Bills to work out Quentin Griffin

No one has mentioned that the Bills could be looking at a multi-player deal. We get Griffith and a DT or OL, and they get Gates and a young CB or something.

I highly doubt we're interested in Griffith straight up...

479350[/snapback]

Huh?

Isn't Griffith a FA?

the bills work out players all the time - I dont think it means anything.

it just may be one for the file - Im sure TD would say 'any time we have a chance to look at a player & possibly improve our team blah blah

I think workouts happen all the time, they just arent always in the news

the bills work out players all the time - I dont think it means anything.

it just may be one for the file - Im sure TD would say 'any time we have a chance to look at a player & possibly improve our team blah blah

I think workouts happen all the time, they just arent always in the news

479619[/snapback]

You're probably right. It's not unusual to see in my local n'paper something like "The B'gals had a tryout for so-and-so 3 days ago". Often, it's a player who had an association some time in the past with one of the coaches - no harm in taking a look, and it's a bit of a professional courtesy.

The guy can be a stud when healthy but I really like Shaud Williams as our backup.

479074[/snapback]

Are you kidding? I'm having a VERY hard time wrapping my head around Shaud Williams not literally combusting from accumulated punishment by about his 15th carry of a game.

There were two times in the Jets game when he got absolutely punished on ordinary hits. No way dude would hold up to being an every down back.

There were two times in the Jets game when he got absolutely punished on ordinary hits.  No way dude would hold up to being an every down back.

479642[/snapback]

I like Shaud in the relief role - I think he brings a lot of quickness and speed as a change-of-pace back. I have no real point or agenda, but since you saw the same thing I did in regards to Shaud getting drilled, I'll ask.

God forbid Willis goes down with an injury for a game or more, do you see Lionel Gates getting a larger percentage of the carries, or maybe even starting, since he's bigger than Shaud and is a more physical back?

I like Shaud in the relief role - I think he brings a lot of quickness and speed as a change-of-pace back.  I have no real point or agenda, but since you saw the same thing I did in regards to Shaud getting drilled, I'll ask.

God forbid Willis goes down with an injury for a game or more, do you see Lionel Gates getting a larger percentage of the carries, or maybe even starting, since he's bigger than Shaud and is a more physical back?

479648[/snapback]

I do. Gates could seriously be a player. Williams is nothing more than a nice change of pace and probably won the job with his versatility and situational knowledge. That extra year certainly helped him.

I'm concerned that Gates isn't progressing and because of that Donahoe is looking at Griffin.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3126653\

Footnotes

The NFL trading deadline is today. The Broncos aren't expected to make a deal. ... Former Broncos running back Quentin Griffin will work out for Buffalo, while former defensive end Anton Palepoi is in Arizona. ... Washington coach Joe Gibbs was fined $10,000 by the NFL for comments about the officiating in the Redskins' loss at Denver on Oct. 9.

479071[/snapback]

That doesn't make any sense unless the team is really down on Shaud and Lionel Gates. Williams has played great when called upon but Gates hasn't seen any action yet.

Williams has played great when called upon but Gates hasn't seen any action yet.

479770[/snapback]

Granted, it was against 3rd stringers, but Gates looked pretty good to me in preseason. I wouldn't know how to describe him other than a poor man's McGahee. He seemed to run very hard and has a very physical style. Looked like he had decent speed too.

I hope he gets an opportunity in mop up duty this year. I think the kid might be pretty good and I'd like to see him in a regular season game.

What's the problem...John Guy's just doing his job of keeping a "ready list" of available street FAs who could be signed in an emergency. This kind of stuff happens all season.

I can't help wondering why so many people are quick to find fault with every little thing on this and other forums anymore. What happened to just enjoying the game and being a fan?