AJ Smith

I know people will disagree, but I would have loved to see Schottenheimer (sp?) as coach of the Bills.....Antonio Gates wouldn't hurt, either.

Yeah, maybe we should have tanked more seasons so we too could have had three top picks to play with...then we could have spent them all on QB too...

One whiff of the playoffs after teasing the folks with fast starts (remember 2001?)...that's significantly better than where we're at? Last year they went to the playoffs by beating one playoff team (they split with Denver). We beat 3 (split with Jets, beat St. Louis and Seattle). Effectively, we did the same when it came to battling with "true" playoff teams (except they lost their first playoff game to, of all teams, the Jets!).

I know people will disagree, but I would have loved to see Schottenheimer (sp?)

464131[/snapback]

I don't think ANYONE would disagree after this past week's coaching performance.

Also, it doesn't hurt having the best back in football, LT and one of the real upcoming QB's, in Drew Brees. AJ Smith has done a wonderful job putting together one of the better teams in the AFC. Solid offense, solid defense and good drafting. Can't beat that.

I called it all last week, telling my buddies that the Chargers were going to beat the Pats just because I was convinced after watching LT on Sunday Night football. That was unreal. That team had picked itself back up from 2 CLOSE losses that they couldve easily won. They were a confident team going into New England. Plus, the Pats just don't appear to be the same team with all of these injuries. They barely beat the Steelers who looked awful in their own stadium. I think the Chargers stand a good chance to beat the Steelers next Monday the way they are playing.

I don't think ANYONE would disagree after this past week's coaching performance.

Also, it doesn't hurt having the best back in football, LT and one of the real upcoming QB's, in Drew Brees. AJ Smith has done a wonderful job putting together one of the better teams in the AFC. Solid offense, solid defense and good drafting. Can't beat that.

I called it all last week, telling my buddies that the Chargers were going to beat the Pats just because I was convinced after watching LT on Sunday Night football. That was unreal. That team had picked itself back up from 2 CLOSE losses that they couldve easily won. They were a confident team going into New England. Plus, the Pats just don't appear to be the same team with all of these injuries. They barely beat the Steelers who looked awful in their own stadium. I think the Chargers stand a good chance to beat the Steelers next Monday the way they are playing.

464139[/snapback]

That was such a pimp move. Vick for LT and Brees. Damn that was pimp.

Yeah, maybe we should have tanked more seasons so we too could have had  three top picks to play with...then we could have spent them all on QB too...

One whiff of the playoffs after teasing the folks with fast starts (remember 2001?)...that's significantly better than where we're at?  Last year they went to the playoffs by beating one playoff team (they split with Denver).  We beat 3 (split with Jets, beat St. Louis and Seattle).  Effectively, we did the same when it came to battling with "true" playoff teams (except they lost their first playoff game to, of all teams, the Jets!).

464136[/snapback]

Yes it is significantly better. And please....Seattle and SL only made the playoffs because of the division and the NFC. And please don't talk about schedule......because our schedule was a joke. Not that anyone can control that since it's pre-set, but still.

San Diego had the worst O-line in pro football when JB and AJ got there. That is now fixed. They have some great trade bait in Phillip Rivers or Drew Brees. They have awesome skill people and an improving defense.

They play a BRUTAL schedule this year. If they can get through it, they are probably the 2nd best team in the AFC behind Indy this season and still rising. SD's roster is pretty damn exciting if you ask me, and should stay that way for a few years.

Significantly better? By a mile. I miss the ole Buffalo Bills braintrust. Oh, but wait, can everyone tell me again how we not only have the best GM in TD, but also the 2nd best in Modrak. Hmmmmmmmm.

I was hoping that Ralph would have hired AJ to be the GM. Remember when Ralph fired JB, AJ stayed around for 1 year under TD, then left to join JB in SD when Donahoe brought in Modrak.

AJ Smith was the real assessor of talent when he was with the Bills. The man knows how to draft. He knows how to build a quality football team.

I do not care if SD played a weak schedule or not, they went 12-4 last season, and are playing good football.

I love it when someone says it is nice to stuck and get top picks. We sucked and traded away our picks. We went 3-13, 5-11, 8-8 and 9-7, we should of had some good picks along the way.

I was hoping that Ralph would have hired AJ to be the GM.  Remember when Ralph fired JB, AJ stayed around for 1 year under TD, then left to join JB in SD when Donahoe brought in Modrak.

AJ Smith was the real assessor of talent when he was with the Bills.  The man knows how to draft.  He knows how to build a quality football team.

