Big Ten and ACC expanison

T-Bone

Both the Big Ten and the ACC want to go to a 12 team conference and set up the big bucks conference championship game.

Who is the best 12th team out there?

Notre Dame is the obivious choice but until they are in a position where their football team cannot get the big bucks for TV rights, this will not happen.

As a Big Ten fan, I would suggest that Syracuse or Pittsburgh are ripe for membership. The current Big East does not deserve to be in the BCS. Either school would benefit from joining the Big Ten. That is what I would like to see.

If only the Big 11 could get Notre Dame.  I wish Penn State could get to play the Irish yearly.

4456[/snapback]

Well I would love to see that too, Notre Dame needs a reality pill before that will happen.

I like Notre Dame but they would get slaughtered if they joined the ACC. I agree with T-Bone and say Notre Dame isn't going anywhere. They have a nice TV contract and have nothing to gain by moving to the ACC. Syracuse on the other hand has everything to gain by moving. If I was a top prospect out of highschool, I wouldn't want to play for a losing team in the big east. You're not going to be on a winning team, you're not going to be on TV, and your chances of making it to the next level go down. A move to the ACC will automatically bring in better recruits.

2004 Notre Dame Schedule

BYU

8 Michigan

Michigan State

Washington

24 Purdue

Stanford

Navy

Boston

14 Tennessee

Pittsburgh

1 USC

Suppose conferences went up to 14 teams? The bigs could suck up all the remaining mid-majors worth anything and the rest could go to 1-AA. This would leave us will 5-6 big, 14 team conferences and 5-6 big time conference championships every year in early December. I'm drooling. The Big Ten (11) could take Syracuse, Pitt and ND. Drooling. Imagine it!!!

I may even register now that you have a Bills forum and a college football (Penn State) forum...

And the Big 10 must think of a new conference name, if 11,12 teams are in it.

Unless they want to call Penn St. and Pitt the  " Little 2 "  :w00t:

5531[/snapback]

Easy now.

I guess when you're right, you're right. Still, things are looking up for the Lions and it may not be too long before they're back on top in the Big 11. This will be one of the first posts that come to mind at that point.

Easy now. 

I guess when you're right, you're right.  Still, things are looking up for the Lions and it may not be too long before they're back on top in the Big 11.  This will be one of the first posts that come to mind at that point.

5608[/snapback]

Thick skin. As you may recall, I've always liked Penn St. and Maryland, even though I'm a diehard Buckeyes fan. I've spent most of my life watching Penn ST. as an INDY and was surprised when they entered the Big 10. Joe Pa is a class act all the way. I view many Big 10 games on ABC/ESPN, not just Ohio St... I just catch highlights of the other conferences. Big 10 football is great !

BTW - Ohio St. is waaaay overrated in the Pre-season poll. They had 18 players drafted, which is an NFL record for one draft. I bet 75 % of their starters are new. Ranking them #9 was too high. I could see 3,4 losses this year. But as long as they beat " That team up North " , it will be a good year. :w00t:

Thick skin. As you may recall, I've always liked Penn St. and Maryland, even though I'm a diehard Buckeyes fan. I've spent most of my life watching Penn ST. as an INDY and was surprised when they entered the Big 10. Joe Pa is a class act all the way. I view many Big 10 games on ABC/ESPN, not just Ohio St... I just catch highlights of the other conferences. Big 10 football is great !

BTW - Ohio St. is waaaay overrated in the Pre-season poll. They had 18 players drafted, which is an NFL record for one draft. I bet 75 % of their starters are new. Ranking them #9 was too high. I could see 3,4 losses this year. But as long as they beat " That team up North " , it will be a good year.  :devil:

5622[/snapback]

I also like to watch the Big 11 games. Besides the SEC, it seems the Big 11 is the conference they like to show the most on ESPN's Game Plan package, which I've had now for the past 3 years. Those are the 2 conferences I've watched the most during that time. It was nice, because it allowed me to watch a lot of guys who are/will be playing in the NFL; guys like Ben Troupe, Ben Watson, and Eli Manning, to name just a few.

Don't be so quick to count OSU out. They have been great at recruiting (taking some of PA's best talent over the past few years; other states too, of course) and will be tough to beat.

Between ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 , Ohio St. games are usually on. I believe only 2 Buckeye games haven't been on over the last 3 years. I did order them on my remote for $10 a game I believe, through the ESPN Gameplan. Haven't missed a Buckeye game in several years.

Between ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 , Ohio St. games are usually on. I believe only 2 Buckeye games haven't been on over the last 3 years. I did order them on my remote for $10 a game I believe, through the ESPN Gameplan. Haven't missed a Buckeye game in several years.

5680[/snapback]

In this area, I'm not as fortunate in getting to see the Nittany Lions. Between ESPN, ABC, and the Game Plan, I do okay, but I still miss the occasional game here and there.

BTW - Ohio St. is waaaay overrated in the Pre-season poll. They had 18 players drafted, which is an NFL record for one draft. I bet 75 % of their starters are new. Ranking them #9 was too high. I could see 3,4 losses this year. But as long as they beat " That team up North " , it will be a good year.  <_<

5622[/snapback]

nobody is going to touch the wolverines in the big 10 " go blue"

Sweet to have a college board.

There's something about Bret Musberger and Keith Jackson that gets the autumn nostalgia going. The Big(11)Ten makes for some really great games -- favorite conference b/c it's grind-out, traditional football.

You know with the BIG EAST-ACC flapping, it's really changing the conference structure of the entire NCAA. They really should have waited another couple of years, but now Miami, BC and VT are going to get a dose of reality. I won't shed any tears. UConn started D-I four(?) years back and were mediocre until last year; the QB Dan Orlovsky is really turning into a great player --- they're saying possible first-round pick. This year, ranked #28.

So what happens when the BIG EAST football goes breasts-up and loses the BCS bid? Well, first of all, the BCS is a POS system. But otherwise, I'd LOVE to see UConn in the Big(11)Ten next year to bring it up to 12. New 40,000-seat stadium, good recruiting classes, building tradition.... What think?

BTW, R. Rich, have you played UConn in NCAA'05? Is that game really as good as I hear?

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
nobody is going to touch the wolverines in the big 10 " go blue"

8781[/snapback]

The line on the Michigan game is suspiciously low for a team that isn't going to be touched. SOMETHING is up this weekend. It's my $$$$$ pick of the week.

Your BLUE better make me some GREEN! :angry:

hehe

What I've heard that the Big Ten possibilites are Notre Dame, Pitt, Rutgers and West Virginia. Personally, I feel Pitt would be the best fit, geographically and athletically, but as a former WNYer, Syracuse intrigues me....

Go Hawkeyes! (Look for the Hawks to stretch their winning streak against Michigan to 3-0!)

Everytime College Football starts, every year I wish the Nittany Lions were still an independent....I dont know how other PSU fans feel about it, but I liked it much better, what do conferences really mean anymore now anyway the way they are being rebuilt/expanded?

Everytime College Football starts, every year I wish the Nittany Lions were still an independent....I dont know how other PSU fans feel about it, but I liked it much better, what do conferences really mean anymore now anyway the way they are being rebuilt/expanded?

13553[/snapback]

Being a member of the Big Ten has really helped the other sports at Penn State, that was the key to joining. And given the current state of the Big East, I am glad that Penn State did not get suckered into that league.

Plus, Penn State was having a hard time scheduling teams like Notre Dame and Alabama...

Archived