Anyone addicted

Billzfan23

Would anyone here say (besides me because I am waking up to the fact) that they are addicted to sports? Has anyone else here besides me lost sleep over it, have too much elation over a victory or feel abnormally down over a loss? I was just wondering what the thoughts of other fans and TBD posters were on the issue. I have noticed that my mood on Sunday night and Monday at work is affected by whether the Bills or my other favorite teams win or lose, and I wonder how healthy that is overall? Anyone else deal with this issue, and if so, what did you do/change?

Would anyone here say (besides me because I am waking up to the fact) that they are addicted to sports?  Has anyone else here besides me lost sleep over it, have too much elation over a victory or feel abnormally down over a loss?  I was just wondering what the thoughts of other fans and TBD posters were on the issue.  I have noticed that my mood on Sunday night and Monday at work is affected by whether the Bills or my other favorite teams win or lose, and I wonder how healthy that is overall?  Anyone else deal with this issue, and if so, what did you do/change?

477688[/snapback]

Yep! I take my sports very serious/personal! Add to the fact that im rooting for my fantasy players from OTHER teams and it can be quit a stressfull day! But its sweet when the Bills win regardless of how the other players did. Fantasy is just games, the Bills are Life!

I will admit it, im addicted to sports. Better to have this addiction than one to crack though :w00t: I go from football season, into hockey, NCAA basketball, into baseball. Its all I watch on TV (besides ESPN). My wife hates it, but as I told her it could be worse. I could be at the bar getting bombed! My moods also depend on whether or not my teams are winning. Especially the Bills. Those Gregg Williams year were tough, almost checked myself in!

I used to be exactly like that, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happier today than I would have been if our boys had lost yesterday. But I think as you age and other things become important in your life (like kids), it's easier to not let it affect you so much. My kids don't give a rat's ass (yet :w00t:) whether the Bills won or lost, so when I come home after a loss they always put a smile right back on my face.

I learned about this in one of my numerous psych classes in college. the most common way people feel better or feel less down based on their sports team is to associate with them differently. When the team is successful and one wants to be associated with that success because it feels good to do so; one will say "We" won "we played could D" etc.... Hence personalizing the successful actions of the team. When the team is performing poorly, we'll often resort to "THEY fumbled" "They played poor Run D etc." Through language you either associate yourself with the team, or distance yourself from them based on the feeling you want or are trying to avoid. :w00t:

I learned about this in one of my numerous psych classes in college.  the most common way people feel better or feel less down based on their sports team is to associate with them differently.  When the team is successful and one wants to be associated with that success because it feels good to do so; one will say "We" won "we played could D" etc....  Hence personalizing the successful actions of the team.  When the team is performing poorly, we'll often resort to "THEY fumbled" "They played poor Run D etc."  Through language you either associate yourself with  the team, or distance yourself from them based on the feeling you want or are trying to avoid.  :w00t:

477737[/snapback]

Exactly right! Nice post! Never thought of it that way!

I learned about this in one of my numerous psych classes in college.  the most common way people feel better or feel less down based on their sports team is to associate with them differently.  When the team is successful and one wants to be associated with that success because it feels good to do so; one will say "We" won "we played could D" etc....  Hence personalizing the successful actions of the team.  When the team is performing poorly, we'll often resort to "THEY fumbled" "They played poor Run D etc."  Through language you either associate yourself with  the team, or distance yourself from them based on the feeling you want or are trying to avoid.  :w00t:

477737[/snapback]

In my pysch class they called it basking in reflected glory (BIRG). I agree that the more other things you get into, the less the performance of a sports team (even the Bills) will affect you. I think it's unhealthy to care too much about a sports team unless your livelihood depends on it. But with the Bills it's also very unhealthy to not care enough :lol:.

I learned about this in one of my numerous psych classes in college.  the most common way people feel better or feel less down based on their sports team is to associate with them differently.  When the team is successful and one wants to be associated with that success because it feels good to do so; one will say "We" won "we played could D" etc....  Hence personalizing the successful actions of the team.  When the team is performing poorly, we'll often resort to "THEY fumbled" "They played poor Run D etc."  Through language you either associate yourself with  the team, or distance yourself from them based on the feeling you want or are trying to avoid.  :lol:

477737[/snapback]

This is, of course, closely related to Doug Flutie Syndrome, wherein the player says "I threw a touchdown pass" but "we fumbled." :w00t:

Got this from somwehere, dont recall, but its well written, and pretty much explains our addiction:

I am weak with fatigue as I write. Last night, the much feared men in white suits grabbed me from my home, took me to the hospital, and tried to install a heart in my chest. Luckily, my body rejected the organ, emitting such a foul odor that they had to give up and return me to my home, heartless til the bitter end.

