Passing on 3rd and 1

Kelly the Dog

If you are truly good, you can run for that yard, even when the other team knows its coming right at them. Just like we were doing at the end of the game before Villariel's penalty.

The question is are we good enough to do that with 4 downs from the three yard line? I would like to think so and wish we would have tried.

I think the bad call was having TH in there running instead of Willis.

Not sure why that was, but if it was to avoid hurting TH's feelings,

that's really messed up.

32064[/snapback]

I'm sorry but Henry has had double digit TD's two straight seasons...He has NO problem finding the endzone....While Mcgahee has had success vs teams preseason 2nd Squads, he still hasnt shown enough to get the goalline plays....

I'm sorry i still go with Henry on the goalline...

I had no problem with the 3rd down pass even though im the kind of guy that says if you get down there you pound it in....i still had no problem with it...

The problem i had was seeing TH run up the gut twice....If you watch last years game he scored TWICE of tackle and ONCE up the gut....I would of liked to see one run off tackle, exploit there average DE's on the goalline

Don't listen to SDS, he's crazier than a shithouse rat.

32071[/snapback]

Just how crazy is a shithouse rat anyway and why is he crazy??

You know, it always easy to second-guess people who are paid for their expereince and expertise in a particular field.

The fact is, we ran the first two plays and ended up witrh two yards. If we are so damn good running the ball, I would think we should have scored on one of those plays. On third down, they expected us to run it again, as evidenced by the fact that had the line completely stacked.

In hindsight, they had a couple of guys in the right place at the right time. They also had nine others stacked to stuff another off-tackle running play. A pitch to the outside might have been a decent alternative, but Jax played the few pitches we tried during the game really well.

I have said this before and I'll say it again, it will take a little time for this offense, and I include the rookie OC who is play-calling for the first time, to recognize the best plays, formations and personnel for this team in different situations. I hate seeing the Bills take losses while this offense matures, especially when they had it won, but that is just the reality of a new OC who is calling plays for the first time and a brand new offense.

My feelings exactly, Rico.  Willis showed a knack for getting in the endzone from inside the 5 during the preseason.  They should have tried him at least once maybe even twice if they went for it if it was 4th and 1.

32078[/snapback]

Too bad we couldn't go for it on 4th as the coaches intended because the sack moved us too far back.

Just how crazy is a shithouse rat anyway and why is he crazy??

You know, it always easy to second-guess people who are paid for their expereince and expertise in a particular field.

The fact is, we ran the first two plays and ended up witrh two yards.  If we are so damn good running the ball, I would think we should have scored on one of those plays.  On third down, they expected us to run it again, as evidenced by the fact that had the line completely stacked.

32551[/snapback]

Maybe they had the line stacked because the Bills lined up ALL of all players within 3 yards of the ball.

why not spread them out, then run it.

Or run the play action away from the only possible receiver so the defenders coming to stuff the run don't get a free shot at Drew.

I have said this before and I'll say it again, it will take a little time for this offense, and I include the rookie OC who is play-calling for the first time, to recognize the best plays, formations and personnel for this team in different situations.  I hate seeing the Bills take losses while this offense matures, especially when they had it won, but that is just the reality of a new OC who is calling plays for the first time and a brand new offense.

32551[/snapback]

Blaming the bad goal line play on an inexperienced OC sounds like something from the Bledsoe Excuse Generator.

You're seriously deluded if you think TC made those calls on his own without input from both Wyche and MM, 2 experienced OCs.

So what's the timetable for the maturation of this offense - 2 games, 6 games, 2 years?

Inquiring minds want to know

Blaming the bad goal line play on an inexperienced OC sounds like something from the Bledsoe Excuse Generator.

You're seriously deluded if you think TC made those calls on his own without input from both Wyche and MM, 2 experienced OCs.

So what's the timetable for the maturation of this offense - 2 games, 6 games, 2 years?

32686[/snapback]

Whatever it is I'm sure it will be too long for you B)

32686[/snapback]

Keep trying Obie, you might make some headway at some point.

I didn't blame anybody, though I know you are dying to blame Drew. There are obviously many factors as to why that particular play didn't work, including that the Jags defensed it well. I never cited a specific explanation for the failure of this particular play, but nice try anyway!

