Thesis

AJ1

Is there anything to back this up other than the one short article from the Pittsburgh Press or whatever last year that suggested Ken Wisenhunt was the guy he wanted? I never really believed that, as it came across like just local yokel writers pontificating with no facts or quotes and no one else suggesting it.

448814[/snapback]

STFU. I know more about this topic than ALL of you. :D

I can't remember the details... it could be horseshit. In fact, if it comes from me - it probably is.

My argument is I have yet to see an imaginative gameplan against a good defense.  Number two, I have yet to see intelligent or any other kind of halftime adjustments.

A couple more stinkers like last weekend should result in his replacement.  He probably gets the rest of the year, but he has shown me nothing up to now.

My immediate candidate: Sam Wyche.  Don't know that he would want the job, though.

Any antithesis comment?

448483[/snapback]

I assume this thesis covers last year's games for Clements as OC and is not simply limited to this year (any these based on two samples is rejected simply because the sample size is too small).

As an OC TC's record is 10-8. Right off the top him having a winning record as an OC throws your thesis into doubt. Perhaps you are correct IF all 10 of his wins happened because the D and ST saved the team or the O production came against bad defenses while his 8 losses were against good D teams that undressed the Bills and his O like TB did Sunday. However, this perfect occurence of events that proves your point seems pretty unlikely and if you are serious in putting out this thesis, rather than simply throwing out your conclusion (get rid of him) you actally should provides some evidence that substantiates your thesis.

I'm impressed with TC becauseL

1. In the real world he has produced a winning record as OC and even if you can site proof of an unproven (and even unargued with anything but your conclusion) point that he beats bad Os and losses to good Ds, your point has no relevance in terms of can the team produced a winning record with a sub-mediocre OC and even make the playoffs with a sub-mediocre OC. If you have the evidence it links with TCs record and the team coming within a game after an 0-4 start of the more interesting point that a team can do quite well with a bad OC.

2. He really did a good job with Bledsoe last year. it was not great because he could not make the playoffs with Bledsoe as his QB. However, we have seen how bad the record of team can be if Bledsoe is depended upon too much and a team is pass-happy and uses him badly. TC got far better production out of Bledsoe last year in significant part due to better game calling and recognizing Bledsoe's weaknesses and strengths.

A. In order to not allow opponents to sell out to the blitz one has to make use of Bledsoe's linited run skills. No one is going to mistake him for Michael Vick or worry about him running for a long score. However, TC who is primarily responsible for the O strategy and has almost total control of the play calls recognized that Bledsoe is a big boy who can get hit getting sacked or get hiit lumbering for 5 or 7 yards on a QB draw on 2nd and 8. He really made good use of ledsoe's limited run skills last year and this helped lower out sack total as blitzers feared WM going wide or Bledsoe on the delayed draw and blitzed less.

B. He also recognized that Bledsoe is a very good ball handler. it was Bledsoe's ability to handle wayward snaps which got us through the Teague learning curve as he learned how to do shotgun snaps. TC gets credit for installing a number of traick plays which the Bills used successfully as WM pitched the ball back to him and he found Evan and Moulds on flea-flickers.

C. ge recignized that though Bledsoe suffers brain farts in game situation that he actually is a 10 year NFL vet with a lot of game knowledge and good practice habits. He routinely runs out plays after the handoff and this illusion adds to his ability to run fakes. The fake QB sneak and the pitch to WM who ran for a TD were also examples that for a planned play Bledsoe can be very good.

D. He and MM made good use of the alarm clock set for 4 seconds to replace the force of wil Parcells can do when he constantly yelled at Bledsoe just pass the damn ball when he would go into his familiar patpatpatsack.

Bledsoe proved to be incapable of leading a team to the playoffs last year. However, i was really impressed with TCs work which improved the O and DBs performance to a level which was still inadequate on an absolute level but was a tremendous improvement over his horrid 2003 performance.

I'd love to see your detailed cut disagreeing that TC oversaw substantial (though ultimately inadequate improvement in Bledsoe as a QB) and love to see you present and actual thesis (rather than simply and unsupported conclusion( that the 10-8 record produced with TC at OC was built up against bad Ds (which seems to be in the majority in this league based on matching your thesis with reality and if this is true it doesn't matter alot for the W/L whether he is sub-mediocre or not)

I'm not a scientist, but doesn't a thesis need to have some sort of evidence or examples which support it?

If you really want to be taken seriously in you assertation that a sub-mediocre coach put the likes of Kordell Stewart in the Pro Bowl, you're going to have to actually bring something tangible to the table.

Your mission for this weekend:

1)Watch the 1sthalf of the Bills game

2)At halftime tell us what the Bills gameplan is/was and how you disagree with it. This section should include detailed explanations of blocking schemes, route combinations, dline slants, coverage rotations, and what is wrong with them.

3)Explain to us how Atlanta has reacted to this gameplan, providing specific examples like the ones you've provided in section 2.

4)Give us a detailed description of exactly what halftime adjustments you would make to counter the Falcons' strategy

5)Finally, at the conclusion of the game compare your suggested adjustments with the real adjustments that the Bills staff actually made during the game. Use this contrast to explain why the Bills' adjustments were so woefully inadequate.

If you can accurately provide this simple analysis, we will be glad to take your thesis seriously.

448678[/snapback]

Wow, this assignment wasn't even for me and it made my stomach hurt. I'm frightened auntie Em, I'm frightened!

Is there anything to back this up other than the one short article from the Pittsburgh Press or whatever last year that suggested Ken Wisenhunt was the guy he wanted? I never really believed that, as it came across like just local yokel writers pontificating with no facts or quotes and no one else suggesting it.

448814[/snapback]

It looks like it was Clements to me. Here's what the Chin had to say about the TC hiring:

"On the offensive side, I think everybody is very happy for Mike (Mularkey) and the opportunity that he now has as he becomes head coach in Buffalo. I know Mike wanted to take Kenny (Whisenhunt) or Tommy Clements with him as a coordinator and I was not, at the time, ready to be able to talk to either one of them and name either one of them. I wanted to talk to both of them at the time, so Tommy had the opportunity to go up there knowing he would have an opportunity here, but knowing he was offered a job as Mike got it. So, Tommy went with Mike as his offensive coordinator, "

It looks like it was Clements to me.  Here's what the Chin had to say about the TC hiring:

"On the offensive side, I think everybody is very happy for Mike (Mularkey) and the opportunity that he now has as he becomes head coach in Buffalo. I know Mike wanted to take Kenny (Whisenhunt) or Tommy Clements with him as a coordinator and I was not, at the time, ready to be able to talk to either one of them and name either one of them. I wanted to talk to both of them at the time, so Tommy had the opportunity to go up there knowing he would have an opportunity here, but knowing he was offered a job as Mike got it. So, Tommy went with Mike as his offensive coordinator, "

448838[/snapback]

Good find. Sounds to me like MM wanted TC and not KW, too.