Starting Holcomb does one thing

It basically wastes the Dolphins' preparation all of last (bye) week for JP, thinking they were going to face a green QB. Holcomb has experience and has had some good games, with some godawful teams, but his performance in relief the past few weeks has been pretty bad. Hopefully though, he's like Frank Reich, i.e. an excellent QB when he gets the starting reps in practice, but lousy off the bench. Again I don't like the move, but if it gets a "W," I can't complain too much, since that's the ultimate goal.

It basically wastes the Dolphins' preparation all of last (bye) week for JP, thinking they were going to face a green QB.  Holcomb has experience and has had some good games, with some godawful teams, but his performance in relief the past few weeks has been pretty bad.  Hopefully though, he's like Frank Reich, i.e. an excellent QB when he gets the starting reps in practice, but lousy off the bench.  Again I don't like the move, but if it gets a "W," I can't complain too much, since that's the ultimate goal.

468269[/snapback]

So you think Nick Saban was totally blindsided by this? You think he and the other Dolphins coaches watched JP's play over the first three weeks on film (and four through the start of this week) and figured that JP's a 100% lock to start in week 5 and prepared his team accordingly?

I think your viewpoint is exceedingly naive.

Now, if Wanny were still around, I might buy what you're selling.....

So you think Nick Saban was totally blindsided by this? You think he and the other Dolphins coaches watched JP's play over the first three weeks on film (and four through the start of this week) and figured that JP's a 100% lock to start in week 5 and prepared his team accordingly?

Do you think the Saints spent time gameplanning for Holcomb? Or is 3 bad games the typical number of games after which a QB gets yanked? If you think that Saban drew up a defensive gameplan focused mainly on Holcomb, you're living in a fantasy world. And even if he did, it's not like he has a lot of gamefilm to go from.

It basically wastes the Dolphins' preparation all of last (bye) week for JP, thinking they were going to face a green QB.  Holcomb has experience and has had some good games, with some godawful teams, but his performance in relief the past few weeks has been pretty bad.  Hopefully though, he's like Frank Reich, i.e. an excellent QB when he gets the starting reps in practice, but lousy off the bench.  Again I don't like the move, but if it gets a "W," I can't complain too much, since that's the ultimate goal.

468269[/snapback]

The ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl, not get a regular season win against the Dolphins. If that's the ultimate goal then everyone at One Bills Drive has morphed into George Steinbrenner, a man who never stops to look at the big picture after a loss.

Do you think the Saints spent time gameplanning for Holcomb?  Or is 3 bad games the typical number of games after which a QB gets yanked?  If you think that Saban drew up a defensive gameplan focused mainly on Holcomb, you're living in a fantasy world.  And even if he did, it's not like he has a lot of gamefilm to go from.

468290[/snapback]

Since most teams don't apply the game plan to Tuesday or Wednesday of game week, all the Dolphins really lost was a day or 2. They still have Thurs, Fri & Sat to prepare for Holcomb. If Saban is as good a coach as people give him credit for, that's plenty of time.

Now, if Wanny were still around, I might buy what you're selling.....

468283[/snapback]

i do ....i thnk saban was thinking surely he's not going to give up on the guy and flush his confidence down the toilet after 4 games, and only two road starts after winning the first game easy and being competitive in the last :unsure:

I think Saban game planned to stop the run.....stop McGahee,

make the Bills' offense one-dimensional. Whether Holcomb being the starter changes that philosophy.....I don't think so. Either QB's production is directly related to the ability of the defense to STOP the run.

I would hope the Fins' coaching staff spent the bye week studying the Bills' formations and tendencies rather than focusing on what the number was on the QB's jersey.

Now.....if that QB was Mike Vick and was replaced by Matt Schaub, than the coaching staff prolly wasted some time game-planning for the Michael Vick experience. Such as designating a "spy" safety or linebacker....

The ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl, not get a regular season win against the Dolphins.  If that's the ultimate goal then everyone at One Bills Drive has morphed into George Steinbrenner, a man who never stops to look at the big picture after a loss.

468291[/snapback]

I'm no fan of Steinbrenner, but I think it's apples and oranges here.

You can't get to a Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs. You don't make the playoffs by serving up 'W's to division rivals - You get there by forcing them to accept an L.

make the Bills' offense one-dimensional.  Whether Holcomb being the starter changes that philosophy.....I don't think so.  Either QB's production is directly related to the ability of the defense to STOP the run.

468313[/snapback]

Every oppenent should plan to stop our run. It's the only means we have of gathering positive yards. I'd sell out to stop our run and force our QB to make me pay for it. We haven't had a QB do that since the second quarter of Week 1.

Do you think the Saints spent time gameplanning for Holcomb?  Or is 3 bad games the typical number of games after which a QB gets yanked?  If you think that Saban drew up a defensive gameplan focused mainly on Holcomb, you're living in a fantasy world.  And even if he did, it's not like he has a lot of gamefilm to go from.

