Notre Dame extends Weis to 2015

JoeF

Just announced that Charlie Weis has signed on with the Irish to 2015 (a five year extension). Yesterday the brilliance that is Pro Football Talk wrote that their "sources" said that Weis was basically giving coach speak about his commitment to ND and that he may bolt after the season (with the Bills being listed as one of 5 teams that would be interested). PFT speculated that Weis' relatively small $1.5M buyout would be easy for an NFL team to meet. While the figures of the new deal are not yet public--I am certain the buyout is much more robust.

Weis

The Bills should have hired Weis when we had the chance..waiting three weeks is immaterial if he was the right man...that said, I am glad he is at ND for a while.

Just announced that Charlie Weis has signed on with the Irish to 2015 (a five year extension).  Yesterday the brilliance that is Pro Football Talk wrote that their "sources" said that Weis was basically giving coach speak about his commitment to ND and that he may bolt after the season (with the Bills being listed as one of 5 teams that would be interested).  PFT speculated that Weis' relatively small $1.5M buyout would be easy for an NFL team to meet.  While the figures of the new deal are not yet public--I am certain the buyout is much more robust.

Weis

The Bills should have hired Weis when we had the chance..waiting three weeks is immaterial if he was the right man...that said, I am glad he is at ND for a while.

489332[/snapback]

Yeah, another spectacularly stupid miscalculation by Donahoe. Don't go after the best candidate because there won't be any decent assistants availiable if we wait 3 weeks. Instead sign a mediocre assistant coach for HC. TD is so efn stupid I can't believe he's survived this long.

Yeah, another spectacularly stupid miscalculation by Donahoe.  Don't go after the best candidate because there won't be any decent assistants availiable if we wait 3 weeks.  Instead sign a mediocre assistant coach for HC.  TD is so efn stupid I can't believe he's survived this long.

489339[/snapback]

AJ---if you are being sarcastic about TD, that's cool. Any GM is going to have hits and misses..but the most important decision they make is hiring a head coach. I don't think Charlie Weis would have given the ball to a guy who hadn't carried it for 5 years on fourth and goal from the one....that's not being coy or smart, its idiotic.

Weis is a brilliant coach. Exactly how many Super Bowls did the Steelers win when Mularkey was OC? If we truly had a chance to get Weis as Mort and others have reported, we should have jumped at it.

Does that mean I am not cheering for Mularkey to do well--no way...I like the guy and God knows I want him to be a huge success..but Weis is a better football coach...

Yeah, another spectacularly stupid miscalculation by Donahoe.  Don't go after the best candidate because there won't be any decent assistants availiable if we wait 3 weeks.  Instead sign a mediocre assistant coach for HC.  TD is so efn stupid I can't believe he's survived this long.

489339[/snapback]

Add to that if you wait 3 weeks, and Weis doesn't want to coach your sh**ty team, then what?

PTR

Anyone who speculated on Weis leaving ND for the NFL is the biggest idiot walking upright on the planet. Weis has it made at ND. He is going to be a legend there. He almost already is after only 6 games. ND is going to be the next USC. Head Coach at ND is a better job than anywhere in the NFL for any amount of money- if you win. Weis may not have been ND's 1st choice but ND was his 1st choice.

489339[/snapback]

If this team crashes and burns like the schedule and their performance suggests, TD will not survive. His head is the next on the chopping block. Even if he didn't want to do it, RW will know that he'll have to fire TD to keep the season ticket holders happy.

Seriously, does this really lock him up?  College hoops coaches sign these things, and then break them continually.  They do no good in hoops - are they better in foottball?

489602[/snapback]

I know that nothing is for certain...but the quotes about wanting to retire there and wanting to be coach when his son graduates sound pretty genuine.

A lot of guys cite the pros being somehow easier than the college game because of recruiting, etc. But a couple of things...

1) Weis seems to enjoy recruiting...he loves making the close and he has a great staff (Bill Lewis, Rick Minter, Brian Polian (yep Bill Polian's son) etc.) to help.

2) Because of the limited amounts of time to work with players in the college game--a great coach is even more of a competitive advantage--a staff that can scheme at the elite level of division one (the top 30 teams) makes a huge difference.

3) This is his alma mater, a place he self admittedly loves and wants to return to past glory--winning a national championship might have the same cache as hoisting the Lombardi--I know its blasphemy to some on this board--but its Notre Dame...

One last thing--I sure am glad he will not be calling the plays for the Pats tonight...

Anyone who speculated on Weis leaving ND for the NFL is the biggest idiot walking upright on the planet. Weis has it made at ND. He is going to be a legend there.

489539[/snapback]

Exactly. All this talk of the Bills being able to hire Weis as a head coach is nonsense.

I think they were talking about the Bills hiring him instead of Mularkey.

What I'm interested in knowing is what the buy-out is. I heard last week that the buy-out was $1.5M and that was very doable for an NFL team that wanted him.