Power Rankings, this guy must be a real winner

NavyBillsFan

The guy is from football outsiders. Give them credit, they are the only ones that do more than sticking their professional finger in the air (and look at the W-L record) to determine power rankings. They actually use stats to "normalize" teams by correcting for the records (and relative stats) of the teams they've played, for example...

The sports world will hire any moron! I love reading this guys stuff. Total JACKASS!

Except for Carolina, it looks OK to me... what exactly don't you like or think should be corrected. It seems everyone has power rankings out there. They all seem to be different. And, in the end, what does it really mean?

So... to get you feeling a little better today, how about you throw us a bone and display the rankings according to how you see it. Whatever you end up with, I'm cool with.

Except for Carolina, it looks OK to me... what exactly don't you like or think should be corrected. It seems everyone has power rankings out there.  They all seem to be different.  And, in the end, what does it really mean?

So... to get you feeling a little better today, how about you throw us a bone and display the rankings according to how you see it.  Whatever you end up with, I'm cool with.

504682[/snapback]

You really need to get over yourself. TBD is not a bad site, if you hate everyone here so much... Oh nevermind, this is pointless. Waiting for your witty comeback.

Ok, if you really have to know. Any list that has a 3-6 team ranked 14th and a 6-3 team ranked 20th is crap. Regardless of whatever spin or statistic he may put on it.

get a load of this

The sports world will hire any moron!  I love reading this guys stuff.  Total JACKASS!

This is the same guy who said that Bret Hull had total control of the puck and "passed" it off Dom to himself.

504636[/snapback]

The guy is a joke...i dont care what statistical analysis he uses, his rankings are a complete farce and have been all season long. The 2-7 packers are ranked 18th? AHEAD of 2 6-3 teams? And the Bills win, but somehow DROP in the rankings?

Remember, this is the same guy who had 5-1 Denver rated about 17th or so, just because their loss came to miami.

This azzwipe = RJ

No surprise that people here would not bother to read the article where the guy EXPLAINS that his ranking is a statistical analysis and not simply his opinion jotted down off the top of his head. It is one interpretation based on one way of looking at the data. I'd prefer having that perspective rather than yet anther blow hard just pick the teams based on his personal 'expertise'. We have e-dog for that. :rolleyes:

And he even goes so far as to explain that his model is broken somewhere since it ranked the Colts sixth.....but that was the one manual change he made to it himself.

No surprise that people here would not bother to read the article where the guy EXPLAINS that his ranking is a statistical analysis and not simply his opinion jotted down off the top of his head.  It is one interpretation based on one way of looking at the data.  I'd prefer having that perspective rather than yet anther blow hard just pick the teams based on his personal 'expertise'.  We have e-dog for that.  :rolleyes:

And he even goes so far as to explain that his model is broken somewhere since it ranked the Colts sixth.....but that was the one manual change he made to it himself.

504744[/snapback]

His model is good in theory, and then goes all to sh-- when you actually try to apply it. It flies in the face of all common sense. It's kind of like the BCS in that way.

You really need to get over yourself. TBD is not a bad site, if you hate everyone here so much... Oh nevermind, this is pointless. Waiting for your witty comeback.

Dude... you having a bad day or what? Who said TBD was a bad site? Jesus loves you bro., your momma loves you too, I think . I'm only saying that the rankings are pointless and it aint worth getting your shorts in a knot. It aint like it's college and there's a BCS.

If you don't like me, just ignore me. I get these responses to posts all of the time about what a bastard I am. I'm not really that bad a guy, and now you make feel so inadequate. Why would you want to kick a poor guy when he's down? Is there no end to how low some folks will stoop to break the will and self esteem of a fellow human being?

His model is good in theory, and then goes all to sh-- when you actually try to apply it. It flies in the face of all common sense. It's kind of like the BCS in that way.

504746[/snapback]

Aren't all models just that unless they are super-models :)

The idea that this model is somehow better because it is strictly a mathematical formula is nuts...NUTS, I tells ya. As a research professional I am of the firm belief that using the research alone (particularly using a formula alone) to make decisions (or, in this case, rank teams) is as foolish as it gets. The numbers are ONE piece of information in the equation. Human judgement is a necessary componant here.

Is there bias in human judgement? Of course! But don't think there aren't biases in the formula. The formula was created by people...and the weights given to particular stats reflect their biases.

