it HAS to be someone else's fault

TheMadCap

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/04/suicide.internet/index.html

The parents of a teen who used info gathered on a website to commit suicide, wants the people who posted held responsible...

"Suzanne's father, Mike Gonzales, claims the newsgroup gave her everything she needed to kill herself.

"The knowledge, the tools, their psychological encouragement. ... She was led to her death," Mike Gonzales said.

Newsgroups like ASH work something like an online bulletin board. Anyone with a computer and some basic Internet knowledge can gain free access to thousands of messages about suicide. And they can post their own messages.

An archived section of the site called "The Methods File" contains a list of recipes, recommendations and tips on the best and worst ways to commit suicide.

"That's not pro-choice," Mike Gonzales said of the site. "That's brainwashing. And they are not being held responsible."

Blame shifting in full effect. Sad...

The parents of a teen who used info gathered on a website to commit suicide, wants the people who posted held responsible...

"Suzanne's father, Mike Gonzales, claims the newsgroup gave her everything she needed to kill herself.

"The knowledge, the tools, their psychological encouragement. ... She was led to her death," Mike Gonzales said.

Newsgroups like ASH work something like an online bulletin board. Anyone with a computer and some basic Internet knowledge can gain free access to thousands of messages about suicide. And they can post their own messages.

An archived section of the site called "The Methods File" contains a list of recipes, recommendations and tips on the best and worst ways to commit suicide.

"That's not pro-choice," Mike Gonzales said of the site. "That's brainwashing. And they are not being held responsible."

500144[/snapback]

There is a very high correllation between suicide and mental illness - well over 90%, last I checked. On the other hand, there is a very low correllation between suicide and reading about suicide. :wacko:

But at the same time...it is very, very difficult for people to accept, when a loved one commits suicide, that the cause, with alarming frequency, is an underlying psychopathy. It's entirely natural, what the parents are doing, looking for an outside and distinctly separate source of responsibility for events. It's misplaced, but a natural reaction nonetheless, and they have my sympathies.

500144[/snapback]

There is a very high correllation between suicide and mental illness - well over 90%, last I checked.  On the other hand, there is a very low correllation between suicide and reading about suicide.  ;)

But at the same time...it is very, very difficult for people to accept, when a loved one commits suicide, that the cause, with alarming frequency, is an underlying psychopathy.  It's entirely natural, what the parents are doing, looking for an outside and distinctly separate source of responsibility for events.  It's misplaced, but a natural reaction nonetheless, and they have my sympathies.

500192[/snapback]

Guys, i'd just like you to know that its not your fault. I love each and every one of you, but for me this is the right decisyisdad9f7007897904r09[wer4h;ioyper

There is a very high correllation between suicide and mental illness - well over 90%, last I checked.  On the other hand, there is a very low correllation between suicide and reading about suicide.  :lol:

Especially from someone on a message board with more than ONE post on the topic. ;)

But at the same time...it is very, very difficult for people to accept, when a loved one commits suicide, that the cause, with alarming frequency, is an underlying psychopathy.  It's entirely natural, what the parents are doing, looking for an outside and distinctly separate source of responsibility for events.  It's misplaced, but a natural reaction nonetheless, and they have my sympathies.

They had my sympathies...until they started blaming others.

500144[/snapback]

Where should the blame go?

Especially from someone on a message board with more than ONE post on the topic. ;)

They had my sympathies...until they started blaming others.

500254[/snapback]

I have my doubts that she was not heading down the road to suicide anyway, but I fail to see why we should remove all sympathy for parents whose daughter just died in this way.

It perhaps is fashionable to blame parents for the suicide when the woman is 19 and living out at college, but I am not sure if it is really fair to assume that it was so obvious in hindsight and that they could have done more than they actually did.

There's some selective quoting here of the article, but I see everyone's main point that it's unfair to put all the blame on the newsgroup. Nevertheless, I am troubled that people seem to think it is so deserving of such strong support. From reading the article, it appears that there was a user who if not encouraging this young woman, certainly did nothing to stop her, and probably helped her obtain the potassium cyanide. When a troubled person contacts someone and asks for help and advice on committing suicide and he helps her along to that goal, and when her affliction is simply temporary depression, I fail to see why this person can simply morally wash his hands of what happened regardless of the fact that there are little criminal sanctions out there to punish him.

What I find interesting about this story is that there are people on this suicide newsgroup who seem to think that suicide is such a great option for others, and encourage them to reach their dreams, but yet seem to be rather hesitant when it comes to their own demise.

He'll get to the stand and ask the judge to push in his stool!  :lol:  0:)  :w00t:  :lol:  :huh:  :doh:

500664[/snapback]

Ba-boom.

Parent still have my sympathy. Of course the real blame probably goes on them (or another influence in her life, it's not that web site), but think about what they're going through. Part of the natural grieving process I'd argue.

The only real danger in situations like this is some sympathizing lawmaker submitting a knee-jerk bill of some sort. They can blame whoever the hell they want, doesn't play into my life one bit.

-Jeff