[OT]Need help...buying a new camcorder

LabattBlue

I know there was a previous wealth of information on this, but all the old posts are gone. My Canon 8mm has served me well for the last 9 years(never had it in for a single repair), but it's time for something new. I'm looking for something for typical home use with the ability to transfer to computer and burn to CD. From the little I've read, it looks like MiniDV is the way to go. I don't want to spend much more than $500. Hopefully there is something in that price range that is a good solid camera.

Thanks!!

I'm looking at getting one myself. MiniDV $300-$500. Optical zoom and picture quality are my most important features. Any recommendations for us?

36669[/snapback]

Panasonic has a 3-ccd MiniDV for around $550.00 if you shop around, you might even find a slightly better price. Model: PV-GS120. Been using it for approx a month now and so far, very good. I did try a cheaper single CCD unit from JVC that simply didn't take very good video. Much happier with the Panny. Remember, you get what you pay for, in most cases.

MiniDV is the way to go.

However, you won't be able to put the video on a CD unless you REALLY compress the heck out of it. 20 minutes of footage takes roughly 4G of disk space (in it's native DV format). A CD has, at most, 700M... Even a DVD (like hte games I do) has 4G of storage for ~90-120 minutes.. So you'll probably want to look into a DVD burner (check http://www.newegg.com).

You also might want to look into buying a new harddrive. CompUSA has a good deal today:

http://www.slickdeals.net/#p5208

CW

*last bump * :doh:

I know that you people are out there.  Just stop thinking about the Bills for 5 minutes.  Don't leave me at the mercy of a sales rep to recommend a good camcorder.....PLEASE!!!!! :doh:

38874[/snapback]

But just think...if you are left at the mercy of a sales rep, you actually have a legitimate reason to blame Bledsoe for it... :doh: