McGee = Tasker

Keuka

Did I hear a rumor that they might put him on offfense for a couple of plays. When I watched the Jets game I thought about how long the Bills played Tasker on special teams and defense before they let him play offense. Both of these guys are playmakers. When McGee made that interception last week he ran like he was possessed to and nearly socred.

Mcgee is an exciting player and exceeds Tasker's abilities to return kickoffs for TDs by a longshot as best as I can tell. However, Tasker excelled at so many parts of the ST game AND added a quality contribution as a back-up position player that its McGee who has a long way to go (add longevity to quality of play) before he even reasonably be talked about in the same breath as this potential HOF player.

Specifically, Tasker brought to the game:

Cover Teams- Tasker was simply the best in the league as a gunner going downfield to cover kicks. He revolutionized the game with is play here and got the great claim to fame that they had to change the rules of the game in a couple of cases to take his play out of the game (for example, they changed the rules of the game during the midst of Tasker's careerto prevent anyone but the two outside cover guys from going downfield before the kick passed the line of scrimmage and the gunner role was born. KR teams took to putting two blockers on the gunners to delay them and give the return guy a cleaner shot. Tasker took to actually running downfield out of bounds to avoid the blockers and was fast enough to still get downfield and make the tackle. The NFL put in a

Mcgee is an exciting player and exceeds Tasker's abilities to return kickoffs for TDs by a longshot as best as I can tell.  However, Tasker excelled at so many parts of the ST game AND added a quality contribution as a back-up position player that its McGee who has a long way to go (add longevity to quality of play) before he even reasonably be talked about in the same breath as this potential HOF player.

Specifically, Tasker brought to the game:

Cover Teams- Tasker was simply the best in the league as a gunner going downfield to cover kicks. He revolutionized the game with is play here and got the great claim to fame that they had to change the rules of the game in a couple of cases to take his play out of the game (for example, they changed the rules of the game during the midst of Tasker's careerto prevent anyone but the two outside cover guys from going downfield before the kick passed the line of scrimmage and the gunner role was born.  KR teams took to putting two blockers on the gunners to delay them and give the return guy a cleaner shot.  Tasker took to actually running downfield out of bounds to avoid the blockers and was fast enough to still get downfield and make the tackle. The NFL put in a

482646[/snapback]

oops acidently sent message in mid-stream)

rule specifically banning this practice because Tasker used it so effectively. Few players has the tackling ability and the speed to pull this off.

Also, as a cove guy, Tasker was par excellence as getting downfield and not only hitting the receiver immediately if he did not call for a fair catch, but if he got out of the way downing it within the five and in a couple of cases where Mohr kicked it high even getting downfield and with his sure hands after a forty yard sprint and with is back to the ball even make the catch of the punt.

Kick Return- Tasker was simply phenomenal at coverage but he was good on the return game to. It mostly spoke to the Bills never having a McGee/Donte Hall like return threat on their squad and Tasker was not at that level as a player However, he did the first job of any return guy (a difficult one in the dicey and variable high level Ralph winds) that he could be counted upon not to fumble. Add to that he was not only a reliable kick catcher but he did have the offensive skills to break a return for good yardage.

Back-up position play- Tasker proved to be such a productive WR that at the point when the Bills suffered multiple injuries to A. Reed and the rest of the crew and Billy Brooks actually had to step up nicely to be our #1 WR, there was also some lobbying to make Tasker our permanent starting WR because of some very productive games he had at this position.

His play here was a direct translation of why he was a dangerous player on kick coverage.

I like McGee and am pleased to hear that extension talks for this RFA are getting serious. He actually is a higher priority to me to resign that Nate C who for right now my plan would be to franchise him anyway. However, McGee simply has a longway to go in terms of demonstrating the quality range of his play not to mention longevity before he can seriously be mentioned in any comparison to Tasker.

Overall:

1. McGee KR ability is phenomenal but only this year are we beginning to see it is long-term and not an episode. Tasker was phenomenal on the kick coverage side of the game which equals this in my mind.