Recently I was questioned as to why I love sports so much. My reply: isn’t it obvious. The woman indicated that it was not, and so I set about on a mission. Today, I defend men. Typically, I refrain from doing so because men are, as a rule of thumb, pigs. I have no problem saying this, because, as I said, it is in fact the truth. Just look at the facts: What do you get when you combine "man" and "men"? Mean! Some women will look at this as all the evidence they need to ban sports worldwide. Just the same, I have witnessed an injustice in the way men are treated and must address it here. I am talking about the hell men take for watching sports.

Ladies, men need sports. It isn't just a pastime or a guilty pleasure; it is an actual need like eating or sleeping or peeing in the bushes. Yes, it is quite like peeing in the bushes. You see, men are more similar to dogs than they are to, say, angels. When a man sees a ball in flight, he must stop to observe. It would be painful on a molecular level for him to refrain. Like dogs, man is mesmerized by the projectile. So long as there is a ball in motion, he's happy.

A man is equally content watching a golf ball as he is watching a basketball as he is watching a shuttlecock. Well, badminton hasn't come into its own yet. It looks like someone tied a ribbon to the back of the ball. Much too foofy. This may just be a woman’s attempt to create a sport. That’d explain the tiny little rackets too.

So long as a ball or ball-like object is in play, a man cannot be expected to function normally. The actual game being played is immaterial. I've watched Autralian Rules Football for hours and still don't know what they're trying to accomplish. That both sides want to win is enough for me. If I were sufficiently desperate, I'd watch competitive Tiddlywinks, especially if the players were permitted to shout at each other between tiddles.

“You couldn’t tiddle if it ran right off your finger and into the plate!”

As a hockey nut, I am hypnotized by the puck, a flattened version of a ball designed to slide on ice. Because ice is not indigenous to Florida, the puck hasn't gained the acclaim of a football or a baseball, but just you wait. I've been awake at 3 a.m. watching a Maple Leafs’ game, eyes red, head empty, three hours from reporting to work, and totally unable to stop.

This is much unlike watching baseball late at night, because a baseball game is much more calming, the pitcher in his smooth delivery, the fluid swing of the batter, the sweet natural motions of the infield in the 4-6-3 double play.

With hockey, players batter each other into the ice, and a scoring chance for one team, can immediately be turned the other way. The power play can lead to the short handed goal. Players race each other back and forth down the length of the ice, often stopping to pick up teeth and other assorted items. A players smooth moves to accelerate down ice are often abbreviated by a body moving in the opposite direction. Too much excitement for trying to sleep. Hockey does not allow sleep.

It's like Superman in the presence of Kryptonite - Need help... Can't stop... watching... hockey...

On the other hand, I‘ve had binges whereby I watch several football games, all at the same time on picture-in-picture, with the laptop running more scores and replays of the games not being shown in the picture, or in the picture-in-picture. My therapist says that I don't need to binge on football because I don't need to fear future football deprivation. If I'm not careful, she's going to commit me to Footballaholics Anonymous. Damn woman does not understand my need of this game.

I don't know how the afterlife bodes for a man when he knows more about Dan Marino’s lifetime passing yardage than he does the 9 or 10 Commandments; but his need to know those numbers is every bit as real as his need to bed down at the end of the day. And if there is something wrong with that, then there's something wrong with his basic physical constitution.

"A-ha," says woman. "Now we're getting somewhere."

When a man feels like he is missing an important game, he grows nervous and fidgety like a cocaine junky. Like a computer programmer being deprived from his Mountain Dew, systems start to shut down, pupils dilate, It isn't right. Whatever he is doing is less meaningful than his need to know the score. And who scored. And the looks on the other players faces when he scored. If a man is kept from sports long enough, he can develop hives or, worse yet, join a bridge club.

Having laid this foundation, ladies, it is only fair that you give man his ball. It's silly, I know. No matter who wins the championship, no matter who drinks from the Holy Grail, it will all start over again next season.

