What do you know more about than anyone here?

JoeF

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned basic and C before moving on to assembler.  All the local colleges are now teaching Java.  I guess that is the next big programing language.

450160[/snapback]

Any "real" college will teach data structures, and not just a language... They may use Java as a tool to teach structures, but they shouldn't just teach the language. That's one reason I left Fredonia to go to the U of Minnesota.

CW

:blink:

Ok, well then, how about...

"While I'm sure I don't know more than everyone else on this forum -  I wouldn't want to insult any egos -  I am fairly confident I'm in the top decile with respect to computer knowledge.  Probably higher in certain disciplines, but certainly lower in others. For instance, my skills with respect to VMS systems are lacking, while my knowledge of C is quite high."

I honestly don't understand this egotistical knowledge war computer professionals get wrapped up in.  I'm personally honored when I get the chance to work with guys that know more than me. 

You know the war I'm referring too, where "Trash 80" is mentioned along with "Logo" and "Assembler in middle school."

-Jeff

450024[/snapback]

I wasn't criticizing...I was just saying that, given they topic was "what do you know more about than everyone else here", it was a pretty gutsy statement to make.

I, too, prefer the opportunity to learn by working with people who know more than I. Sadly, I haven't really had the opportunity in years...not because I'm omniscient, just because for whatever reason no one at my last three jobs has known more than me. Sucks, actually...I feel very stagnated.

Any "real" college will teach data structures, and not just a language...  They may use Java as a tool to teach structures, but they shouldn't just teach the language.  That's one reason I left Fredonia to go to the U of Minnesota.

CW

450311[/snapback]

...and the reason I stayed at Fredonia was that they had a teacher there that was teaching object-oriented design while most of the other 4-year schools were teaching structured design. Of course, he taught it in ADA... :blink: Compiler theory was cool too...nothing like writing a compiler to understand how the languages work...

...and the reason I stayed at Fredonia was that they had a teacher there that was teaching object-oriented design while most of the other 4-year schools were teaching structured design.  Of course, he taught it in ADA... :blink:  Compiler theory was cool too...nothing like writing a compiler to understand how the languages work...

450335[/snapback]

I did both. (OO and structures) :) And we used C++ for OO.

Who taught the ADA class?

I never did take the compiler class in Minnesota. Probably should've, oh well. I did take some assembly which was pretty cool.

CW

I did both.  (OO and structures) :blink:  And we used C++ for OO.

Who taught the ADA class?

I never did take the compiler class in Minnesota.  Probably should've, oh well.  I did take some assembly which was pretty cool.

CW

450356[/snapback]

Dan O'Connell taught the OOD/ADA class. Dr. Chan taught Compiler Theory. I ended up doing Compiler Theory II (which was where I built the compiler, also with Chan) as an assisted study since I was the only one crazy enough to sign up for it, I guess.