Bills use Sape's Samoan war chants

I think its called the "Haka" we used to watch teams do it before our rugby games in HS we would just get fired up and kick the crap out of them en route to a national title my sophomore year.

482006[/snapback]

Small wonder.

Here's a bit about The Haka!.

The Haka was composed in 1820 by Ta Rauparaha the High Chief of the Ngati Toa tribe.

The story says that he wrote it when he was hiding from another tribe who were trying to kill him.

The chief of yet another tribe, referred to as the “hairy man” helped him to hide in a dark pit from which he emerged safely into the sunlight.

The Haka was first used in rugby by the New Zealand team in a match in the UK in 1888.

It was used again in 1905 when the New Zealand team were first referred to as “The All Blacks” because of the color of their shirts.

Since then the Haka has been used before every All Blacks match.

Actions, postures and expressions:

Look fierce like a warrior

Stand firmly with your feet apart

Slap your hands against your thighs

Puff out your chest with pride

Bend your knees

Move your hips with strength

Stamp your feet as hard as you can

Make strong arm movements

Jump and land firmly

Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!

Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!

Tenei tangata puhuru huru

Nana nei I tiki mai

Whakawhiti te ra

A upa… ne! ka upa… ne!

A upane kaupane whiti te ra

Hi!!!

(In English please…)

It’s death! It’s death! It’s life! It’s life!

It’s death! It’s death! It’s life! It’s life!

This is the hairy man

Who brought up the sun

And caused it to shine again on me

One upward step!

Another upward step!

Up to the top!… the Sun shines!!!

Although the words of the Haka are not related specifically to rugby,

it has become accepted that, when it is performed by the All Blacks before a match,

it is a challenge, which means:

We are the All Blacks, of the New Zealand people.

Here we are. Here to face you.

We will do you the honor of playing to the limits that

Our hearts and sinews impose upon us.

We will be very hard to beat.

Now, let's cut the sh-- and play some football!

i got addicted to all black rugby this past summer when i went to n.z. those guys get themselves so jacked doing that thing it is unbelievable. i watched enough games that i almost got it memorized, but then the final test match against south africa saw the ABs debut a NEW haka, that they wrote themselves. it caused a little controversey because it ended with a THROAT-SLASH gesture by the all blacks toward the south african team. i wish you could have seen it- tana umaga (team captain and full-blood maori) just about had an aneurism leading it. the haka is awesome stuff- so much fun and int'l rugby is such a great game!

i got addicted to all black rugby this past summer when i went to n.z.  those guys get themselves so jacked doing that thing it is unbelievable.  i watched enough games that i almost got it memorized, but then the final test match against south africa saw the ABs debut a NEW haka, that they wrote themselves.  it caused a little controversey because it ended with a THROAT-SLASH gesture by the all blacks toward the south african team.    i wish you could have seen it- tana umaga (team captain and full-blood maori) just about had an aneurism leading it.  the haka is awesome stuff-  so much fun and int'l rugby is such a great game!

482557[/snapback]

Most of the island teams do it too. Not sure what's more interesting - watching NZ get up into the expressionless faces of England etc, or watching Fiji and Tonga do it to each other and nearly start a riot before the match even begins!

Hey, if it gets the players fired up, what's the harm?  A win is a win.

I have contacted Sape in the hopes that he will agree.  I will keep you posted on progress.

481822[/snapback]

u know what gets people pumped up?

steroids

lets try that