Holcomb, Bulger, Gannon, Delhomme, Maddox

Mr. T

What "might" they all have in common? The other 4 other than Holcomb are all quarterbacks that were considered back caliber QBs who when finally given a shot to play for a "Good" team proved they can play.

Bulger was Warner's backup. Gannon was a journeyman at best. Delhomme was New Orleans third string QB. Maddox was out of football altogether until the Steelers gave him a call when desparate.

I'm not annointing Holcomb to be the next Cinderella story but look at the facts. This is his first real shot he's been given. His time with the Colts was holding the clip board for one Payton Manning. His time with the Browns was time spent with one of the worst teams around, backing up another project QB that never worked out, Tim Couch. (I'm not saying JP falls into the category of Couch)

But Holcomb is 32 years old, has learned the game well, and is ready to play..NOW! He's not a project. Moulds, Evans, and probably a lot more players and coaches know this. If this team is going to do anything this year it has to have a QB that is ready to play. If Holcomb has a break out year like the others I mentioned earlier the Bills reap the benefits this time.

I'm a Bills fan, not a JP or Holcomb fan. When the Bills win that's all that matters.

What "might" they all have in common?  The other 4 other than Holcomb are all quarterbacks that were considered back caliber QBs who when finally given a shot to play for a "Good" team proved they can play.

Bulger was Warner's backup.  Gannon was a journeyman at best.  Delhomme was New Orleans third string QB.  Maddox was out of football altogether until the Steelers gave him a call when desparate.

I'm not annointing Holcomb to be the next Cinderella story but look at the facts.  This is his first real shot he's been given.  His time with the Colts was holding the clip board for one Payton Manning.  His time with the Browns was time spent with one of the worst teams around, backing up another project QB that never worked out, Tim Couch.  (I'm not saying JP falls into the category of Couch)

But Holcomb is 32 years old, has learned the game well, and is ready to play..NOW!  He's not a project.  Moulds, Evans, and probably a lot more players and coaches know this.  If this team is going to do anything this year it has to have a QB that is ready to play.  If Holcomb has a break out year like the others I mentioned earlier the Bills reap the benefits this time. 

I'm a Bills fan, not a JP or Holcomb fan.  When the Bills win that's all that matters.

471206[/snapback]

Good post...Kelly definitely has earned another shot, IMO.....I'd like to see what he can do with this offense. We have some nice weapons and he has the ability to use them.

GO BILLS

Good post...Kelly definitely has earned another shot, IMO.....I'd like to see what he can do with this offense. We have some nice weapons and he has the ability to use them.

GO BILLS

471208[/snapback]

I think leaders (see Moulds) recognize other leaders (see Holcomb). Hence the lobbying by Moulds et. al. I saw a segment in today's game where they showed Holcomb rallying the offense at the very beginning. It was inspiring. Who knew...?

I agree on both counts Mr. T, it is too early to annoint Kelly our savior..and its way too early to annoint JP a bust.

You can point to Eli Manning, Carson Palmer as the positive side of development and hope JP gets there. How JP handles this string of games that he sits--even if its the next 11 (and maybe the Playoffs -- PLAYOFFS in my best Jim Mora voice) will be interesting to watch. He now has to somewhat earn the job back instead of it being handed to him..a much different role.

Kelly is in the fold for 4 years...he is not one of those QB's who is going to see a huge skill detoriation as he gets older--he's not very fast, doesn't have the big arm--both of those things erode over time...he is smart, effective, productive...very different than any QB we have had in the past.

This roller coaster season may be headed back up the hill.....

I agree on both counts Mr. T, it is too early to annoint Kelly our savior..and its way too early to annoint JP a bust.

You can point to Eli Manning, Carson Palmer as the positive side of development and hope JP gets there.  How JP handles this string of games that he sits--even if its the next 11 (and maybe the Playoffs -- PLAYOFFS in my best Jim Mora voice) will be interesting to watch.  He now has to somewhat earn the job back instead of it being handed to him..a much different role.

Kelly is in the fold for 4 years...he is not one of those QB's who is going to see a huge skill detoriation as he gets older--he's not very fast, doesn't have the big arm--both of those things erode over time...he is smart, effective, productive...very different than any QB we have had in the past.

