Keys to the game

d_wag

Buffalo offense:

1) keep 8 out of the box -- this will not happen until losman hits some targets, over the middle and down the sidelines......a deep shot early on the first drive would go a long way to backing off the safeties....their secondary is hurting and needs to be challenged......just stay away from hall....

2) establish the outside run -- falcons defense is not known for its speed and with a banged up brooking and struggling hartwell willis needs to get to the edges and turn plays up field....bills can't seem to open up holes inside so the playcalling must adapt.....

3) be creative -- screens and playaction need to be reintroduced to the playbook....as well, seemed the bills were known for tossing in 1-3 trick plays per game last year, but have gone away from that early.....dallas showed on monday night how a well executed flea flicker can deflate a defense....

Buffalo defense (assuming vick starts):

1) make the pass beat you -- vick has been horrible with his accruacy this year and will be missing his #1 wideout this week (dez white).....crumpler will see lots of looks as always so the performance of vincent, milloy, and/or posey will be key in keeping him under wraps and making vick look for his WR's....

2) don't overplay vick's ability to run -- standard scheme against vick is to use the ends as "contain", but bills must be creative to keep enough bodies inside to guard against dive and trap plays.....after watching tapes of TB shredding the inside last week you can count on the falcons testing the soft spots of the line early and often....

3) encourage vick to scramble -- make him test out the hammy early by taking away his receiving options and collapasing the pocket....much like in the seattle game, despite the fact he's not 100% he still has the intial instinct to scramble when the play breaks down which leads to indecisivness........find out what he has early and adjust the gameplan from there.......

Buffalo offense:

1) keep 8 out of the box -- this will not happen until losman hits some targets, over the middle and down the sidelines......a deep shot early on the first drive would go a long way to backing off the safeties....their secondary is hurting and needs to be challenged......just stay away from hall....

2) establish the outside run -- falcons defense is not known for its speed and with a banged up brooking and struggling hartwell willis needs to get to the edges and turn plays up field....bills can't seem to open up holes inside so the playcalling must adapt.....

3) be creative -- screens and playaction need to be reintroduced to the playbook....as well, seemed the bills were known for tossing in 1-3 trick plays per game last year, but have gone away from that early.....dallas showed on monday night how a well executed flea flicker can deflate a defense....

1) make the pass beat you -- vick has been horrible with his accruacy this year and will be missing his #1 wideout this week (dez white).....crumpler will see lots of looks as always so the performance of vincent, milloy, and/or posey will be key in keeping him under wraps and making vick look for his WR's....

2) don't overplay vick's ability to run -- standard scheme against vick is to use the ends as "contain", but bills must be creative to keep enough bodies inside to guard against dive and trap plays.....after watching tapes of TB shredding the inside last week you can count on the falcons testing the soft spots of the line early and often....

3) encourage vick to scramble -- make him test out the hammy early by taking away his receiving options and collapasing the pocket....much like in the seattle game, despite the fact he's not 100% he still has the intial instinct to scramble when the play breaks down which leads to indecisivness........find out what he has early and adjust the gameplan from there.......

449487[/snapback]

Nice job. I agree with virtually everything. One thing I really hope is that Fletcher's hamstring is better than Vick's. That one little thing could be the difference of a 2 yard scramble and a 12 or 22 or 32 yarder.

Buffalo offense:

449487[/snapback]

I am not sure long passes are whats needed seemed we tried that a little with TB and didnt work. Need to find a way to make the Falcons secondary respect the plays the TB folks were jumping routes like crazy so means JP aint doing look offs or they knew we wouldnt try going over the top. I still think ya have to do with JP like Pitt does with ben and we did in first game. keep it simple with some quick slant stuff etc to get him comfortable and loosen up the 8 in the box. Than establish the run and stay with it.

On D I would like to see some early on blitzing to see if Vicks hammy can hold up to the pressure.

I am not sure long passes are whats needed seemed we tried that a little with TB and didnt work.  Need to find a way to make the Falcons secondary respect the plays the TB folks were jumping routes like crazy so means JP aint doing look offs or they knew we wouldnt try going over the top.  I still think ya have to do with JP like Pitt does with ben and we did in first game.  keep it simple with some quick slant stuff etc to get him comfortable and loosen up the 8 in the box.  Than establish the run and stay with it.

On D I would like to see some early on blitzing to see if Vicks hammy can hold up to the pressure.

449556[/snapback]

Except one of the keys and turning points of the Texans game, if not THE key play, was the 42 yard bomb to Evans.

I see 3 main things the Bills need to have:

1. They need to have Moulds and Evans become productive members of the offense early in the game. Atlanta will be keying on the run 100% in the first quarter after seeing JP's errant throws in Tampa on film. To get the running game on track we have to connect on some passes to the wideouts for big gainers. I know there'll be a lot of naysayers to this one but I think we're screwed without getting teams to back off Willis.

2. They need to have the defense get a couple of turnovers to shorten the field for the offense.

3. They need to have no turnovers themselves.

If these 3 things happen the Bills will be 2-1.

But we didnt start the game bombing it started with some stuff to get JP in the flow the staff seemed to forget that this last week

449568[/snapback]

I think this is the key--get Losman into the game early, have him complete some passes--they don't have to be game breakers--to establish that they can pass the ball. Screens or short slants or dump-offs to the tight end would be okay with me.