WNYers--have you heard

Tcali

about GWs 'panel' wanting to eliminate the property tax deduction on homes?--ohhhhhh WNY...4% prop tax in lottsa places---uhmmmm 200k home...8000/yr...mmmmmmm 28% tax bracket....mmmmmmm...$2100 tax increase.......more joy for the Buffalo econmy.

about GWs 'panel' wanting  to eliminate the property tax deduction on homes?--ohhhhhh WNY...4% prop tax in lottsa places---uhmmmm 200k home...8000/yr...mmmmmmm 28% tax bracket....mmmmmmm...$2100 tax increase.......more joy for the Buffalo econmy.

500978[/snapback]

I believe that's only on homes higher than 500,000 or so? Won't effect the core WNY constituency I'd argue.

Fair Tax! Fair Tax!

-Jeff

I believe that's only on homes higher than 500,000 or so?  Won't effect the core WNY constituency I'd argue.

Fair Tax! Fair Tax!

-Jeff

500980[/snapback]

no---that is re: the mortgage interest deduction----another topic--but which seems to be losing momentum.....prop tax deuction is different I BELIEVE--but Im not sure--correct me if Im wrong...the mortg int one was supposed to have been adjusted for lower and higher housing cost areas--but probbly moot--cuz it wont get support...the prop tax thing is just as bad or worse.people are gonna have to yell and scream at GW the anti-republican and his anti-republican 'committee'.

about GWs 'panel' wanting  to eliminate the property tax deduction on homes?--ohhhhhh WNY...4% prop tax in lottsa places---uhmmmm 200k home...8000/yr...mmmmmmm 28% tax bracket....mmmmmmm...$2100 tax increase.......more joy for the Buffalo econmy.

500978[/snapback]

How about instead of bitching about losing $2100 to the fed you B word about giving $8000 to the crooks in your backyard? One number looks quite a bit higher.

Call me crazy.

How about instead of bitching about losing $2100 to the fed you B word about giving $8000 to the crooks in your backyard?  One number looks quite a bit higher.

Call me crazy.

501035[/snapback]

I've ALREADY done that. One doesnt exclude the other. I'm trying to live in the real world.

How about instead of bitching about losing $2100 to the fed you B word about giving $8000 to the crooks in your backyard?  One number looks quite a bit higher.

Call me crazy.

501035[/snapback]

No kidding - Holy crap, $8000 on a $200,000 home?! I'll stop complaining about paying my $3,500 now... And I know mine's a LOT higher than Minnesota (live right across the border in Hudson, WI).

That's insane...

CW

No kidding - Holy crap, $8000 on a $200,000 home?!  I'll stop complaining about paying my $3,500 now...  And I know mine's a LOT higher than Minnesota (live right across the border in Hudson, WI).

That's insane...

CW

501730[/snapback]

NYS has been trying to tax its way to prosperity for pretty much my entire life. The voters B word and moan alot but they keep voting for the same people every election.

One house we were looking at was about $300K. It was really nice - until we found out the taxes on it were nearly $12K annually. In Alaska, property is the only tax we pay. I paid about $3500 on a similiarly valued home.

Call me crazy.

501035[/snapback]

You are So crazy! The crooks in my backyard can be trusted to use every penny of my taxes more wisely than I could.

BTW: Today is opposite day. <_<

NYS has been trying to tax its way to prosperity for pretty much my entire life.  The voters B word and moan alot but they keep voting for the same people every election.

One house we were looking at was about $300K.  It was really nice - until we found out the taxes on it were nearly $12K annually.  In Alaska, property is the only tax we pay.  I paid about $3500 on a similiarly valued home.

501731[/snapback]

ALASKA:--New York state is gonna have to at some point face their problems. The ONLY way out for them is to drastically cut pensions already promised and being given to teachers, different govt. workers etc etc etc.--The people have pretty much said NO MORE to prop tax INCREASES--

UNless they get some huge employers in WNY soon---drastic pension cuts,enormous cuts in services and other fun things are in store for the area. Too bad--I love Buffalo.

ALASKA:--New York state is gonna have to at some point face their problems. The ONLY way out for them is to drastically cut pensions already promised and being given to teachers, different govt. workers etc etc etc.--The people have pretty much said NO MORE to prop tax INCREASES--

UNless they get some huge employers in WNY soon---drastic pension cuts,enormous cuts in services and other fun things are in store for the area. Too bad--I love Buffalo.

501752[/snapback]

It's going to be next to impossible to lure any major players to the area without major concessions in the way the state/local governments and the unions do business. It's just not in the cards.

