Maybe keeping Bledsoe would have been better?

firstngoal

I was all for the dumping of Drew Bledsoe because he couldn't even get out of his own way...but...after watching the first 3 weeks of action I think for a team standpoint of having a better chance to win this season Bledsoe was the choice...Losman is a long way from being ready to lead this team into the promised land and although I doubted if Bledsoe could take us anywhere he was at least a decent long ball thrower who would have taken advantage of the falcons beaten up secondary yesterday if he had time to throw the ball...I'm now starting to think the Bills should have concentrated more on building that O-Line up and given Bledsoe one more shot this season.

455310[/snapback]

Should this even be brought up? What good does it do us? The QB was never the problem!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was all for dumping Drew Bledsoe because everyone else wanted to. Now I want to see the team bench Losman after three games because I don't know anything about football. Hopefully after Holcomb has one bad game, they'll sign Jeff George, because he has experience, and hell, I've heard of him!

There is no question Bledsoe can throw a deep ball. The problem is he can't move AT ALL. He will crumble like blue cheese over a salad by the end of the year. :devil:

455428[/snapback]

I think you are missing the point that Pete was making (and I happen to agree with) that it seems TD is a bit obsessed with finding bargain players who will play great, and make him look smart. However, this approach has been failing pretty miserably with the offensive line. Dallas' O-line looks better right now than ours ever did while Bledsoe was here. Maybe a serious O-line upgrade would have made everyone look better.

That being said, Losman is our guy now, for better or worse. For all his scrambling ability that was supposed to make him such an upgrade over DB, it hasn't paid off any dividends, in the stats, on the scoreboard, or in the enjoyment of wathching of the games. In fact, the last two weeks have been fairly excruciating, on both sides of the ball...at this point, sticking with Losman is likely, but I wouldn't object if they put the other guy in. JP just looks completely overwhelmed at this point.

He did pretty well the first week, but even then, was not put in any position where he had to do anything other than throw short passes. He didn't have to really do a lot of reading of the defense. More than anything, yesterdays game, illustrated that he needs a ton of work in that area. I actually thought the O-line protected him well at times, he simply couldn't read the plays, and consistantly scanned the field, and threw to the guy who was most covered, when he had guys open in other areas. I wasn't expecting perfection from JP, nobody was, but I honestly baught into the hype, and thought he would be able to keep us in games. I think we are losing them, because of him, at this point. Sure, the defense has played poorly, but both of these last two games were still winnable very late in the games. JP just couldn't make anything close to a play.

I think you are missing the point that Pete was making (and I happen to agree with) that it seems TD is a bit obsessed with finding bargain players who will play great, and make him look smart.  However, this approach has been failing pretty miserably with the offensive line.  Dallas' O-line looks better right now than ours ever did while Bledsoe was here.  Maybe a serious O-line upgrade would have made everyone look better. 

That being said, Losman is our guy now, for better or worse.  For all his scrambling ability that was supposed to make him such an upgrade over DB, it hasn't paid off any dividends, in the stats, on the scoreboard, or in the enjoyment of wathching of the games.  In fact, the last two weeks have been fairly excruciating, on both sides of the ball...at this point, sticking with Losman is likely, but I wouldn't object if they put the other guy in.  JP just looks completely overwhelmed at this point. 

He did pretty well the first week, but even then, was not put in any position where he had to do anything other than throw short passes.  He didn't have to really do a lot of reading of the defense.  More than anything, yesterdays game, illustrated that he needs a ton of work in that area. I actually thought the O-line protected him well at times, he simply couldn't read the plays, and consistantly scanned the field, and threw to the guy who was most covered, when he had guys open in other areas.  I wasn't expecting perfection from JP, nobody was, but I honestly baught into the hype, and thought he would be able to keep us in games.  I think we are losing them, because of him, at this point.  Sure, the defense has played poorly, but both of these last two games were still winnable very late in the games.  JP just couldn't make anything close to a play.