The ability to put up 7 because the McGee threat is gamebreaking in and of itself rather than Tasker covering kicks phenomenally required the D to make good on the opportunity he created gives McGee a nod here, but Tasker's work was useful for more than a couple of kickoffs per game but on every punt as well as kick so he gets this nod. In terms of the best part of their game I give a slight nod to Tasker.

2. The best part of the Tasker ST game was coverage but he was also a threat on returns. The best part of McGee's game are returns and he does not do much or anything on coverage duty so Tasker gets the nod for the second best part of his ST game.

3. Tasker was a reliable back-up at WR but McGee is a starter at CB and at least is talked about as one day possibly being our #1 and a shudown corner. He is not there yet, but he clearly has improved from last year where the injury to Vincent forced him into a starting role. He used to get burned for a long pass at least once a game and now though it still happens he is a better CB. The two plays where McGee defended nicely on an endzone throw from Vinny turned and played the ball well followed by NC failing to turn to see the ball and getting a PI was interesting to see giving the hyperventilating many are doing about resigning NC.

McGee gets the nod over Tasker here and the talk of McGee also being a weapon on offense is intriguing and if it happens (and it lasts for a long time) then perhaps it will be true that McGee even exceeds Tasker. However, not to date by a longshot.

McGee on offense might not be a bad idea... at least in principle. A player can only take being in on so many plays per game. If the defense would come to the party a little more often and ring up some three and outs, it might open up the door a little more for Mcgee to play some "O". Provided the Bills had a QB that could get the ball deep, a 4 wide set of Moulds, Parrish, Evans, McGee would be lethal.

Right now, McGee is the only player on this team worthy of Team MVP consideration.

I dont understand y everyone wants to see mcgee on the "O" side of the game...with the wr's we have how would he make that much of a difference...plus with parrish most likely starting this week that gives us another good wr to use...the only possition on the "O" that mcgee could be used for, but might be to small for, is at TE where we dont have any outstanding players at...wich wr do you sit inorder to play mcgee..Moulds? - dont think so...Evans? - hes to fast and useful for long pass's...Reed? - he might be replaced by parrish but most likely not ths week, besides hes playing well this year...Parrish? - hes gonna be great and this will be his first week so y sit him allready for mcgee...like I said TE or possably RB...but we allready have a lot of good RB's so I just dont see it..maybe MM is just trying to get teams to wonder if he'll be in game and try to scare them. I say quit trying to find a place for him on "O" and let him become the great CB I know he will be someday...this is a team,not the mcgee show

Did I hear a rumor that they might put him on offfense for a couple of plays.

I read the same thing somewhere and was also kind of intrigued. Sneak him on in a 5wide set and run him out of the slot you might surprise the Raider D and get a nice matchup with him singled downfield with a nickel or dimeback. You might also get Holcomb squished though....

oops acidently sent message in mid-stream)

Whew, when you pulled up short there, I was afraid you were choking. I was warming up for my Heimlich Maneuver but am relieved the pathway seems to be cleared. :blush:

I thought I remember hearing Jimbo say that Tasker was the fastest guy on The Bills, though I think Beebe was gone by then so don't get yer knickers in a knot. I haven't heard that said about McGee.

About the only time I could see McGee in the game as a wideout is the last play of the half or end of the game. i.e., DESPERATION TIME. Besides, I thought Peters was going to play WR this week. Afterall, he's the jack-of-all-trades. :blush:

Just imagine the outrage if McGee pops a ganube on a pass play and our sure-thing Cornerback gets hobbled for a few games or worse. It's one thing if that should happen when he's playing his natural position, but to be over-utilizing him when it's not necessary is accepting more risk than can be justified if something goes wrong. And bad things happen in this sport. Bad things.

So unless you're secretly harboring an urge to see Vincent back at Corner and Coy Wire at Safety, let's can the talk of McGee on offense. Frankly, it's offensive.