468290[/snapback]

A QB or any player could get yanked at any time if he's not performing. Obviously Saban is aware of that possibility and would have been in this instance when the player has not been productive. Every single coach in the league prepares for contingencies in the NFL - otherwise they have no chance. Your point is very silly.

I think it is pretty likely the Saints were ready for Holcomb, sure. If they didn't, then why didn't he cut through them like a hot knife through butter? The Saints, the Dolphins and 30 other teams in the NFL have gamefilm on every snap that Kelly Holcomb has taken in his last five years in the league. They knew how to adjust their defense and personnel to handle the different skills that Holcomb brings versus Losman. The same goes for Shane Matthews. You lack an understanding of just how much preparation goes into an NFL game. It is extensive. Teams get ready to play 45 guys, not 22 or 1.

I also love how I'm living in a fantasy world when you're attributing absurd thoughts about what I'm thinking that have no connection to what I have written. Did I say the Saints "focused mainly on Holcomb?" I didn't even mention the Saints in my post. :huh: Why argue with anyone rationally when you can just make up stuff that they're thinking and then refute it I suppose. Really makes for productive NFL talk. :unsure:

A QB or any player could get yanked at any time if he's not performing. Obviously Saban is aware of that possibility and would have been in this instance when the player has not been productive. Every single coach in the league prepares for contingencies in the NFL - otherwise they have no chance. Your point is very silly.

I think it is pretty likely the Saints were ready for Holcomb, sure. If they didn't, then why didn't he cut through them like a hot knife through butter? The Saints, the Dolphins and 30 other teams in the NFL have gamefilm on every snap that Kelly Holcomb has taken in his last five years in the league. They knew how to adjust their defense and personnel to handle the different skills that Holcomb brings versus Losman. The same goes for Shane Matthews. You lack an understanding of just how much preparation goes into an NFL game. It is extensive. Teams get ready to play 45 guys, not 22 or 1.

I also love how I'm living in a fantasy world when you're attributing absurd thoughts about what I'm thinking that have no connection to what I have written. Did I say the Saints "focused mainly on Holcomb?" I didn't even mention the Saints in my post.  :lol: Why argue with anyone rationally when you can just make up stuff that they're thinking and then refute it I suppose. Really makes for productive NFL talk.  :unsure:

You're obviously too simple to have gotten the gist of my Saints reference. To put it simply, in deference to you, do you think the Saints spent ANY time game-planning for Holcomb, seeing as how JP had 2 lousy games prior to that game? Or is 3 games the tried-and-true number of games after which a HC says to himself "you know, it's been 3 bad games. I bet they go with the backup so let's focus mainly on him?" :huh:

Again as I said, I doubt the Dols spent a lot of time preparing for Holcomb, and even if they did, it's not like they have much gamefilm on him, much less in the Bills' offense. But we can end this right now if you, or anyone else, can find a quote by any player, coach, or Dols sportswriter saying they expected, and planned for, this move. I'm sure the Dols know by now the Bills' plans to start Holcomb, and that some reporter has asked them about it, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. :o

You're obviously too simple to have gotten the gist of my Saints reference.  To put it simply, in deference to you, do you think the Saints spent ANY time game-planning for Holcomb, seeing as how JP had 2 lousy games prior to that game?  Or is 3 games the tried-and-true number of games after which a HC says to himself "you know, it's been 3 bad games.  I bet they go with the backup so let's focus mainly on him?" :unsure: 

Again as I said, I doubt the Dols spent a lot of time preparing for Holcomb, and even if they did, it's not like they have much gamefilm on him, much less in the Bills' offense.  But we can end this right now if you, or anyone else, can find a quote by any player, coach, or Dols sportswriter saying they expected, and planned for, this move.  I'm sure the Dols know by now the Bills' plans to start Holcomb, and that some reporter has asked them about it, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. :huh:

468336[/snapback]

Oh sure - I'm simple. :lol: As much as you'd like to think that being a Bills fan makes you super-smart, and that fans of the other 31 teams are morons, it really is, when you come down to it, a childish notion. This might be why other posters think you're 14 years old. You'd be well served to treat other people as individuals and not "group" them so arbitrarily.

Let's look at Saban's press conference quotes from Wednesday. Not today...Wednesday.

(On the possibility of seeing Kelly Holcombe and if he will go back to watching Cleveland film when looking at him) – “We looked at him last year when we were looking for free agent guys, so we saw a lot of what he did last year. They haven’t changed their offense significantly when he is in their (sic). There are some things that they don’t do, but they try to feature the athleticism of Losman when he is playing. Kelly is a smart, experienced quarterback. He is very capable of managing the game and doing what they need to do to have success. It is going to up to us to execute what we have to do to try to stop it. “

So, again, does this appear like a coach who wasn't prepared for Holcomb before the decision was made public today?

make the Bills' offense one-dimensional.  Whether Holcomb being the starter changes that philosophy.....I don't think so.  Either QB's production is directly related to the ability of the defense to STOP the run.