I do not care if SD played a weak schedule or not, they went 12-4 last season, and are playing good football.

I love it when someone says it is nice to stuck and get top picks.  We sucked and traded away our picks.  We went 3-13, 5-11, 8-8 and 9-7, we should of had some good picks along the way.

464300[/snapback]

Yeah, but hey we have Modrak and TD....both. Laughable. Not saying that TD hasn't made some moves that we liked at the time, because he did. However, nothing he is doing is working. Modrak can't get a job to save his life, but yet, he's so good.

The job AJ has done in SD speaks for itself. I miss him. Yet another reason to think back and realize just how good we actually were as an organization for the better part of a decade. Top to bottom, from front office to players.

Wow.

John and AJ (John started it for them, RIP)

TD

4 years, 4 games

Two ex-Bills - 1 Pittsburgh reject

Any comments on where they are and where we are?

464118[/snapback]

Picking in the top five 2 or 3 times doesn't hurt either. A QB and a RB. SD is good, but they've done their fair share of sucking, and burned through a coach.

I was hoping that Ralph would have hired AJ to be the GM.  Remember when Ralph fired JB, AJ stayed around for 1 year under TD, then left to join JB in SD when Donahoe brought in Modrak.

464300[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken, AJ took a pretty good shot at Ralph on his way out the door. No way he'd be welcomed back at OBD.

I am becoming more and more convinced that the over-riding common theme among successful franchises in NFL recently is luck. Most NFL organizations, the Bills included, are run well. The difference between consistently winning and losing in the NFL is a Tom Brady, Donavan McNabb, or Peyton Manning. Getting those guys on your team requires luck.

Picking in the top five 2 or 3 times doesn't hurt either. A QB and a RB. SD is good, but they've done their fair share of sucking, and burned through a coach.

464310[/snapback]

Yeah, it all depends on how you think you should be built I guess. Some teams take impact players, and some take Right Tackles.

IMO, if Butler were still alive, Smith wouldn't have had a shot at a GM postion after what he did with the Cards.  Great pro personnel guy, but marginal GM. 

Hey, everybody's down on TD but trading a dollar for a buck doesn't do much good...

464315[/snapback]

So, he's marginal in SD?

Personally I don't think I could have withstood the barrage of criticisms this board would have heaped on Drew Brees for two full years about how much he sucked and how AJ was a moron for trading away Mickael Vick who was in the playoffs already and Drew Brees is a worthless piece of crap bust of a draft pick and they better start Rivers immediately. I have a thick skin and I still probably couldnt have withstanded having to hear how crappy Brees was. And you guys won't give Losman five games.

In my opinion, yes.  He's had one successful regular season in SD and his playoff record is no better than TD's (0 wins).

464355[/snapback]

Wait, let me ask this. I can't leave it at that.

They have solidified the QB spot in SD after one year of Flutie. They also have excellent trade bait with Philip Rivers.

They took the worst line in pro football and made it one of the best.

They went out and got Brees help with even guys that no one wanted to pay like McCardell and others. They admitted mistakes and got rid of or let go guys like M. Wiley.

They have drafted some studs. They are also built to be a pretty balanced attack. Now, just like the 87 Bills, they will start to build their playoff record.

They also got an experienced head coach.

Now, take us.

Our O-line still sucks. We took a Right Tackle that hasn't had a huge impact.

Our QB situation is still a mess.

We haven't been in the playoffs.

2nd go around with inexperienced coaching.

TD has signed some good players like Spikes and Adams. But most of these other big name guys who we have plucked from other teams....I think we are starting to realize why they were let go by good organizations like Milloy fromt he Pats and Vincent from the Eagles.

AJ and TD have been night and day, IMO.

Personally I don't think I could have withstood the barrage of criticisms this board would have heaped on Drew Brees for two full years about how much he sucked and how AJ was a moron for trading away Mickael Vick who was in the playoffs already and Drew Brees is a worthless piece of crap bust of a draft pick and they better start Rivers immediately. I have a thick skin and I still probably couldnt have withstanded having to hear how crappy Brees was. And you guys won't give Losman five games.

464381[/snapback]

I would give Losman a full year. However.....the way this team was built, with an aging, contracts about to expire defense, I don't think this was the right time to hand over a veteran laden team to a rookie QB.

We have good WR's. A good RB. And a defense, while over-rated by most Bills fans, is still a good one.

So, my question is.....why would turn over this type of team to a rookie (essentially) QB without a competition for his job?