Granted, there are chores he should do first. The grass won't cut itself, the kids can't drive themselves to practice, and the dinner fairy isn't going to leave a meal on the table. But barring these needs, I beseech you, as representative of the unsophisticated male creature who knows what it means to be entranced by a ball in flight, cut your man a little slack. Let him watch the ball fly around for a while. Let him participate in the tribal ceremony because it is, for him, drama of the highest order and a necessary evil of having the highly coveted Y- chromosome.

And when the game is over, he'll return to you fresh and invigorated. He will be grateful that you allowed him that simple excursion from his workaday grind, and he'll be ready to do whatever you ask of him. Unless, of course, there are a bunch of men on TV talking about sports, in which case you'll probably lose him again.

This is, of course, closely related to Doug Flutie Syndrome, wherein the player says "I threw a touchdown pass" but "we fumbled."  :w00t:

477762[/snapback]

I am just saying that I have let it cut into time that I now feel should be spent playing with my kids, working out, playing guitar, and talking with my wife rather than allowing it to become as obsession. If it was just Bills football every Sunday for 4 months, it would be doable, but I am so into every major sport that it is handicapping my life. :lol:

I am just saying that I have let it cut into time that I now feel should be spent playing with my kids, working out, playing guitar, and talking with my wife rather than allowing it to become as obsession.  If it was just Bills football every Sunday for 4 months, it would be doable, but I am so into every major sport that it is handicapping my life.  :w00t:

477831[/snapback]

Moderation is key...don't fear missing a few games. Football I can understand because its only 16 games.

A normal weekend for me is surrounded by sports. Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, etc. Usually it's watching 5-10 year olds play and cheer. Both my younglings are very involved with our rec programs. And honestly, I have more fun rooting them on to a win no one outside of the two gives two rolls of the dice about but to me it's very much about pride. So, yeah, I'm addicted. It's about love and in my rankings my kids & wife are number one and sports are number two, not much better of a combo. I'd be watching pro and college ball if it wasn't for my loves.

But, the key is that it's very rarely that I get the time to watch professional sports live. Thank god for DVR!!!

I will admit it, im addicted to sports.  Better to have this addiction than one to crack though :lol:  I go from football season, into hockey, NCAA basketball, into baseball.  Its all I watch on TV (besides ESPN).  My wife hates it, but as I told her it could be worse.  I could be at the bar getting bombed!    My moods also depend on whether or not my teams are winning.  Especially the Bills.  Those Gregg Williams year were tough, almost checked myself in!

477727[/snapback]

Jesus, I'm even worse off. I almost checked out during the GW years. :w00t:

Jesus, I'm even worse off.  I almost checked out during the GW years. :w00t:

477851[/snapback]

I think what happened for me was that I got even more interested after the GW years because the law of averages says that the will win one if we just keep throwing a good team out there every year.

I think what happened for me was that I got even more interested after the GW years because the law of averages says that the will win one if we just keep throwing a good team out there every year.

478159[/snapback]

And then there's the Milawakee Brewers to refute that theory. :blink:

I was the same way up until about 17 --- diehard, wear Bills clothing, feel down or even physically ill after a loss and feel good after a win. And then I just said, you know what? this is effing stupid. I like to watch sports, but it doesn't make up who I am, how I feel, etc.

Sports are a man's social tool; you don't call your buddy up to come over to try out a custard you're making (unless you're in the Not That There's Anything Wrong With That group). Sports on television is the modern version of Fire. You watch a game and it combines all of the things men have been born and become conditioned to be good at. Physical contact sport is a metaphor for war with the balls, clothing, etc as part of the tools of said war; how to win becomes an exercise in a problem-solving to create the best strategy. Then... there's beer!

Don't look at it as being anything more than it is and the illusion fades back to a healthy level.

I used to be. When I was in high school and college it seemed like almost all I was interested in. But as I got older and responsibility started creeping in it got less and less important in my life. My interest in sports also seemed to wain as the Bills and Notre Dame, my two favorite teams, became less successful. I guess some would call me a bandwagon fan for that, but it's just hard to maintain a diehard level of devotion when you're constantly disappointed.

I am just saying that I have let it cut into time that I now feel should be spent playing with my kids, working out, playing guitar,

477831[/snapback]

You're right in choosing to put your wife and kids ahead of watching sports, but c'mon man -- you gotta' make time for guitar. :blink: