DID BUFFALO INTERVIEW WEIS ?

Talonz

I mostly agree...But Big Ben was a Grand Slam Home Run Draft Pick, and I don't think anyone (even the Steelers) expected that...At least not as fast as it happened...

484729[/snapback]

agreed...but that was not the focus of the reply....the focus was on the

Wisenhunt/Russ Grimm offense....bring in solid line play and simplify

your offense....and help your young QB.

I seem to remember Lewis didn't get hired because he didn't want to come -- Something about the Buffalo schools not black enough or something like that, at least according to Lewis's wife..

484219[/snapback]

he made those comments AFTER he was rejected by TD.........sour grapes me thinks

484222[/snapback]

Lewis's wife made comments BEFORE final decision was made after Lewis's agent sent a counteroffer regarding Buffalo's SCHOOLS being good enough NOT about race. Some callers to WGR did speculation on reasoning which was picked up in some "press" as "news" but it was supposedly about school quality.

Lewis wanted a much larger contract which is why he hopped teams for one year to Redsucks. DC schools are MUCH WORSE than anything in WNY and their kids did not go to DC public schools so the whole school thing was just a ploy to get Lewis more $$$$$. He made comments afterwards that he was "worth" the money paid by the Redsucks and that Baltimore 'understood' why he took a lateral move.

What makes it hard to post after these beatings is that it is damn near impossible not to flame people for moronic statements.

So, because Charlie Weiss is having success in COLLEGE - Tom Donahoe needs to be fired?  ;)  Why not Pete Carroll?  He's having a lot of success.  He coached in the NFL. Why aren't you clamoring for him?  Steve Spurrier?  Bob Stoops?  C'mon, be consistent.  Who else is having COLLEGE success that should cause NFL GM's/Coaches to be fired?

How in the world does one make that leap of logic?

484369[/snapback]

Hey, you're being much too logical for the main board. Better jump back the OT forum....

Did ole whitey interview Charlie Weis before hiring Mularkey? 

484176[/snapback]

Buffalo News--January 11, 2004

"It looks like a three-man race for head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and a decision probably will come this week.

The Bills' brain trust spent the past two days analyzing the information gathered from seven interviews of head-coaching candidates.

The three likeliest choices to succeed Gregg Williams still appear to be former Chicago head coach Dick Jauron, Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and New England offensive coordinator Charlie Weis.

Jauron has a distinct advantage over the three other candidates with defensive backgrounds -- New England coordinator Romeo Crennel, Bills coordinator Jerry Gray and St. Louis coordinator Lovie Smith. Jauron has five years of head coaching experience. Crennel, Gray and Smith never have been head coaches.

Mularkey and Weis have an edge over the other offensive candidate, ex-New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, according to league and team sources. Fassel was declining in the Bills' assessment before his interview. His standing was not improved after his meeting in Buffalo on Tuesday, according to a source in the Fassel camp and league sources.

Bills President and General Manager Tom Donahoe has not ruled out the possibility of conducting a second stage of interviews. However, if a second round isn't needed, a decision could come as early as Monday.

The victory by the Patriots Saturday night probably hurts the chances of Weis. He has been off-limits to the Bills since Jan. 3, and no team can have contact with him until after the Pats are eliminated from the playoffs. Donahoe's first session with Bill Belichick's aide nine days ago was not believed to be more than a few hours long because Weis was busy preparing for the playoffs. Neither Weis nor Crennel has been able to meet Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. It could be Feb. 2 -- after the Super Bowl -- before the Bills can contact Weis again.

The risk in waiting that long is other candidates -- such as Mularkey -- could get hired by another team. And the field of potential assistants will be thinner at that time, since the other teams that have changed coaches will have made most of their hires."

IMO, TD picked MM because of his experience with GW when it came to hiring assistants. Most of the good ones were gone by the time GW was named HC--and we saw the mess that caused (Ronnie fricken' Vinklarek!!)

If TD had had more patience, maybe we'd have Weis to kick around today...

Weis has said on the record that he was interivewed. Weis said he wasn't hired because he would told TD he wanted to get rid of Bledsoe immediately. TD said no and that was that. Of course, a year and a half later, Bledsoe is throwing backbreaking picks for someone else and Weis is bringing greatness to what was a medicore program.

TD should be fired for this single mistake.

484356[/snapback]

WOW--Is that really true??? OMG..,.....

What makes it hard to post after these beatings is that it is damn near impossible not to flame people for moronic statements.

So, because Charlie Weiss is having success in COLLEGE - Tom Donahoe needs to be fired?  ;)  Why not Pete Carroll?  He's having a lot of success.  He coached in the NFL. Why aren't you clamoring for him?  Steve Spurrier?  Bob Stoops?  C'mon, be consistent.  Who else is having COLLEGE success that should cause NFL GM's/Coaches to be fired?