Is this formula-driven ranking better than the biased (finger in the air) human approach? Clearly not, by my judgement...but, that's my judgement. I'd also say it differs from most analysts rankings. The analysts have different biases and expectations but tend to be closer to each other than to this formula model.

Remember: Torture numbers long enough, and they'll confess to anything!

.... Why would you want to kick a poor guy when he's down?  Is there no end to how low some folks will stoop to break the will and self esteem of a fellow human being?

504766[/snapback]

That is awesome....

Read the comments for each ranking, they are good....

For example here is an excerpt (sp) ....

....Earlier in the season, when Denver was way down in the rankings despite just one loss, I counseled angry Denver fans to have patience. If the Broncos really were as good as people thought, eventually their first-week loss to Miami and second-week narrow victory over San Diego would become less important in our formula. Denver got even stronger, clobbering Philadelphia and Oakland to show that the first week was, in fact, a fluke, and now look where we are: Thanks to the wacko Indianapolis schedule effect, Denver sits at numero uno. NEXT: vs. NYJ

Here's another beauty....

Excerprt from http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5087100

Shaun Alexander runs for 165 yards and THREE TOUCHDOWNS and doesn't make your list of the top five most valuable running backs for Sunday? You are a complete jackass. Signed, Rod.

Dear Rod: Remember that the ratings in the Quick Reads column every Monday, like the power rankings, include an adjustment for the strength of the opponent. The Rams have a bad defense, so Alexander ended up seventh. Signed, Johnny Knoxville. NEXT: at SF

This guy really does have some good poiints. Like Indy's strength of schedule up until now.... Look at the rest of their schedule...

11 Sun. Nov 20 @ Bengals 4:15 p.m. ET

12 Mon. Nov 28 Steelers 9:00 p.m. ET

13 Sun. Dec 4 Titans 1:00 p.m. ET

14 Sun. Dec 11 @ Jaguars 1:00 p.m. ET

15 Sun. Dec 18 Chargers 1:00 p.m. ET

16 Sat. Dec 24 @ Seahawks 4:15 p.m. ET

17 Sun. Jan 1 Cardinals 1:00 p.m. ET

He comment about FALCONS....

Fantasy football warning: Atlanta faces the league's hardest schedule of opposing defenses over the last seven weeks. Cleveland is second, Green Bay third. NEXT: vs. TB. Believe it or not, this is the first time all year where Atlanta faces a team that comes into the game with a winning record.

Here are the FALCONS next games.....

11 Sun. Nov 20 Buccaneers 1:00 p.m. ET NFL on FOX

12 Thur. Nov 24 @ Lions 12:30 p.m. ET NFL on FOX

13 Sun. Dec 4 @ Panthers 1:00 p.m. ET NFL on FOX

14 Mon. Dec 12 Saints 9:00 p.m. ET

15 Sun. Dec 18 @ Bears 8:30 p.m. ET

16 Sat. Dec 24 @ Buccaneers 1:00 p.m. ET NFL on FOX

17 Sun. Jan 1 Panthers 1:00 p.m. ET NFL on FOX

Here are the top 10 defenses....

NFL SORTABLE STATS, TEAM defense -- Yards

Rk Team YDS YPG RUSH YDS RUSH YPG PASS YDS PASS YPG PTS PTS/GM

1 Bears

2 Buccaneers

3 Ravens

4 Colts

5 Jaguars

6 Cowboys

7 Redskins

8 Panthers

9 Steelers

10 Packers

They have to face Bucs(#2 defense) and Panthers(#8 defense) twice and Bears(#1 defense). Saints rank 12th and Lions 14th....

This stuff may be pretty accurate in the end... it just seems far fetched now.

In fact based on this formula, if we win out, we would be way up there....

Look at BILLS remaining schedule strength....

11 Sun. Nov 20 @ Chargers 4:15 p.m. ET

12 Sun. Nov 27 Panthers 1:00 p.m. ET NFL on FOX

13 Sun. Dec 4 @ Dolphins 1:00 p.m. ET

14 Sun. Dec 11 Patriots 1:00 p.m. ET

15 Sat. Dec 17 Broncos 8:30 p.m. ET

16 Sat. Dec 24 @ Bengals 1:00 p.m. ET

17 Sun. Jan 1 @ Jets 1:00 p.m. ET

JP will be tested big time the final half of the year, and it should give us a good feel for next year.

What a name though....

Aaron Schatz ...

Aaron (girls name)

Schatz (after eating Taco Bell, "I got the schatz....")

out....