Bruschi Shumski

Frez

Bruschi Activated: As expected the Patriots have activated Tedy Bruschi. That makes him eligible to play tomorrow. He missed the first six games after having a stroke in the off season. He will give the Pats a huge emotional lift tomorrow night.

How about a helmet on helmet to schumski and knock his ass out for the game!

Get er done Willis! <_<

Bruschi Activated: As expected the Patriots have activated Tedy Bruschi. That makes him eligible to play tomorrow. He missed the first six games after having a stroke in the off season. He will give the Pats a huge emotional lift tomorrow night.

Get er done Willis!  <_<

489472[/snapback]

Would be a nice way to start the game

Get er done Willis!  <_<

489472[/snapback]

the ball washing has already begun on ESPN with their sunday night previews...hes already being called courageous, and the story of the year...

That would definitely work too, since his stroke was caused by brain trauma and not a hole in his heart.

489477[/snapback]

If you (*^*&amp;%^&#036;^#patsy troll knew anything about a stroke, you'd see...

stroke

<neurology> A condition due to the lack of oxygen to the brain which may lead to reversible or irreversible paralysis.

since a stoke affects the brain, a head to head collision may do something, dumbass.

Bruschi has to be thinking about his health.

A friend of mine had a minor stroke last June, she was lucky and is still skiddish about overtaxing herself.

Bruschi may talk a good game but his presence may be a plus for the Bills because he very well may be flashing back.

Has anyone ever come back from suffering a stroke and continued to play a game as violent as professional football? I know the hole in his heart has been fixed so he won't suffer any more strokes (at least that way), but he DID have a stroke and there is the possibility of further damage, isn't there? Or more precisely, do we know there's NOT? Dumb move by Bruschi, especially after missing all of the off-season, training camp, pre-season, and the 1st 6 weeks of THIS season. Odds are he gets hurt from coming back too soon, either either body or his mind.

<<Has anyone ever come back from suffering a stroke and continued to play a game as violent as professional football? I know the hole in his heart has been fixed so he won't suffer any more strokes (at least that way), but he DID have a stroke and there is the possibility of further damage, isn't there? Or more precisely, do we know there's NOT? Dumb move by Bruschi, especially after missing all of the off-season, training camp, pre-season, and the 1st 6 weeks of THIS season. Odds are he gets hurt from coming back too soon, either either body or his mind.>>

Body or mind, it doen't matter He will be a liability to the team because they still think he can contribute so they'll count on him. He'll have a flashback at some point during the game, it happens to all stroke victims, even big tuff nfl players.

I think the Bills will win this one. The Pats undies are showing this year.

That would definitely work too, since his stroke was caused by brain trauma and not a hole in his heart.

489477[/snapback]

You are correct. A serious blow to the chest would be something to worry about. Well not really. They say that when the hole is repaired it's patched over three times to ensure stability.

<<Has anyone ever come back from suffering a stroke and continued to play a game as violent as professional football?

489531[/snapback]

I read this article in the USA today. Here's the info you were looking for. Not really except for the cowboy.

Other cases offer little comfort

Two high-profile examples of professional athletes attempting comebacks after strokes in the last quarter-century don't offer an encouraging prognosis for Bruschi.

In 1980, Houston Astros pitcher J.R. Richard was accused of being lazy when he complained of arm pain, and tests detected no problem. Then Richard's stroke hit, just weeks after the right-hander started the All-Star Game.

Richard was 30, had been a 20-game winner in 1976 and had recorded 300-strikeout seasons in 1978 and '79. A minor league comeback bid failed in 1983, and he was homeless in the '90s when a Houston Post reporter found him living under a bridge and told his story. Friends helped Richard get his life back together.

In hockey, Brian Mullen had a mild stroke at 31 in 1993 and tried a comeback with the New York Islanders in 1994, after surgery to correct a heart problem that caused the stroke. He was progressing but suffered a seizure at practice. Despite getting medical clearance to resume play, no team was willing to take a chance.

Last week, in an interview with Boston Globe reporter Ron Borges, Mullen said, "Some of the top doctors in the world told me I was fine. There would be no problem going back to play."

He added: "In hindsight I wish I'd pushed a little harder to play again, but I didn't. I knew in my heart I could make it back, but I didn't get a second chance. ... I wish I'd proven I could have done it."

Mullen told the Globe he has had two additional seizures, which he attributed to changes in his medication, but no subsequent strokes.

There is one pro athlete who suffered a stroke and then had the best year of his career, in a sport that sometimes involves taking hits from a 250-pound calf.

In April 2003, Stran Smith suffered a stroke that, like Bruschi's, was attributed to a blood clot passing through a hole in his heart. Last year Smith was the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association's world runner-up in tie-down roping, where he jumps off a horse that's running at 20 mph and ties up and brings down a calf.

Talking from his 40-acre ranch in Childress, Texas, in the northern part of the state, Smith says doctors initially told him he needed to find another occupation.

But Smith and his wife, Jennifer, kept consulting with doctors and decided the best course of action was surgery to have a plug-like device placed in the hole in his heart. Bruschi has confirmed having similar surgery in the spring.

Smith, who was left unable to utter a sound by the stroke but now speaks rapid-fire, offers what he calls a "Cowboy Logic" explanation of the surgery:

"It's like putting a patch on a tire. They put a patch on the device, and they put another patch on top of that. Now it's three-ply instead of one-ply. ... You're not going to have a blood clot pass through that hole in your heart and go to your brain ever again. Once that seals and it's together, there's no chance you're going to knock it loose."

As for Bruschi, Smith says, "I really believe he's in a lot better shape now than he's ever been in his life. People who are calling him selfish need to go get educated about it before they start pointing fingers."

Smith hasn't spoken with Bruschi but says his advice is, "Go all out, get that first hit out of the way and go on. Let everybody know it, that, 'I'm here. I'm back.' "

You want us to argue with you? Yeah right. I actually hope "Family Man" drops dead tonight.

That's a little harsh. I wouldn't be surprised to see him suffer an injury sometime in the next few games (especially if he plays ST's) that knocks him out for the rest of the season and puts a HUGE black eye on the Pats, further hastening their demise. I think the odds of him suffering some kind of injury are high given his lack of practice/playing time so far, and the fact that he HAD A STROKE NOT LESS THAN 9 MONTHS AGO.