NY has been bleeding out for years for the same reasons. I don't see it changing because that would take an awful lot of people giving up their golden geese.

It's going to be next to impossible to lure any major players to the area without major concessions in the way the state/local governments and the unions do business.  It's just not in the cards.

NY has been bleeding out for years for the same reasons.  I don't see it changing because that would take an awful lot of people giving up their golden geese.

501759[/snapback]

I AGREE....it is going to take HUGE concessions--which in fact is pong range thinking.Buffalo politicians are the most myopic anywhere outside of some of the 'STAN' countries.

No kidding - Holy crap, $8000 on a $200,000 home?!  I'll stop complaining about paying my $3,500 now...  And I know mine's a LOT higher than Minnesota (live right across the border in Hudson, WI).

That's insane...

CW

501730[/snapback]

Yeah, it's freaking criminal. Checkout www.buffalohomefinder.com and search for houses in that range, it reports what the estimated tax liability is per year.

For example, "This one story home built in 1976 has 4 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, 1 half bathroom, and is approximately 2708 sq. feet. The taxes for this property are $8,290.

MLS#242566 More Info." Thee sales price on this place is $234,900.

My wife and I look at houses up there quite a bit as she knows how much I'd like to move back, but even I can't justify that and I'd *love* to get back up there eventually. I'd have to pay one hell of a premium in order to live in an economically repressed area of the country. How's that work? The upstate NY population in still pissing away.

Ditch the pensions for anyone not already dependent on them. Lay off 65% of the county workers. Kill the redundant layers of government (and taxation), Bring the "benefits" in line with the non-unionized private sector.

Offer some *real* incentives to some non-manufacturing companies in order to introduce the "new" economy to the area. A pair of DS3 lines and an old warehouse and a company could run a technical support call center on the cheap. I've looked a Buffalo area salaries for that type of work and it's pathetic compared to the national average. The labor cost is low. As the baby boomer types fizzle out of the work force (I mean no disrespect, but I believe that's the last of the "pension generation") it's bound to change sooner or later.

I've resigned myself to looking at WNY as my "when I get rich" plan. Hah. There just isn't enough up there to justify taking a leap into the unknown. Sure, I could find ONE job to move for... but well, most of you understand and are in the same boat! =)

-Jeff

Yeah, it's freaking criminal. Checkout www.buffalohomefinder.com and search for houses in that range, it reports what the estimated tax liability is per year.

For example, "This one story home built in 1976 has 4 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, 1 half bathroom, and is approximately 2708 sq. feet. The taxes for this property are $8,290.

502217[/snapback]

That's nuts...in this area, that home would go for a minimum of $600k (in fact, the wife and I almost bought one much like that for $550k a few months ago, much farther out). Property taxes would be about $5k. In my current immediate area in Arlington...it would go for just about a million, and property taxes would probably still be less than $10k.

Of course, property taxes in WNY are bound to go down, as assessments drop as everyone moves out. I know my dad's place in Clarence has lost about $25k in assessed value the past five or so years...although I don't think it's reflected in his property taxes, of course... <_<

My wife and I look at houses up there quite a bit as she knows how much I'd like to move back, but even I can't justify that and I'd *love* to get back up there eventually.  I'd have to pay one hell of a premium in order to live in an economically repressed area of the country. How's that work?  The upstate NY population in still pissing away.

Ditch the pensions for anyone not already dependent on them. Lay off 65% of the county workers. Kill the redundant layers of government (and taxation), Bring the "benefits" in line with the non-unionized private sector. 

Offer some *real* incentives to some non-manufacturing companies in order to introduce the "new" economy to the area.  A pair of DS3 lines and an old warehouse and a company could run a technical support call center on the cheap.  I've looked a Buffalo area salaries for that type of work and it's pathetic compared to the national average. The labor cost is low.  As the baby boomer types fizzle out of the work force (I mean no disrespect, but I believe that's the last of the "pension generation") it's bound to change sooner or later.

I've resigned myself to looking at WNY as my "when I get rich" plan.  Hah.  There just isn't enough up there to justify taking a leap into the unknown. Sure, I could find ONE job to move for... but well, most of you understand and are in the same boat! =)

-Jeff

502217[/snapback]

Of course Jeff----the first politician who actually has the guts to propose the necessary changes on the expense side will likely be crucified.

Call me crazy.

501035[/snapback]

I've  ALREADY done that. One doesnt exclude the other. I'm trying to live in the real world.

501356[/snapback]

If we all lived in a welfare state which gave money to all of the crazy residents, life would be soooo much better. :)