LOST 2.07 Discussion Thread

The Tomcat

You know what would be great?  If the guys behind the show remembered that there's supposed to be a monster on the island.

505673[/snapback]

I think that falls into the "You can't hit on every story line every week" category. How about the fact that for two shows now there has been no mention of the button?

I watch each episode with a critical eye...almost out of fear that something will happen that will be a major oversight on the part of the writters. I cases like this, however, I will give them a pass.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now THAT is some interesting stuff right there.  WTF is going through the writers minds is they truly went through all this trouble tying things together.  Wow.

505840[/snapback]

Glad you enjoyed the site. I agree, the writing on this show is amazing, I cannot even begin to understand how you keep on this stuff in place.

Shannon & Boone died 8 days apart for what it is worth.

505858[/snapback]

Cool...thanks.

I would love to see side-by-side timelines of the events that have taken place involving each of the two survivor groups. That would be useful to check the order of events pertaining to the others.

I think that falls into the "You can't hit on every story line every week" category.  How about the fact that for two shows now there has been no mention of the button?

505779[/snapback]

Hurley mentioned the "Doomsday" button two weeks ago.

The monster has almost entirely been removed from the show since the first half of season one. I'm worried that the writers started something they really don't have an ending to.

Cool...thanks.

I would love to see side-by-side timelines of the events that have taken place involving each of the two survivor groups.  That would be useful to check the order of events pertaining to the others.

505870[/snapback]

Just read an interview with a couple of the writers, they said pay close attention to the stick. Anybody know what he was carving? I will look tonight when ia get home

Just read an interview with a couple of the writers, they said pay close attention to the stick. Anybody know what he was carving? I will look tonight when ia get home

505872[/snapback]

I was going to watch the episode again tonight as well. It looked at one point to be a bunch of hash marks (i.e. counting the days there, perhap). If the writers say pay close attention though, it must be more than that.

I don't think Ethan showed up on the main section beach until a couple of days after the crash, right? Could have been that the Otehrs had been scouting the tail section group and learning their names, etc. and then when Ethan went to the main beach, he used that name, that they had misheard from 'Nathan,' and said he was from Canada. Ana's interrogation of Goodwin was very weird. The Others are collecting the "good people"? As opposed to Bad People, who don't murder people?

505521[/snapback]

I'm not sure when Ethan "showed up" neither. I didn't get the impression that he was there right away, within 10 minutes, like Goodwin.

My theory is that the others spotted both sections of the wreckage as it trailed across the sky. The tail group had the misfortune of being within minutes of where the others are based. The foreward group might have been as far as a day or two hike away.

If so, Ethan would've been dispatched right away and probably wasn't around the tail group long enough to "mishear" Nathan's name.

I think that falls into the "You can't hit on every story line every week" category.  How about the fact that for two shows now there has been no mention of the button?

I watch each episode with a critical eye...almost out of fear that something will happen that will be a major oversight on the part of the writters.  I cases like this, however, I will give them a pass.

505779[/snapback]

I, personally, don't believe that even the writers know which way they're going with the plot. I enjoy it none the less.

BTW. I hope they never mention that stupid monster again. Thatr almost turned me off of the show.

BTW2. AL's character definately got a boost in this episode. I like her! I still would like to see Sawyer smack her back once or twice when he gets better.

I, personally, don't believe that even the writers know which way they're going with the plot. I enjoy it none the less.

506166[/snapback]

You can't write a show like this without knowing the finish line long before you get there. There is certainly room to run with storylines, but the overall plot / mythology is definitley written already.

506166[/snapback]

That seems to be a popular accusation among critics of the show. One which I don't agree with. There are too many details written into each episode for that to be the case. On the season one DVD extras they claim to have the first 5 seasons outlined. So I have a hard time believing that the writers would not know how to address something as fundamental to the show as the mysterious "Monster."

That seems to be a popular accusation among critics of the show.  One which I don't agree with.  There are too many details written into each episode for that to be the case.  On the season one DVD extras they claim to have the first 5 seasons outlined.  So I have a hard time believing that the writers would not know how to address something as fundamental to the show as the mysterious "Monster."

506278[/snapback]

Absolutley correct. It was a big source of discussion on here during season one as well.

The writers have room to make new story lines (Hurley for example was never supposed to be a major character -- but they just loved Garcia so much they kept giving him more and more lines) but there is a path the main plot(s) have to follow. And the path was created before Season 1 even began production.

That doesn't mean they don't adjust it every so often if one thing is working better than others, but everything I have ever heard about the show from producers to writers says there is an overall plan which they are following. Monster included.

That seems to be a popular accusation among critics of the show.  One which I don't agree with.  There are too many details written into each episode for that to be the case.  On the season one DVD extras they claim to have the first 5 seasons outlined.  So I have a hard time believing that the writers would not know how to address something as fundamental to the show as the mysterious "Monster."

506278[/snapback]

I saw an interview with one of the creators last year in which he stated that a detailed outline for the show has been written, and the time frame for it to be completed is three years.

A few things:

Most episodes they start with the camera on a character, and proceed to show flashbacks to earlier in that person's life. This episode they started with the camera on the island, and showed flashbacks of earlier on the island. Anyone remember if they ever started an episode in a flashback? (I don't think so.)

I thought the glass eye etc. were belongings that may have come from the "pirate" ship (with the dynamite).

The tail section group seemed to run through an almost identical list of issues the main group had to face, but in almost every case the tail section has the weaker version of what the main group had:

Crash / Bury people / Find food (fish)

Have the doctor operate (or clinical psychologist)

decide whether to leave the beach, burn a signal fire

find a survivor still attached to part of the plane in a tree

Hunt for food (chicken / boar) setting a trap to yank it into the air by its feet

Need Antibiotics

Have a survivor die (They didn't kill anyone who was suffering, did they?)

Introduce the weapon(s)

Imprison a survivor (hole/handcuffs)

Have a survivor decide to stop talking (Jin / Eko)

Torture a survivor for the good of the group

Use the radio? Not get lured into percieved danger by the voice on the radio

Ethan / Nathan ("other" invader)

Children / baby kidnapped

Enter a bunker and look through the stuff

Get to other side of the island (where they find other survivors)

Things I haven't seen from the tail group:

Weird powers / patterns (ala Walt, Hurley etc.)

They didn't build a raft, or plant a garden

They haven't encountered or remembered the numbers

They didn't find something they wanted on the island

No Monster

No golf course / backgammon or other games that I saw

I bet next week (or maybe the week after) are flashbacks for Ana or Eko