralph Wilson, Littmann and Polian himself.

Here's the full link

http://www.geocities.com/bflobuzrd_2000/polian.html

Anyone know anything about this?

I met Bill Polian and his sons before during their time in Carolina. He is extremely loyal to the core. He wants to be around his own people. With that being said, he also likes to run things his way. He left Carolina after Daddy Richardson promoted his snot-nosed son Mark to President. He had issues with Mark and didn't feel he deserved the honor. They butted heads numerous times until Bill left for Indy. The next years were some of the worst football Carolina ever played and the boned headed moves affected them for years.

Say what you will about the man, but he has a track record of success.

I met Bill Polian and his sons before during their time in Carolina. He is extremely loyal to the core. He wants to be around his own people. With that being said, he also likes to run things his way. He left Carolina after Daddy Richardson promoted his snot-nosed son Mark to President. He had issues with Mark and didn't feel he deserved the honor. They butted heads numerous times until Bill left for Indy. The next years were some of the worst football Carolina ever played and the boned headed moves affected them for years.

515411[/snapback]

Didn't he leave Carolina in a bit of a cap mess? That's what I recall, but dunno if it is true or not.

Didn't we get Donahue from Pittsburgh, back when they were struggling?

515560[/snapback]

Donahoe was forced to resign in a power struggle after the 1999/2000 season, after the Steelers posted a 6-10 mark and missed the playoffs for the second year in a row. Somehow I guess Cowher managed to completely rebuild a new team the next season, and in 2001, after promoting their TE coach at the time to OC they were suddenly contenders again. I don't know the specifics but I imagine since TD is so bad at running teams that the Steelers never saw any success under him that there might have been 3-5 players left on the Steelers in 2001/2002 that were around when Donahoe was there...and it was the complete overhaul of the roster that returned the Steelers to past glory....

I miss Polian every time I watch the Colts play.

This year in particular, the Colts have really reminded me of the Bills of the early 90's. I hope they go undefeated (so the stupid '72 Dolphins can't do their champagne anymore - esp. since they had such an easy schedule that year) and I hope they win a Super Bowl for Polian.

I don't miss Butler/AJ Smith because even though the Chargers are successful - they did leave our salary cap in a mess.

Donahoe was forced to resign in a power struggle after the 1999/2000 season, after the Steelers posted a 6-10 mark and missed the playoffs for the second year in a row.  Somehow I guess Cowher managed to completely rebuild a new team the next season, and in 2001, after promoting their TE coach at the time to OC they were suddenly contenders again.  I don't know the specifics but I imagine since TD is so bad at running teams that the Steelers never saw any success under him that there might have been 3-5 players left on the Steelers in 2001/2002 that were around when Donahoe was there...and it was the complete overhaul of the roster that returned the Steelers to past glory....

515576[/snapback]

I think a house-cleaning is the way to go. With FA the way it is, players come and go all the time anyway. The clean sweep worked for the idiot B'gals - there's 11 players left from the squad that opened the '03 season. They picked up numerous FA's in their days wandering in the desert - basically worn-out players desireous of another paycheck. The only ones that I recall being worthwhile were LB Kevin Hardy and DT Oliver Gibson.

I don't miss Butler/AJ Smith because even though the Chargers are successful - they did leave our salary cap in a mess.

But they took a shot and went for the Bowl in 98/99. Butler said all along he pointed to 99 as the last dance and we'd have to take some lumps after that. IF he made it, noone in Bills Nation would have had a problem with a few 3-13s.

The next years were some of the worst football Carolina ever played and the boned headed moves affected them for years.

515411[/snapback]

The "bone-headed" move that you are talking is their signing of Sean Gilbert

DT from washington....They gave his a 40M contract and also gave up 2 1st

rounders to the Redskins.

it does add to the current frustration that our former GM is now the GM of the best team in the league, and the Sabres' former GM [Muckler] is now the GM of the best team in that league.

515656[/snapback]

Thanks for pointing that out... :rolleyes:

:unsure:

Donahoe was forced to resign in a power struggle after the 1999/2000 season, after the Steelers posted a 6-10 mark and missed the playoffs for the second year in a row.  Somehow I guess Cowher managed to completely rebuild a new team the next season, and in 2001, after promoting their TE coach at the time to OC they were suddenly contenders again.  I don't know the specifics but I imagine since TD is so bad at running teams that the Steelers never saw any success under him that there might have been 3-5 players left on the Steelers in 2001/2002 that were around when Donahoe was there...and it was the complete overhaul of the roster that returned the Steelers to past glory....

515576[/snapback]

Post TD, the steelers record each year is as follows:

2000: 9-7 missed the playoffs

2001: 13-3 lost to NE in championship game

2002: lost to Titans in the AFC Div round

2003: 6-19 no playoffs

2004: 15-1 Big ben takes them to AFC champ game, where they lose to NE

2005: 7-4 with losses to Indy, NE

In 5 years, they have made the playoffs 3 times and missed it twice.

515595[/snapback]

I agree...Also Butler/Smith have had drafted in the Top 5 positions for quite

a while and were lucky to get excellent trade values when they owned the

1st overall pick both times.....1st they got LT (from the Vick Trade) and

then they got Rivers and anohter 1st rounder for the Eli Manning trade...

Considering where the bills have drafted, they have been unlucky.....

Also, just two years ago the chargers had the worst OL in football.....

Sometimes, you need just that extra bit of luck to make the difference....