BUffalo Rookie QB's

Bob Lamb

Just for giggles:

Here are the statistics for other Buffalo “rookie” quarterbacks in their first four games.

I’m not counting Jim Kelly or Doug Flutie because they were no rookies and Joe Ferguson played in a different time and place –

Todd Rob J.P.

Collins Johnson Losman

Attempts 142 87 94

Competitions 85 55 45

Comp. % 59.9 63.2 47.9

TD 7 5 1

INT 7 3 2

Team Rushing Yd. 426 426 522

QB Rushing Yd 28 125 107

Team Record 2-2 1-3 1-3

Also noted: Rob Johnson missed the second half of his first game

Thanks - very interesting.  And soboring.

The question suggests itself of how their supporting casts and time with the clipboard compared to his.

IMO they had far worse in the skill positions but somewhat better help on the OL.

470217[/snapback]

Coaching also. Remember the coaches those guys had were a little better then what we curenlt have had.

Coaching also.  Remember the coaches those guys had were a little better then what we curenlt have had.

470247[/snapback]

Yes, but that was too hard for me to address. Do you mean position coach in the sense of training them, or head coach in the sense of calling a game which will help them succeed?

I find it nearly impossible to judge how well a position coach teaches. We all hear how great Wyche is (and McNally for that matter) but do we really know?

It's more reasonable for us to assess how the coaches call the game and how that effects the qb performance, but even that will take (me at least) more time and distance before I feel good about having an opinion.

Yes, but that was too hard for me to address.  Do you mean position coach in the sense of training them, or head coach in the sense of calling a game which will help them succeed?

I find it nearly impossible to judge how well a position coach teaches.  We all hear how great Wyche is (and McNally for that matter) but do we really know?

It's more reasonable for us to assess how the coaches call the game and how that effects the qb performance,  but even that will take (me at least) more time and distance before I feel good about having an opinion.

470264[/snapback]

Wyche has been a successul head coach. He seems to get some credit for Esiasin and Montana, but I believe the two of them would have been outstanding regardless. Mcnally only gets the praise locally because he is about the "highest" profile coach from Buffalo. There are much more respected line coaches in the league. Russ Grimm from Pittsburgh as always had a huge national rep at Oline. Dennison has earned the rep as well. Mcnally was overhyped locally well because he was a local boy.

As far as head coach vs. position coaches, I believe that successful head coaches are that way because they have good position coaches, or they can control what they teach. I think this is why so many coordinators fail. Because they are good at one thing or maybe given credit for the headcoaches handling of them. Parcells, Walsh, etc... were outstanding at building head coaching assistants, on the otherhand, Marv didn't do a good job with this and it's obvious from their lack of success in HC spots.