And why would you punt with 5 minutes

That was the icing on the cake.  They needed two scores to win the game.  You punt when you have a good defense AND Jim Kelly at qb.  DUMB.

461971[/snapback]

I wondered this as well. Did MM actually think we would stop them 3 and out the way our D was playing all day? And if he did, did he actually think we'd follow that up with a quick score, an onside kick and then another score? C'mon mike. Pathetic. PATHETIC. See - this was a decision that hasn't gotten a lot of attention because of the horrific playcalling and the overall bad play by the team. Just awful and depressing.

That was the icing on the cake.  They needed two scores to win the game.  You punt when you have a good defense AND Jim Kelly at qb.  DUMB.

461971[/snapback]

That was Meathead sending up the white flag.

I wondered this as well. Did MM actually think we would stop them 3 and out the way our D was playing all day? And if he did, did he actually think we'd follow that up with a quick score, an onside kick and then another score? C'mon mike. Pathetic. PATHETIC. See - this was a decision that hasn't gotten a lot of attention because of the horrific playcalling and the overall bad play by the team.  Just awful and depressing.

462051[/snapback]

Come on now.. Holcomb was in at QB. With our solid defense and Kelly in at QB it seemed likely the Bills would get the ball back twice and take the lead....

it was over when Holcomb was in the game..

errrr...... beginning of 4th quarter is when holcomb came in. it was over then? laughable.

way to send a message to your team; "you suck so we'll just punt and lose respectfully"

462064[/snapback]

Yep it was over then.

That's one of my big issues. When he decided to send in the punting unit, I said, "time to go, this one's over. They've given up."

Absolutely horrendous. No way that defense stops them twice, much less we score twice.

I was pretty ticked as well when he decided to punt. The thing is, that was MM showing that he had no faith in either QB to move the ball. Even if Holcomb had made the 1st down (pretty unlikely considering what had been going on the previous couple of series), I don't think MM thought that he could get the ball moved down field in any reasonably efficient manner. Remember, Holcomb still needed to lead 2 scoring drives.

While it was an extremely long shot that the D would hold NO 3 and out, he did have 2 prayers left after Moorman made an excellent punt. The 1st was Aaron Brooks has had a tendency to play, shall we say, erratically in pressure situations in the past. If Brooks fumbles or has a mental meltdown and goes into the endzone on a sack, then the O only needs a score to either win or tie (depending upon how many points Brooks gives the Bills).

The other prayer was that, assuming the Bills held NO, Clements or Smith could run the punt back. Then, if the Bills get an onsides kick, again they only need 1 score to win.

While the likelihood of either occuring, especially with the way the D has played in the 4th quarter of the last 2 games, were extremely slim, it looks to me like MM thought they gave him a better chance than a reasonably long 4th down attempt. That MM had no faith in the O at this point of the game is roughly as troubling to me as the horrid play of the D on 3rd down and in the 4th Q.

Dave.

461971[/snapback]

Equally, why would you NOT punt from the 50 or so, down by only 6 with 11 minutes to go???

That was a terrible decision IMO, regardless of the play that was called to attempt the conversion.

I was pretty ticked as well when he decided to punt.  The thing is, that was MM showing that he had no faith in either QB to move the ball. ......

462079[/snapback]

Well, neither QB could move the ball. I presume he thought special teams or the defense might get a turn over....but the offense was not going to move the ball 60 yds down the field in the fourth quarter.

MM is not a good coach.

Plain and simple reason as to why we punted. He has a guy averagin 6 yards a carry, but the !@#$ing moron decides to go to the air all game with a QB who is struggling. MM is not and NFL caliber coach.

462103[/snapback]

maybe he can call andy reid for some more advice or something.

I can understand struggling with a near rookie qb for the early part of the season, but based on what I have seen from our coaching staff after 4 games, I am not too optimistic about the rest of the season.

They have packed in the season already.

MM is not a good coach.

Plain and simple reason as to why we punted. He has a guy averagin 6 yards a carry, but the !@#$ing moron decides to go to the air all game with a QB who is struggling. MM is not and NFL caliber coach.

462103[/snapback]

Maybe Mike Mularkey is the reincarnation of Greg Williams too! That was definitely a GW move.

MM is not a good coach.

462103[/snapback]

Was MM a good coach last year when we went from 0-4 to 9-7? I admit that they have made some bonehead decisions this year, but I don't think you all of a sudden stop being a good coach.

We had a good run last year, but all the breaks were going our way. That has a way of masking poor coaching. Our last three losses have been close games that we could have won, but did not because of two things. No breaks, one example being the McGee kickoff return and poor coaching, example, punting down by two scores with 5 minutes to go.