455893[/snapback]

Parcells would be 2-1 with Losman also

JP just couldn't make anything close to a play.

455893[/snapback]

And that's the situation in a nutshell. Whether it's because he's afraid of the pressure from the poor pass blocking or because the game is faster than he was expecting, he hasn't made a single play in two weeks. We're not even talking about a "big play" here, we're talking about a regular old play.

I'm worried about the Saints game, mainly because it's their first game in their "new" home and I bet they'll be pumped up... It won't be an easy win.

CW

I was all for the dumping of Drew Bledsoe because he couldn't even get out of his own way...but...after watching the first 3 weeks of action I think for a team standpoint of having a better chance to win this season Bledsoe was the choice...Losman is a long way from being ready to lead this team into the promised land and although I doubted if Bledsoe could take us anywhere he was at least a decent long ball thrower who would have taken advantage of the falcons beaten up secondary yesterday if he had time to throw the ball...I'm now starting to think the Bills should have concentrated more on building that O-Line up and given Bledsoe one more shot this season.

455310[/snapback]

Bledsoe was as good as anyone when he had time to throw last season which wasn't all that often. This year I think he would have been more frusturated than last year.

I'm worried about the Saints game, mainly because it's their first game in their "new" home and I bet they'll be pumped up...  It won't be an easy win.

CW

455899[/snapback]

Me too! I just paid a $100 for a ticket....I hope it does not turn out to be another long afternoon.... :devil:

Good post.. why would the Bills want to develop a QB that can lead this team for the next 10 years.

Why would they want to draft a QB with talent and give him a chance to grow and lean and function in an NFL offense.

Yikes.. I'm getting fed up with all of this crap!

Good post.. why would the Bills want to develop a QB that can lead this team for the next 10 years. 

Why would they want to draft a QB with talent and give him a chance to grow and lean and function in an NFL offense.

Yikes.. I'm getting fed up with all of this crap!

456120[/snapback]

It's nice to know that all you need to do to develop a QB to lead the team for a decade is draft some guy and play him.

Sometimes you draft a guy and he's not ready. Sometimes he'll never be ready. Life has to go on. Just because you drafted him doesn't mean you should stake everything on him for 4 years.

That's the strategy that forged the Bengals over the past two decades.

It's nice to know that all you need to do to develop a QB to lead the team for a decade is draft some guy and play him. 

Sometimes you draft a guy and he's not ready.  Sometimes he'll never be ready.  Life has to go on.  Just because you drafted him doesn't mean you should stake everything on him for 4 years.

That's the strategy that forged the Bengals over the past two decades.

456132[/snapback]

I am not saying stick with him for four years.. But I would like to see the fans to stick with JP for 4 games! But i guess that is too much to ask.

I am not saying stick with him for four years.. But I would like to see the fans to stick with JP for 4 games!  But i guess that is too much to ask.

456140[/snapback]

My only point (hardly new) is that you don't need to be a starter to get ready. Brady and Pennington didn't learn on the job. They were drafted, and they sat for 2 years. One got his shot due to injury and the other convinced the coaching staff in practice that he was ready. Neither became starter as an investment in the future.

456120[/snapback]

Possibly because we have seen this movie 3 times over the last 8 seasons (Todd Collins era, Rob Johnson era, and Drew Bledsoe era), and we know how it ends?

:o

455310[/snapback]

When will you people in Buffalo realize that Drew Bledsoe was not your problem. He was the one thing that could have taken the Bills to the show. As Parcells said, "It is was it is". Bledsoe is a pocket passing q.b. Give him the protection and weapons to use, and you go to the show. Watching a kid with "athletic ability" running around in circles is not my idea of a field general. Unfortunatley, the fans in Buffalo have been steered in the wrong direction. I hate to see the Bills like this but I can take some satisfaction in watching my man Bledsoe winning in Dallas.