This roller coaster season may  be headed back up the hill.....

471242[/snapback]

Yeah, but we all know what happens after the coaster gets to the top of the hill.

I still think that Losman will be the future of the team- but if we can do something with Holcomb, then so be it.

471261[/snapback]

Kelly played pretty well, did some very nice things, and we won. I would have, however, liked to have seen JP play when we commit to the run, throw safe short passes, make 47 yard fg's, get five turnovers from the defense and a couple long KO returns at home against a mediocre team that ties a team record for most penalties against it. I think he could have got us 20 points, too.

What "might" they all have in common?  The other 4 other than Holcomb are all quarterbacks that were considered back caliber QBs who when finally given a shot to play for a "Good" team proved they can play.

Bulger was Warner's backup.  Gannon was a journeyman at best.  Delhomme was New Orleans third string QB.  Maddox was out of football altogether until the Steelers gave him a call when desparate.

I'm not annointing Holcomb to be the next Cinderella story but look at the facts.  This is his first real shot he's been given.  His time with the Colts was holding the clip board for one Payton Manning.  His time with the Browns was time spent with one of the worst teams around, backing up another project QB that never worked out, Tim Couch.  (I'm not saying JP falls into the category of Couch)

But Holcomb is 32 years old, has learned the game well, and is ready to play..NOW!  He's not a project.  Moulds, Evans, and probably a lot more players and coaches know this.  If this team is going to do anything this year it has to have a QB that is ready to play.  If Holcomb has a break out year like the others I mentioned earlier the Bills reap the benefits this time. 

I'm a Bills fan, not a JP or Holcomb fan.  When the Bills win that's all that matters.

471206[/snapback]

I'm all for it. But I think our problems go deeper than the QB position. JP was a rookie, regardless of what the media think of him, and it was ludicrous to expect playoff caliber performances this year.

However, once it's been determined that we are no longer a playoff team, then JP should start the remainder of the games and get him some experience that he can build on for next year.

Then, we should address both sides of the line.

Kelly played pretty well, did some very nice things, and we won. I would have, however, liked to have seen JP play when we commit to the run, throw safe short passes, make 47 yard fg's, get five turnovers from the defense and a couple long KO returns at home against a mediocre team that ties a team record for most penalties against it. I think he could have got us 20 points, too.

471264[/snapback]

Most that stuff happened in week 1 and we scored 22. I'm not discounting Kelly's play, he was very accurate, and moved the ball effectively especially in the first half. But he was also on the receiving end of the help you mentioned, and won't make enough of a difference if the Bills return to their form from weeks 2-4.

My two main concerns with Kelly at this point is can he throw downfield, and will he have the arm strength to be effective in the windy cold days the Ralph always has late in the year.

GO BILLS

471208[/snapback]

I agree. It sure seemed like he was more composed, more able to see open receivers, and in general, just more in command than we've seen JP lately. I was conflicted about the move, but I have to say at this point, we've got to see how this KH thing plays out. It seems a large part of being able to win gains is actually believing you can win games. I sensed that was starting to slip with JP, and perhaps the Bills can start getting that back with KH. I'm not writing off JP, he may well end up as a great future QB for us. For the present, it sure seems like they will stick with Holcomb. I can only hope that is for a long time, as that would only happen with lots of WINS!

I agree.  It sure seemed like he was more composed, more able to see open receivers, and in general, just more in command than we've seen JP lately.  I was conflicted about the move, but I have to say at this point, we've got to see how this KH thing plays out.  It seems a large part of being able to win gains is actually believing you can win games.  I sensed that was starting to slip with JP, and perhaps the Bills can start getting that back with KH.  I'm not writing off JP, he may well end up as a great future QB for us.  For the present, it sure seems like they will stick with Holcomb.  I can only hope that is for a long time, as that would only happen with lots of WINS!

471286[/snapback]

I was unsure how I felt about the switch too, in all honesty.....but after today, I'm glad they did it. I have high hopes that JP will be very good down the road, but it felt really good to have the 'W' today. I was a bit unnerved at how easily Holcomb lost the ball when he was sacked, though....he needs to be careful there.

By the way, thank you for getting that f'ing dolphin out of your avatar lol