I would hope the Fins' coaching staff spent the bye week studying the Bills' formations and tendencies rather than  focusing on what the number was on the QB's jersey.

Now.....if that QB was Mike Vick and was replaced by Matt Schaub,  than the coaching staff prolly wasted some time game-planning for the Michael Vick experience.  Such as designating a "spy" safety or linebacker....

468313[/snapback]

vick and schaub play for atlanta

Oh sure - I'm simple.  :unsure: As much as you'd like to think that being a Bills fan makes you super-smart, and that fans of the other 31 teams are morons, it really is, when you come down to it, a childish notion. This might be why other posters think you're 14 years old. You'd be well served to treat other people as individuals and not "group" them so arbitrarily.

Sorry AT, I was only referring to YOU and YOU ALONE, not some "group" of Patsy fans who think I'm "14 years old." Feel free to not make yourself look like a huge hypocritical ass when you come to another team's message board and talk about who is naive, or more precisely, save it for when I come to the Pats board and profess how "super-smart" I am.

Let's look at Saban's press conference quotes from Wednesday. Not today...Wednesday.

So, again, does this appear like a coach who wasn't prepared for Holcomb before the decision was made public today?

Uh, the news that Holcomb was starting was more or less broken yesterday (Wednesday), hence the questions to that effect. I guess to you it sounded like he spent a good amount of time gameplanning for Holcomb, because he didn't ball-up in the fetal position and cry at the news. Maybe they spent a little time gameplanning nad maybe even practicing plays for him, but it still throws a major wrench in the works and negates a good portion of the extra week of time they got. And I'm sure if you asked Saban what he truly felt, that he'd rather face Losman than Holcomb.

The game plan will not change...Stop the run and blitz the qb one's young and green the other not to mobile.... I fail to see a need to change the game plan with this OL it doesn't matter... if you stop the run cold the passer is there for the taking...just ask saban

The game plan will not change...Stop the run and blitz the qb one's young and green the other not to mobile.... I fail to see a need to change the game plan with this OL it doesn't matter... if you stop the run cold the passer is there for the taking...just ask saban

Easier said than done. With Losman, once you stopped the run (IF you stopped the run), you could more or less count on his inexperience to assure that he probably wouldn't beat the blitz, especially with the way he's played the past 3 weeks. Not so with Holcomb. And ask Saban what happened in Jersey in week 2. Outside of the oppressive heat and humidity, not to mention crowd noise, of Miami, they're a different team.

Sorry AT, I was only referring to YOU and YOU ALONE, not some "group" of Patsy fans who think I'm "14 years old."  Feel free to not make yourself look like a huge hypocritical ass when you come to another team's message board and talk about who is naive, or more precisely, save it for when I come to the Pats board and profess how "super-smart" I am.

I think there is a marked difference between Pats fans who come here to gloat and ones like myself who come here because the quality of NFL discussion can be quite good and wish to participate. I furthermore don't think you comprehend that difference. Posters like McBride, KTFABD, Lori, Tuesday, BINYC, (and many, many others) etc. are interesting to read and talk to to see what their perspective is on the Bills and the NFL in general. I very much respect that they are passionate fans of the Bills and intelligent people, and this is why I joined this site. I think Scott does a terrific job.

You I have less respect for because you are antagonistic and because you make posts that should not be left unchallenged because they are so far off base from reality. I called your post naive because I think it truly is - the idea that the Dolphins had no idea Holcomb might start this week and that their gameplan was rewritten and that would be an advantage is preposterous.

Uh, the news that Holcomb was starting was more or less broken yesterday (Wednesday), hence the questions to that effect.

Right, which is why you told Coach Tuesday on Wednesday evening after said press conference....

Holcomb will NOT start Sunday. Mularkey pulled JP from his usual Wednesday press conference because he didn't want JP potentially blowing-up Ryan Leaf-style after the 20th question about how it would feel to be demoted/how it felt to me benched the last 2 games/how hard is it to lose/etc. Mularkey said that nothing has changed since Sunday, when he said JP would remain the starter.

Naturally, no apology from you for being 100% wrong despite having been boldly insistent to the contrary. Instead, yesterday's mistake becomes today's argument. Tough to respect, man.

And I'm sure if you asked Saban what he truly felt, that he'd rather face Losman than Holcomb.

468403[/snapback]

You have no idea what Nick Saban personally thinks about either guy, just like you had no idea what the real reason was that Mularkey pulled JP from the press conference in the quote above. It's wanton speculation with nothing behind it.