Moving from Florida but where to go????

My wife and I are considering a move to either North or South Carolina. We have lived in Florida for many years, but it is simply too expensive. With the high cost of childcare, high home prices, risk of hurricanes and low income, the sunshine state is no longer manageable for my family. We have made several smart home purchases, so we could probably almost pay cash for a home or have a small mortgage on something around 200k.

My question for all of you, please name some nice towns in either of the Carolinas which are growing, affordable and family friendly. We prefer a nice suburb with young families.

Also for all you members who live in Carolina, please email if you could I have a bunch of questions.My email is Hugebillsfan1@yahoo.com Thanks Doug

You mentioned hurricanes. Would you rather live inland and not on the coast, or are the hurricanes just a part of the bigger picture?

And yup, Asheville is nice. Actually, there are a lot of good towns down there, and Asheville's one of 'em for sure.

My wife and I are considering a move to either North or South Carolina. We have lived in Florida for many years, but it is simply too expensive. With the high cost of childcare, high home prices, risk of hurricanes and low income, the sunshine state is no longer manageable for my family. We have made several smart home purchases, so we could probably almost pay cash for a home or have a small mortgage on something around 200k.

My question for all of you, please name some nice towns in either of the Carolinas which are growing, affordable and family friendly. We prefer a nice suburb with young families.

Also for all you members who live in Carolina, please email if you could I have a bunch of questions.My email is Hugebillsfan1@yahoo.com  Thanks Doug

506239[/snapback]

It all depends; I grew up in NC and currently live in Hampton Roads. If you are the city type and need to be close to an urban environment but at the same time still live in a rural setting then any suburbs surrounding Charlotte and Raliegh-Durham is great; Greensboro-Winston Salem isn't bad also. At least if you move to the Charlotte area you would have access to a few pro sports teams. The cost of living is cheap there comapred to most areas within 100 miles of the east coast. Hampton Roads is a little more expensive but asides from not having a pro sports team, any other facet in life can be enjoyed here, especially with easy access to the water. Now you could really make out in any small town in NC as the cost of living will be cheap but boring if the quiet life isn't for you.

Even though I live in Raleigh, I would concur with Asheville and Western North Carolina...Asheville is becoming a tech and bio tech hub as well. It really is the town I think that Richard Florida had in mind when he defined the creative class.

I was out there 4 months ago and met with about 12 entrepreneurs. Each company that pitched had a viable idea and 6 that were less than a year old were cash flow positive. Ideas as diverse as the latest antenna technologies, a drug development app that can speed the process of development by 30-40% (This one is really taking off); and companies spurring up around data mining the information in NOAA's National Climatic Data Center (which basically houses the entire history of US and world (since late 1800's) Weather) located in Asheville are all sprouting up...in addition to the Biltmore empire, etc. Lots of opportunity.

Even though I live in Raleigh, I would concur with Asheville and Western North Carolina...Asheville is becoming a tech and bio tech hub as well.  It really is the town I think that Richard Florida had in mind when he defined the creative class. 

My brother lives in Clayton. It seems that those little communities east of Raleigh are really starting to grow and develop. Housing is still pretty cheap but starting to move up quickly.

Also for all you members who live in Carolina, please email if you could I have a bunch of questions.My email is Hugebillsfan1@yahoo.com  Thanks Doug

506239[/snapback]

Here's a useful site - "City Profiles - Sperling's Best Places".

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/default.aspx

506239[/snapback]

Fort Mill SC alot of rednecks, transplants right down the road from Charlotte.

Thank you for all those responses. First,

in response to why not WNY?? - The answer is drive down Walden Avenue. Drive down Bailey and drive down Genesee Street. It sickens me to see what has become of our home. The high taxes, high rate of poverty, run down, dated neighborhoods, my wife would be miserable. The morale is at it's lowest point and it's not exciting to live in Buffalo anymore. Once you live in a warm, modern city with growth, Buffalo is hard to accept. I wish the city could rebound, but i think it is done. I still love the place. Fly home often for games and read the News daily online. I moved back for one school year in 2000 and after being back 6 months, I wanted to cry, I couldn't wait to leave. Last week I was in town for the KC game and was helping a buddy move from Cheektowaga, I couldn't help but think that if forced to live in Cheektowaga, it would be like a death sentence. - true story ( my exact thoughts)

In regards to coast or no coast, the answer is no coast. Mostly for the hurricanes and second because of high home costs.

