Gimme your top 5 Defensive Lines...

SDS

Tampa

Chicago

Denver

Jacksonville

New Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!)

Carolina tops the list with a healthy Jenkins but now just gets an honorable mention along with Atlanta, Indy, Oakland and the Jest.

Using a similar scheme from a post in the O-line thread, and looking at Rushing Def total yards/game, Rush Def avg yards/attempt, Sacks, Rushing 1st downs allowed, and giving each team that comes in in the top ten a point, it shakes out as follows:

Pitt (score of 4; record 6-2)

Chicago (score of 4; record 5-3)

SD (score of 4; record 5-4)

Seattle (score of 3; record 6-2)

Ten teams with a score of 2, with Indy (record 7-0) having third most sacks in the NFL.

There are, of course, other indirect intangibles such as the ability to pressure the QB that could probably be looked at using completion pct, but many of those would be skewed based on the quality of the secondary, defending with the lead, etc. If pressed, based on stats alone, I would say those four teams plus Indy (based on sacks) appear to be the five best.

I didn't look up any stats but I considered it a better idea to look at who has the most up and coming line, the lines built for sustained success. The lines that are built around a system where the system is built to fit the players. Not a "system" that tries to fit players into its system; fitting square pegs into round holes.

In the Dallas case, they rebuilt their line with players that fit the 3-4 that Parcells want to run.

Lovie Smith did the same thing with Chicago. He rebuilt thru the draft, but he selected players with those paticular talents AND the intangibles to make it work.

NE just makes great adjustments to the system that fits the players that are being used in a situation. AND with the injuries that NE experiences, almost year in and year out, they bring in players off the street and make adjustments. Right now, NE has the second worst D, but IMHO they will recover, if not this year, definitely next.

Atlanta, it looks like they have made necessary adjustments to meet the players, plus they drafted to fit those NEEDS too. Atlanta seems to draft based on NEED rather than on best available.

To me drafting "best available" restricts the players. The PLAYERS never turn into the players they can be if using When using their best attributes.

Dallas

Atlanta

Carolina

Chicago

NE (when healthy)