How in the world does one make that leap of logic?

484369[/snapback]

Uhmmmmm..in defense of Pete carrol....all I can say is D B ....

Lewis wanted a much larger contract which is why he hopped teams for one year to Redsucks.  DC schools are MUCH WORSE than anything in WNY and their kids did not go to DC public schools so the whole school thing was just a ploy to get Lewis more $$$$$.  He made comments afterwards that he was "worth" the money paid by the Redsucks and that Baltimore 'understood' why he took a lateral move.

485577[/snapback]

DC means DC metro....In fact most of these guys stay in the posh suburbs

of Northern Virginia....I have seen Norv Turner quite a few times in the

Fair Oaks mall in Fairfax...Public schools in fairfax county are among the

best in the country....

No, Tom Donahoe needs to be fired because he chose to hand the team over to another guy who has been out-coached regularly since he was hired. Damn it, he was schooled this week by Norv Freaking Turner.

Weis had plenty of success in the NFL as an assitant. A lot more success, in my opinion, than Mularkey ever had. Now, Weis has quickly established a very good team modeled very much after the two-time defending World Champs.

I believe each of the guys you mentioned made their reputations in college -- not in the NFL as Weis did. Yeah, Carroll had some time in the NFL, but he'd be a nobody if it wasn't for college ball. So, I am not sure where the "consistent" comment comes from.

I think it is obvious that Donahoe picked the wrong guy, and such a mistake should cost him his job. If you don't see that, then so be it. I wonder if you think MM was the right choice, or if you think it is too early (23 games into his tenure) to tell?

I was thinking about this exact point on Sunday. We blew it. Again. Td was wowed by Greggo's lists & passed on Fox and Lewis. Then we get down to 3 coaches, one of whom was a good HC for 5+ years with a team that had no front office, another who won 5, yes, five SBs (with Parcells and Belicheck) two of the coaches in NFL history, and a guy who was OC for a mediocre offense for 3 years and earned the nickname "wicky-wacky" Mularkey because of his penchant for falling in love with trick plays. Who does TD pick... :w00t:

Yes, for whiffing of HC twice, he should lose his friggin job. He's had 5 years to put this together and blew it. The team now has to be almost totally rebuilt. The D is old, we have no oline, all we have is a few decent young skill players to build around. I don't want TD rebuilding it again. He fugged it up. Let someone else have a shot.

I was thinking about this exact point on Sunday.  We blew it.  Again.  Td was wowed by Greggo's lists & passed on Fox and Lewis.  Then we get down to 3 coaches, one of whom was a good HC for 5+ years with a team that had no front office, another who won 5, yes, five SBs (with Parcells and Belicheck) two of the coaches in NFL history, and a guy who was OC for a mediocre offense for 3 years and earned the nickname "wicky-wacky" Mularkey because of his penchant for falling in love with trick plays.  Who does TD pick... ;)

Yes, for whiffing of HC twice, he should lose his friggin job.  He's had 5 years to put this together and blew it.  The team now has to be almost totally rebuilt.  The D is old, we have no oline, all we have is a few decent young skill players to build around.  I don't want TD rebuilding it again.  He fugged it up.  Let someone else have a shot.

485989[/snapback]

Watch out! :w00t: Someone might call you a moron.

DC means DC metro....In fact most of these guys stay in the posh suburbs

of Northern Virginia....I have seen Norv Turner quite a few times in the

Fair Oaks mall in Fairfax...Public schools in fairfax county are among the

best in the country....

485957[/snapback]

That is EXACTLY my point - his (Lewis's) kids did not go to DC public schools - he went to suburbian (I am not sure if they were MD or VA) schools but his wife complained about Buffalo public schools despite Erie County having as good schools as any area of the country. It was a way to let Lewis know he wanted more money than was on the table as a first time head coach. Notice that Fox, Lewis and MM were all first time head coaches and posters complain because the Bills signed a cooridinator rather than an experienced "name" head coach yet keep pointing to Fox and Lewis because their teams currently have winning records.

The fans just want to complain.

In the 1990's there were the battling Bills who fought each other and in the 2000's we have the bitching Buffalo fans who tear down the Bills fan support before they have a chance to rebuild and many of the same bitchers are the ones who said MM was doing a great job in 2nd half of last year.

I did not expect the Bills to have a superbowl this year or even a winning season; it was too much to expect the gambling defense to win as many games nor to expect that the offense would solidify quickly enough. But I am not a Jets and I am not going to turn on the team and become an anti-fan (popularized by upChuck DICKerson) like many seem to have become.