What am I in search for in a location? I want a nice 2 story brick home in a safe, well manicured neighborhood, surrounded by hard working decent couples and tons of little kids. Priced around 200k. For my son, I want decent schools without overcrowding and fear of violence. I am also looking for an area where real estate is still generating nice annual returns. I also hope to move to a neighborhood with nice families and a Bills bar in close proximity. All else is negotiatable.

Ever consider Arkansas?  It's pretty there, if you must stay in the South.  Plus it has seasons besides hot and hot-as-hell.  Of course there are the tornadoes.....

506282[/snapback]

But then the kids would have to deal with all the sister-fuc#ing...no?

BTW, when you get divorced in Arkansas are you still Brother and Sister?

Asheville N.C.  great town ,smokies and blueridge is your view....

506258[/snapback]

Damn fine place!

How is Waynesville doing these days? I used to love having a beer at the American Fruit Stand (I think).

I guess I'll back up what everyone is saying about Asheville. My brother lives there and loves it. I might never get him to move back unfortunately.

And for one that hasn't been mentioned yet how about Atlanta? I know several people that have moved to greener pastures in Atlanta and the surrounding area.

... i live outside Greenville ... work as a mail carrier in Simpsonville ... live in Spartanburg ...

506984[/snapback]

And at least, if you want big-time college sports, Clemson is nearby.

The Tigers are part of the most underrated rivalry in college football...Clemson and the University of South Carolina, or as I call it, Kitty Cats versus the Fighting Chickens. :lol:

And by the way, between the two, I root for Clemson. My favorite ACC team since they won the National Title in '81.

Mike

I live in NJ, but work for a company in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC. It is really nice there. Each of the three cities has a different character and all have their advantages and disadvantages. Property values have risen some, but there are still some magnificent deals to be had, especially if you do not mind being off the beaten path. The weather is mild and it is probably one of the more cosmopolitan places in the country - lots of people have moved there from everywhere - high percentage of college graduates as well.

"

in response to why not WNY?? - The answer is drive down Walden Avenue. Drive down Bailey and drive down Genesee Street. It sickens me to see what has become of our home. The high taxes, high rate of poverty, run down, dated neighborhoods, my wife would be miserable. The morale is at it's lowest point and it's not exciting to live in Buffalo anymore. Once you live in a warm, modern city with growth, Buffalo is hard to accept. I wish the city could rebound, but i think it is done. I still love the place. Fly home often for games and read the News daily online. I moved back for one school year in 2000 and after being back 6 months, I wanted to cry, I couldn't wait to leave. Last week I was in town for the KC game and was helping a buddy move from Cheektowaga, I couldn't help but think that if forced to live in Cheektowaga, it would be like a death sentence. - true story ( my exact thoughts)

Thank You. I knew the answer, but I wanted to see it documented from someone who has lived both in and out of the state. You provide a good snapshot of how this state has gone into an economic freefall.

NYS, in general, is a total mess that it will not get out of in my lifetime. We pay more intaxes than any other state. The tax burden on every man, woman and child is damn near $4600 a pop. We pay an average of almost 12 cents per kilawatt hour for electricity... 2nd highest in the country, right behind Hawaii. The national average is 8 cents/kw hour. Over the past 5 years, NYS weighs in at nearly a 12% economic growth rate. The rest of the country showed a 21% growth rate over the same period. And, NYS has the finest welfare benefits that a taxpayers dollar can buy. Workers Compensation insurance is the highest in the country in NYS, two and three times more than in other states. Insurance, in general, is higher than in most states. NYS is almost immediately eliminated when it comes to International companies wanting to move in because of the high cost of doing business. When a company looks at the taxation, cost of electricity, and WC insurance, it's a no brainer. Avoid NYS, period. Even companies that have been located in this state for a long period can't get in on any federal gov't. contracts, unless they've got something else that can't be gotten elsewhere, because they can't compete with companies outside of NYS due to the high cost of doing business in this state.

We have the world's laziest and most corrupt politicians... and I'm not being partisan. Jim Bruno, Sheldon Silver, UpChuck Schumer, Shillary Clinton, are just a few of the names that stand out... there are plenty more, believe me... on both sides of the aisle... Red or Blue, it just doesn't seem to matter... they're all scumbags.

I've lived my whole life in this state. But it sucks to live here anymore. I've got another 5 to 8 to go before I get the "F" out of here... and I can't wait. It will be sweet to be on your end... visiting NYS rather than living in this welfare sesspool.