indictment for Libby, lying to grand jury.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep thinking back to what Bush said at the start of his first term; "This administration will avoid even the appearance of impropriety". What goes around comes around. The Republicans set the precedent with Ken Starr and the impeachment of Clinton. Starr didn't start out investigating the Lewinsky affair, but that's where it led, and Clinton got in trouble for the lie, not the original alleged crimes that were being investigated that he was never charged with. Back then I and other Clinton supporters said it wasn't justification for impeachment, but it still took place. So a new standard was set. Everyone knew what the new standard was, and if anyone lies in an investigation, even if no crime was committed and it's not related to the crime being investigated, they have to be charged. To do otherwise would be hypocritical. Neither Democrats or Republicans can complain anymore that they don't know what the rules are.

I keep thinking back to what Bush said at the start of his first term; "This administration will avoid even the appearance of impropriety".  What goes around comes around.  The Republicans set the precedent with Ken Starr and the impeachment of Clinton.  Starr didn't start out investigating the Lewinsky affair, but that's where it led, and Clinton got in trouble for the lie, not the original alleged crimes that were being investigated that he was never charged with.  Back then I and other Clinton supporters said it wasn't justification for impeachment, but it still took place.  So a new standard was set.  Everyone knew what the new standard was, and if anyone lies in an investigation, even if no crime was committed and it's not related to the crime being investigated, they have to be charged.  To do otherwise would be hypocritical.  Neither Democrats or Republicans can complain anymore that they don't know what the rules are.

489259[/snapback]

No administration is going to avoid the appearance of impropriety as long as the media frenzy for scandal inspires special prosecutors to empower themselves with the mandate "investigate until you find something." Happened with Clinton, happening with Bush, it'll happen with whoever comes next...

Happened with Clinton, happening with Bush, it'll happen with whoever comes next...

489271[/snapback]

Or maybe now that the slate has been evened out, maybe there won't be such a feeding frenzy next time around....

Hee hee.