Defense yesterday

lawnboy1977

What aspect of the D leaves a good, or bad impression on you after yesterday?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What aspect of the D leaves a good, or bad impression on you after yesterday?

• 5 turnovers
    • The big pass plays
    • Ronnie Brown gaining 97 yards

I'm glad we won, and its good to see the D getting turnovers, but you have to take the good with the bad in this case. Brown almost was the 4th straight Rb to gain 100 yards on us, and there were too many big plays given up by the pass D. Question is, who's fault is it?

I'm glad we won, and its good to see the D getting turnovers, but you have to take the good with the bad in this case.  Brown almost was the 4th straight Rb to gain 100 yards on us, and there were too many big plays given up by the pass D.  Question is, who's fault is it?

472171[/snapback]

The turnovers were nice but I'd really like to see them improve the run D. 97 yards doesn't look so bad...but the 5.7ypc that the Phins averaged is ridiculous.

I think this defensive philosophy is asking for trouble. This is a high-risk, high-reward, high-disaster defense, depending on the blitz to get heat on the QB, and on generating turnovers to compensate for giving up big plays. It worked fine in the second half of last season, but it's not working consistently this season.

In the second half yesterday, Gray was blitzing big time on second and third down to try to get heat on Ferrotte, and it did not work, giving up big pass plays and big running plays too. If not for the turnovers we lose this game big time.

I was screaming for them to stop blitzing in the fourth quarter. The only two sacks the Bills got were on the last two plays of the game, when they only rushed four and sent everyone else back to pass defend.

I would rather see them improve the run defense and be a lot more choosy about when to blitz.

I think you have to say the turnovers. Those are literally game saving plays and score-saving plays. Stats really are only a small picture, and for losers. The INT by McGee in the endzone is an enormous play. Obviously th nate caused fumble saved the gane. The defense gave up 14 points in a division win. All the yardage and stuff makes for great message board stuff but Ronnie Brown was kept out of the endzone and the Bills won.

I think this defensive philosophy is asking for trouble.  This is a high-risk, high-reward, high-disaster defense, depending on the blitz to get heat on the QB, and on generating turnovers to compensate for giving up big plays.  It worked fine in the second half of last season, but it's not working consistently this season.

472202[/snapback]

You are right. In honor of Jim Kelly the defense ought to be renamed the "Gamblers". The problem with most gamblers is that they do not know when to quit. When you have a OC who knows how to exploit it and weapons to expoit it, it looks terrible - see Pittsburgh game last year. It worked this time because Frerotte is vulnerable to not taking care of the ball.

I think this defensive philosophy is asking for trouble.  This is a high-risk, high-reward, high-disaster defense, depending on the blitz to get heat on the QB, and on generating turnovers to compensate for giving up big plays.  It worked fine in the second half of last season, but it's not working consistently this season.

In the second half yesterday, Gray was blitzing big time on second and third down to try to get heat on Ferrotte, and it did not work, giving up big pass plays and big running plays too.  If not for the turnovers we lose this game big time.

I was screaming for them to stop blitzing in the fourth quarter.  The only two sacks the Bills got were on the last two plays of the game, when they only rushed four and sent everyone else back to pass defend.

I would rather see them improve the run defense and be a lot more choosy about when to blitz.

472202[/snapback]

I total agree ....Gray is a river boat gambler with the blitz ,,he doesn't seem to know when to back off and play coverage ....the veteran qb's coming up in the next 6 games are going to make these guy's look like swiss cheese,,,,I wish it wasn't so but I just have no confidence in Gray...I would like to have seen the bills dump him and keep dick lebeau he's much more refinded in his use of the all out blitz ...he seems to know when to pull the trigger and when not too as was the case last night ....what an exciting game even with all the penalties......

What stays in my mind is that there appeared to be no stopping the Fins without a turnover on the last drive. Brown fumbled on the 13 yard line after a journeyman QB strolled down the field. I had a horrible feeling that we were going to lose that game.

Thankfully, the refs let the fumble play out and utilized the replay to check it. We have all seen that play blown dead and the runner called down, which makes the replay unviewable. Brown's knee was a LOT closer to being down than many other situations when it is blown dead. Kudos to the refs.