Charlie Weis ain't goin' nowhere...

I guess the ND people really believe in this guy.

Signed through 2015!

Should pretty much squash any rumors of an NFL return.

Personally, I wonder, why ink the guy to a ten-year contract when he's coached all of 7 games?

489328[/snapback]

They want to be able to assure recruits that Weis will be there for their whole career.

But I do seem to remember ND getting all worked up over Ty Willingham's great start and signing him to an extention half way through his first season. Oops.

They want to be able to assure recruits that Weis will be there for their whole career.

But I do seem to remember ND getting all worked up over Ty Willingham's great start and signing him to an extention half way through his first season.  Oops.

489333[/snapback]

That's precisely what I was thinking... These contracts are guaranteed, right? So when he inevitably fails to satisfy (getting rid of Willingham was a dumb move in my book), they're on the hook for it. Nice use of tuition money. Hope ND students like being taught by grad students and adjuncts...

Weis may yet turn out to be a dud...but he has taken a team with basically the same or less talent than last year's ND team and turned them around. The offensive schemes are brilliant--once they get some better front 7 play on D (and a good FS)--you are talking a national championship capable team. I think this one turns out to be a very good use of tuition money....plus donations they get when this is announced from now happy alums will more than make up for any buyout down the road if it ever comes to that.

That's precisely what I was thinking... These contracts are guaranteed, right?  So when he inevitably fails to satisfy (getting rid of Willingham was a dumb move in my book), they're on the hook for it.  Nice use of tuition money.  Hope ND students like being taught by grad students and adjuncts...

489337[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm a little surprised to see this kind of extension in the middle of year one, but maybe they were concerned that Weis might leave for the NFL.

As for Willingham, I think this season has validated that it was the right move to dump him. In the past two years they were blown off the field about 5-6 times and rarely looked like a confident and prepared team. This year they've played great with basically the same personnel.

Good move. I was very, very sure that Weis would never leave (his son comment and a few others guided my thinking here), but it's nice to get a guarantee. He will have his ups and downs no doubt...I mean by now 3/4 of the Irish fanbase are probably already expecting a National Championship next year.....but it is very obvious what he has brought to this team.

As for spending tuition money, if Notre Dame football is doing well, every dollar spent was worth it. The football team brings in an obscene amount of money and every success on the field just compounds that. Just look at Ty's first year when we won the first 7 games, those green shirts took off. A student designed t-shirt became a national story because we won 7 games in a row.

Locking up Charlie is one of the few correct moves Kevin White et al. have made in the fast 5 years.

getting rid of Willingham was a dumb move in my book

489337[/snapback]

Are you kidding? Willingham was an absolute dud as a recruiter and on gameday. He might be the best coach in America Sunday thru Friday but he was consistantly outcoached by guys at lesser schools.

Nobody was rooting harder for Ty to do well at ND than I, but he didn't get it done and was never going to.

Are you kidding?  Willingham was an absolute dud as a recruiter and on gameday.  He might be the best coach in America Sunday thru Friday but he was consistantly outcoached by guys at lesser schools.

Nobody was rooting harder for Ty to do well at ND than I, but he didn't get it done and was never going to.

489378[/snapback]

I was a huge TW fan. The guy really seemed to be a leader in his bearing. I guess I was fooled. I read an article last year from an unbiased observer (I can't recall who it was) that outlined that Ty just wasn't that great a coach. He's a great person, but was lacking in the things it takes to win on Saturday. I'm pretty sure Dave Wannstedt's name was invoked.

Weis seems to be the real deal to get the recruits. He has the NFL connections (not that TW didn't, but let's compare Denny Green vs. Bill Parcells/Belichick... thought so). He still has that huge trump card of "you're going to be on NATIONAL TELEVISION every week." I would say that Brady Quinn has the same Q-rating as Vince Young. Can you say the same thing about Tom Zbikowski vs. whoever returns punts for Texas? I can see the argument now... "Millions of people will be watching you play against Navy. Can you say the same thing about Miami playing Duke?"

(Of course, your grades will need to come up). <_<

You have to remember that this isn't a Weis recruited team. With that said, i think his name alone will help him recruit big time talent. Kind of like a Miami with academic standards.

I'm not sure how some of you can question his coaching ability. Look at how many superbowl rings he has! His team has been well prepared all season and they came close to knocking off USC.

TW reminds me of a likeable Gregg Williams. Great D coordinator but just not head coaching material.

That's precisely what I was thinking... These contracts are guaranteed, right?  So when he inevitably fails to satisfy (getting rid of Willingham was a dumb move in my book), they're on the hook for it.  Nice use of tuition money.  Hope ND students like being taught by grad students and adjuncts...

489337[/snapback]

Actually, the Weis move has made for good business. The Alamo Bowl or whatever mid-level bowl game the Irish have participated in over the last few seasons probably pays no more than $2 or $3 million; conversely, the BCS payoff is in the neighborhood of $10 million. On top of that, the TV deal with NBC is still viable and probably even more attractive.