4 4 1 96 Kenyatta Jones T South Florida

5 4 24 119 Jabari Holloway TE Notre Dame

6 5 32 163 Hakim Akbar DB Washington

7 6 17 180 Arther Love TE South Carolina State

8 6 37 200 Leonard Myers DB Miami (FL)

9 7 16 216 Owen Pochman K Brigham Young

10 7 39 239 T.J. Turner LB Michigan State

495332[/snapback]

thanks, darin. that's pretty impressive. one my closest friends is a pats fan though, and he thinks they really struck out this year, particularly with regard to the free agents they signed. the 2003 and especially the 2002 drafts are spectacular. in 2002, a year after they won the super bowl (which meant they drafted very late), they got 4 highly productive players with 6 picks - graham, branch, green, and givens.

Call me crazy, but I still think Josh Reed can, and will, be a servicable reciever somehere in this leauge.

495329[/snapback]

I concur, actually I think he'll be more than "servicable". He's servicable for us right now. But, I'm worried about his smarts...or lack thereof.

thanks, darin. that's pretty impressive.

So they got this:

Seymour

Light

Graham

Branch

Green

TWarren

ASamuel

Wilfork

Watson

And we got this:

Clements

Schobel

Jennings

Henry

Williams

McGahee

Kelsay

McGee

Evans

Anderson

Preston

I'd say those 5 year stretches are pretty comparable; yet we contnue to see people praising New Bruschi (We're not worthy!)'s prowess while lamenting Buffalo's poor drafting.

Whatever. <_<

If you hindsight perfectionists want to rag on some Bills' drafting, take a look at the absolute horror show of the Bills 5 drafts before Donahoe/Modrak came on board. It's no wonder this team was in such atrocius condition when the current administration walked into a situation that was worse than an expansion team.

Cya

So they got this:

Seymour

Light

Graham

Branch

Green

TWarren

ASamuel

Wilfork

Watson

And we got this:

Clements

Schobel

Jennings

Henry

Williams

McGahee

Kelsay

McGee

Evans

Anderson

Preston

I'd say those 5 year stretches are pretty comparable; yet we contnue to see people praising New Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!)'s prowess while lamenting Buffalo's poor drafting.

Whatever.  <_<

If you hindsight perfectionists want to rag on some Bills' drafting, take a look at the absolute horror show of the Bills 5 drafts before Donahoe/Modrak came on board. It's no wonder this team was in such atrocius condition when the current administration walked into a situation that was worse than an expansion team.

Cya

495393[/snapback]

I agree with you. The largest differences between the teams is the consistancy of DLine play and the QB (add Rodney Harrison when he's healthy).

NE is nowhere near the behemoth they're made out to be - they simply cover their holes better than everyone else.

So they got this:

Seymour

Light

Graham

Branch

Green

TWarren

ASamuel

Wilfork

Watson

And we got this:

Clements

Schobel

Jennings

Henry

Williams

McGahee

Kelsay

McGee

Evans

Anderson

Preston

I'd say those 5 year stretches are pretty comparable; yet we contnue to see people praising New Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!)'s prowess while lamenting Buffalo's poor drafting.

Whatever.  <_<

Cya

495393[/snapback]

BINGO! I'm no TD apologist, but he was dealt a real bad hand. His drafts have been pretty good, I think. BTW, this doesn't even address the UDFA's we've picked up.

So far this is my sublist of what you posted that is either a quality starter, or a good reserve- pretty high ercentage IMHO

1 21 Nate Clements CB Ohio State

2 46 Aaron Schobel DE Texas Christian

2 58 Travis Henry RB Tennessee

3 76 Ron Edwards DT Texas A&M

3 95 Jonas Jennings T Georgia

4 110 Brandon Spoon MLB North Carolina

6 195 Dan O'Leary TE Notre Dame

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School

1 4 Mike Williams T Texas

2 36 Josh Reed WR Louisiana State

2 61 Ryan Denney DE Brigham Young

3 97 Coy Wire SS Stanford

5 139 Justin Bannan DT Colorado

6 176 Kevin Thomas CB Nevada-Las Vegas

1 23 Willis McGahee RB Miami

2 48 Chris Kelsay DE Nebraska

3 94 Angelo Crowell OLB Virginia

4 111 Terrence McGee CB Northwestern State, La.

4 127 Sam Aiken WR North Carolina

6 187 Lauvale Sape DT Utah

7 228 Mario Haggan MLB Mississippi State

1 13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin

1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane

3 74 Tim Anderson DT Ohio State

4 109 Tim Euhus TE Oregon State

7 214 Jonathan Smith WR Georgia Tech

2 55 Roscoe ParrishWR Miami

3 86 Kevin Everitt TE Miami

4 122 Duke Preston C Illinois

5 156 Eric King CB Wake Forest

7 236 Lionel Gates RB Louisville

495195[/snapback]

My dissenting opinion:

A. For several guys on your list, you are being quite liberal with the use of the term "good reserves." Guys like Denney and Preston are good reserves. Guys like Euhus, Wire, Fast Freddie, Aiken, Bannan, Gates, etc... are either inactives or actual liabilities on the field.

