Discipline and Smarts

cale

I'm not one to normally torture myself over the Bills after the loss - but this last loss has driven me over the edge. I'm trying to analyze why since the TD era we've had no success...I think the reason is (master of the obvious), the coaching has never been able to instill discipline on the field (per assignments and overpursuing etc.) and our players don't seem to have the smarts to play intelligently.

Say what you want about the Levy/Phillips/Polian/Butler era - some of those players might not have been the most talented or athletic - but they were football smart...

And I also think smarts and independent thinking go hand in hand - this regime doesn't seem to want the latter with a few exceptions...Moulds, Holcomb, Spikes, Schoebel etc. This I think translates to some of the indiscipline we see on the field.

Is there any way we can lure Jeff Fisher to Buffalo with the promise of total control?

Charles

I'm not one to normally torture myself over the Bills after the loss - but this last loss has driven me over the edge.  I'm trying to analyze why since the TD era we've had no success...I think the reason is (master of the obvious), the coaching has never been able to instill discipline on the field (per assignments and overpursuing etc.) and our players don't seem to have the smarts to play intelligently.

Say what you want about the Levy/Phillips/Polian/Butler era - some of those players might not have been the most talented or athletic - but they were football smart...

And I also think smarts and independent thinking go hand in hand - this regime doesn't seem to want the latter with a few exceptions...Moulds, Holcomb, Spikes, Schoebel etc.  This I think translates to some of the indiscipline we see on the field.

Is there any way we can lure Jeff Fisher to Buffalo with the promise of total control?

Charles

486142[/snapback]

Man I have to agree with you 100 percent on one thing in particular...our team has played undisciplined football for quite some time. And i think it definitely boils down to coaching...

In my opinion, this teams needs a Tom Coughlin, Bill Parcells type of disciplinarian coach. But we know that TD would never, ever allow that type of thing to happen.

Man I have to agree with you 100 percent on one thing in particular...our team has played undisciplined football for quite some time.  And i think it definitely boils down to coaching...

In my opinion, this teams needs a Tom Coughlin, Bill Parcells type of disciplinarian coach.  But we know that TD would never, ever allow that type of thing to happen.

486238[/snapback]

Isn't that what we thought we were getting in GW?

Isn't  that what we thought we were getting in GW?

486253[/snapback]

Well he was a good interview.....

The problem with Gregg-o or anyone coming in with an airhorn and telling everyone how he's going to make the team disciplined and how he's going to make a great defense even better is that he had never been a head coach before! If you're going to be a Grade A hump you better have a history of success at that level backing you up or it's not going to fly with veterans or young players. Coughlin had previous success in Jacksonville, Parcells had success everywhere he went - these guys can get away with their style of coaching.

BTW, I wouldn't want Fisher up here. I don't think we can say Mularkey is a wash just yet. He does need to reign Grey in with his schemes and get the defense to play a little more conservatively by putting the players in position to make plays. In the same way he needs to throw the gimmicks out of the offensive playbook and get Clements in line before this offense completely implodes.

Well he was a good interview.....

The problem with Gregg-o or anyone coming in with an airhorn and telling everyone how he's going to make the team disciplined and how he's going to make a great defense even better is that he had never been a head coach before! If you're going to be a Grade A hump you better have a history of success at that level backing you up or it's not going to fly with veterans or young players. Coughlin had previous success in Jacksonville, Parcells had success everywhere he went - these guys can get away with their style of coaching.

BTW, I wouldn't want Fisher up here. I don't think we can say Mularkey is a wash just yet. He does need to reign Grey in with his schemes and get the defense to play a little more conservatively by putting the players in position to make plays. In the same way he needs to throw the gimmicks out of the offensive playbook and get Clements in line before this offense completely implodes.

486270[/snapback]

I guess Greggy has learned, because he most likely has more options to excercise disciplinary measure with another team.

LaVar Arrington!!!!!

Their star LB has been riding the pine for most of this season. He finally get his chance to play because Greggy actually made Arrington work in practice, and Arrington had a good game under the terms Greggy set down.

I'm sure that would not be allowed on the Bills; actually sitting a "star" player down until he worked in practice. Unheard of.

Could this be a main reason for the undiscliplined play???