Of course there were many alternatives to the formation used, the play run etc. I'm pretty sure even those wise former OC's were at least semi aware of that fact, although apparently they could have really used your expertise on the sideline Sunday. As I said, they called a play they hadn't run before against live bullets and it didn't work. But just because it didn't work doesn't mean they are inept, or that the players are inept. It might just mean they needed to see it run under certain circumstances where they thought it should work and didn't, work out the kinks or even abandon it.

And as for my serious delusion (one which I certainly never manifested in any thing I posted)), how much time do you think these guys have to confer on the sideline before sending in the play? I think you're seriously deluded if you think there was a three person meeting before that play got called. I'm sure that they were all involved with choosing plays as possibilties for various scenarios in gameplanning. I seriously doubt there was much of that going on in the 10-20 seconds they have between plays.

As for the time it is going to take for that maturation to take place, what am I, psychic or something? All I said is that it needs to happen and it is understandable. I also certainly stated that it sucks but that's the way it is. Obviously, the sooner the better. How quickly will be some measure of the efficacy of this coaching staff and the quality the players.

Answer: b ) what. Because passing on third and one is not a bad call. Every good and great team in the history of modern football passes on 3rd and 1 at times. As SDS reminded me at the game, the very best time is at the goalline. If you watch football at all, you will see dozens and dozens of 3rd and 1 passes from the goalline throughout the year.

If you want to play the blame game, and say that all calls that work are good calls and all calls that don't work are bad calls, that is fine. But please do not cross over to the other equation that a 3rd and 1 pass is a terrible call because of the Killdrive Syndrome of always passing on 3rd and 1 or 2 or 3 because that's just wrong. Always running on 3rd and 1 is just as stupid as always passing on 3rd and 1. So if you're arguing that the play-call on 3rd and 1 which Drew got the sack was just bad play-calling because you never do that, you're as clueless as Killdrive.

The only argument that is fair is that in this particular case we should have run up the gut four straight plays and pounded it in. That is a very fair argument, and may be true, but it is a judgment argument, and a strategy argument, and there is no right or wrong answer to it. It may not have worked either, as Jax has perhaps the best short run defense in the league. One of them for sure.

When you're a running team, which we displayed throughout the game, and had successfully run on 3rd and short earlier, play-action on 3rd and 1 is a solid and often an excellent call. We were 50% on 3rd down pick-ups throughout the game. This time it just didn't work.

32054[/snapback]

It was a bad call because it was part of an 3 play exercise in lack of imagination.

Given the context, it was wrong, wrong, wrong. Call 4 runs and if the Bills don't score they don't deserve to win.

Answer: b ) what. Because passing on third and one is not a bad call. Every good and great team in the history of modern football passes on 3rd and 1 at times. As SDS reminded me at the game, the very best time is at the goalline. If you watch football at all, you will see dozens and dozens of 3rd and 1 passes from the goalline throughout the year.

If you want to play the blame game, and say that all calls that work are good calls and all calls that don't work are bad calls, that is fine. But please do not cross over to the other equation that a 3rd and 1 pass is a terrible call because of the Killdrive Syndrome of always passing on 3rd and 1 or 2 or 3 because that's just wrong. Always running on 3rd and 1 is just as stupid as always passing on 3rd and 1. So if you're arguing that the play-call on 3rd and 1 which Drew got the sack was just bad play-calling because you never do that, you're as clueless as Killdrive.

The only argument that is fair is that in this particular case we should have run up the gut four straight plays and pounded it in. That is a very fair argument, and may be true, but it is a judgment argument, and a strategy argument, and there is no right or wrong answer to it. It may not have worked either, as Jax has perhaps the best short run defense in the league. One of them for sure.

When you're a running team, which we displayed throughout the game, and had successfully run on 3rd and short earlier, play-action on 3rd and 1 is a solid and often an excellent call. We were 50% on 3rd down pick-ups throughout the game. This time it just didn't work.

32054[/snapback]

I think it should have been up the gut 4 times although my up the gut Also includes maybe a pitch to the outside . bottom line 4 times up the middle=TOUCHDOWN BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

If I was the offensive coordinator, I would have called four straight running plays. But just because Clements did it differently doesn't make his calls worse than mine. Nor does he deserve to be compared to Gilbride. Had Gilbride been given first and goal at the 3, he would have called three straight passes. And yet all the sportswriters complain about not running enough because Clements called 2 runs and a pass.