B. Not sure why you listed Dan O'Leary. He never even made the 2002 Bills roster, and was completely out of the NFL after 2 seasons.

C. Keeping a lot of your draft picks can also be proof of "draft cronyism" more so than proof of good drafting, especially when the team's overall record has been piss-poor likes ours has been in the past 5 years.

D. Look at the day 2 picks in those 5 years, and you'll find only 1 current starter - Terrence McGee. This has got to be below the average for NFL franchises drafting since 2001.

E. Look at the day 1 picks, where you would expect some starters to be found, and you find 11 players who have started games this season. But looking more closely at their production, you'll see that while 2 are among the top players at their position (McGahee, Clements), 3 are ho-hum contributors (Schobel, Kelsay, Mike Williams), 2 are career backups who are only starting because of injuries (Tim Anderson - yes, I think he'll never be good - and Crowell), 1 is on IR now and won't be in the league next year (Ron Edwards), 2 are having major sophomore slumps (Losman, Evans), and 1 is a chronic injury problem taking up a lot of cap space on another team (Jennings on the 49ers). I can only count 6 day 1 TD draft picks who I think have a better than 50% chance of starting for the Bills by Opening Day 2006 (Clements, Schobel, MW, McGahee, Kelsay, and Evans; I personally have strong doubts that Losman or Everett will be starting by then). That, I'm guessing, would also be below the NFL team average for the day 1 drafting period of 2001-2005.

F. Tom Donahoe sucks. <_<

My dissenting opinion:

A. For several guys on your list, you are being quite liberal with the use of the term "good reserves." Guys like Denney and Preston are good reserves. Guys like Euhus, Wire, Fast Freddie, Aiken, Bannan, Gates, etc... are either inactives or actual liabilities on the field.

B. Not sure why you listed Dan O'Leary. He never even made the 2002 Bills roster, and was completely out of the NFL after 2 seasons.

C. Keeping a lot of your draft picks can also be proof of "draft cronyism" more so than proof of good drafting, especially when the team's overall record has been piss-poor likes ours has been in the past 5 years.

D. Look at the day 2 picks in those 5 years, and you'll find only 1 current starter - Terrence McGee. This has got to be below the average for NFL franchises drafting since 2001.

E. Look at the day 1 picks, where you would expect some starters to be found, and you find 11 players who have started games this season. But looking more closely at their production, you'll see that while 2 are among the top players at their position (McGahee, Clements), 3 are ho-hum contributors (Schobel, Kelsay, Mike Williams), 2 are career backups who are only starting because of injuries (Tim Anderson - yes, I think he'll never be good - and Crowell), 1 is on IR now and won't be in the league next year (Ron Edwards), 2 are having major sophomore slumps (Losman, Evans), and 1 is a chronic injury problem taking up a lot of cap space on another team (Jennings on the 49ers). I can only count 6 day 1 TD draft picks who I think have a better than 50% chance of starting for the Bills by Opening Day 2006 (Clements, Schobel, MW, McGahee, Kelsay, and Evans; I personally have strong doubts that Losman or Everett will be starting by then). That, I'm guessing, would also be below the NFL team average for the day 1 drafting period of 2001-2005.

F. Tom Donahoe sucks.  <_<

495457[/snapback]

Just wondering, how can you judge Euhus yet?

Same way I judged Gates - not considered a "good reserve" yet since he hasn't done much, if anything, on the field.

495510[/snapback]

Mebbe my mistake. I thought you called him an "Actual liablilty"...I see now you lumped those in with "inactive"

After all, Donahoe went for an undersized, slow, WR in the second round instead of Antwaan Randle-El.....

JDG

495270[/snapback]

Randle-El was a running QB at Indiana. Like Matt Jones of Arkansas this past year, he was a huge roll of the dice... never having played the WR position but possessing great athletic ability and 40 times.

We took the safe route and drafted a great college player who couldn't tranfer that ability to the pro's.

But i imagine that in 2002, you were saying freeny is going to be a sack monster, undersized be damned, and that the bills should have drafted him at #4.

Oh you werent? thats what i thought.

495255[/snapback]

Of course he was. Don't you remember the great "Draft Freeney" debates of 2002 that nearly split this board apart?......Yeah me neither.

I've given TD the benefit of the doubt, but I stand by my pre-draft choices.

2001: I can't argue with TD's choices, and I was happy on draft day.

2002: High top 5 pick- you don't take a RT at #4.

My picks (pre-draft): B. McKinney

L. Tripplett

I was not impressed with Denney in college, my pick was Seth McKinney

2003: The McGahee pick was a homerun....a high risk/high reward pick

My picks: E. Steinbach

C. Kelsey

2004: I can't believe Jax was so wed to pick Reggie Williams that the price to move up for Big Ben was prohibitive. I would have given a 1,2,&3 to move up.

If not, Will Smith although it turns out Lee Evans was a need pick

Julius Jones or Jake Grove

Matt Schaub (3rd round or move up to end of 2nd)

It was fun to look back at past draft guides for my pre-draft wish lists. For 2006...... play JP and draft D'Brick.