Run play Question...Pullig Linemen

Shamrock

In the 90's the Bills used a play run off Tackle behind the pulling Tackle and Guard from the opposite side. I remember seeng this a lot, even with Marv commenting on this. Not seeing a lot of games from Buffalo here Down Under, can anyone recall this type of pulling play being run recently out of interest?

I haven't seen them run anything this year that has two guys pulling at once. The pulling play that I have noticed moreso this year has been a counter play to the right with Anderson pulling to the lead position on the right, in between MW and CV.

I believe the play mentioned is the counter trey, and, essentially you are right about the basics. The pulling guard and tackle will pull from the left side to block a run to the right or the same is true if the right side pulls and leads the back around left end. The technique was used heavily by Joe Gibbs in the 80's and a few teams followed suit (like the Bills). The design of this type of pull requires a very high level of athleticism to "get it done properly". :wacko:

Wasn't it Billy Shaw and Stew Barber doing that for Cookie Gilchrist????

OR

Reggie McKennzie and Dave Foley for OJ.

Billy Shaw revolutionized the guard position by pulling . He is still recognized as one of the best along with Reggie McKennzie.

I wish we had either of those guys right now.

I believe the play mentioned is the counter trey, and, essentially you are right about the basics. The pulling guard and tackle will pull from the left side to block a run to the right or the same is true if the right side pulls and leads the back around left end. The technique was used heavily by Joe Gibbs in the 80's and a few teams followed suit (like the Bills). The design of this type of pull requires a very high level of athleticism to "get it done properly". :wacko:

499975[/snapback]

Your correct about it being the Counter Trey, and not only did Joe Gibbs use it heavily in the 80's, he invented it. The RB takes a jab step to the side the lineman are pulling from and when the T and G clear he follows them to the opposite side of the field. It was a powerful play back then, but has been gradually phased out of today’s game as offensive lineman have grown, and defensive philosophies have changed.

Gibbs still uses it a little in Washington, and a couple other coaches still dabble in it from time to time, but it will never be the monster it was for the 80's Redskins. Much like the Packers power sweep of the 60's, the evolution of football has taken away the ability of an offense to build there foundation on one play.