Spyro Gyra in Buffalo clubs in the '70's...

Tony P

If so, a couple of us are going to revisit that experience tonight. Spyro Gyra will be playing 2 shows at what's basically a 200 seat club in downtown Mpls.

If memory serves me right, I saw Jay Beckenstein regularly perform with a pre-Spyro Gyra band called Spoon and the House Rockers. Used to go down to the One Eyed Cat and a couple other joints and listen to Jazz, Blues and R&B 'til 2:00 or 3:00 in the AM. :blink: Then get up for work at 7:00 AM! Hah! Couldn't do that now if you paid me a million dollars. And we did it 4 or 5 nights a week!

The shows tonight are 7:oo and 10:30. You KNOW that I'll be at the early one :D .

saw them in the 80's in clubs in syracuse and at various jazz fests, great band, just heard them on my sirius radio the other nite

If so, a couple of us are going to revisit that experience tonight. Spyro Gyra will be playing 2 shows at what's basically a 200 seat club in downtown Mpls.

If memory serves me right, I saw Jay Beckenstein regularly perform with a pre-Spyro Gyra band called Spoon and the House Rockers. Used to go down to the One Eyed Cat and a couple other joints and listen to Jazz, Blues and R&B 'til 2:00 or 3:00 in the AM.  :D Then get up for work at 7:00 AM! Hah! Couldn't do that now if you paid me a million dollars. And we did it 4 or 5 nights a week!

The shows tonight are 7:oo and 10:30. You KNOW that I'll be at the early one  :blink: .

478254[/snapback]

Just a quick review: if you like solid jazz musicians, you should check out their show if you get the opportunity. This group can still cook after all of these years. It was really a terrific show. Even my bride, who's not a big fan said that it was far more than she expected. We almost stayed for the late show but alas; it was a school night. I think the fact that it was back in a club environment had something to do with it as well. Not such a big production, just good music.

After the show finished, I got to speak with Jay Beckenstein a bit reminiscing about the old clubs in Buffalo and how they enjoyed playing around town. He's a nice guy and a great saxophonist, IMO.

Yep, I frequented the Tralf many times. I saw them there once or twice. But an interesting side, there was a guy by the name of John Hunt. He helped organize a concert with Spyro Gyra in the High School I used to go to. That was when I fell in love with Jazz. That was in 74 or 75.

Incerdible music, but after some time, all the originals musicians left and their music did a lot of changing too.

Incerdible music, but after some time, all the originals musicians left and their music did a lot of changing too.

479987[/snapback]

Not completely true. Jay Beckenstein and Tom Shuman are original members and not to discount the contributions of the other musicians who have come and gone over the years, these two have really been the heart and soul of SG since the beginning.