ESPN segment on Bills coaches.

PIZ

I don't know if this was posted or not, but thought it was interesting. It was about how Jerry Gray works sometimes 19 hours a day, and has on occasion worked 22 hours. Mularkey puts in similar hours and on the day ESPN was there, Mularkey just finished a 17 hour day. Mularkey said after the season is over, he gets extremely sick, because of all the hours he put in. These guys are ultra competitive and ultra dedicated.

<Stephen Colbert>

Doesn't leave much time for Mrs Gray now does it

</Stephen Colbert>

442428[/snapback]

Well, just enough, because he has 1 child and 1 on the way. They asked her on a scale of 1 to 10, if a workaholic is a 9, what is Jerry. She said a 10 1/2. They had Sam Wyche on there and he pretty much said they were nuts. He said they should be home. Tom Donahoe said Chuck Knoll was always out of the office by dinner time. Wyche did say Joe Gibbs won a few Super Bowls by putting in long hours. Vincent said Don Shula had a car pick him up right before dinner time, but Gruden and Rhodes were at Veteran Stadium, sometimes all day and all night. Vincent said sometimes the coaches try to give them too much info, which kind of concerned me, but the results on the field speak for themselves.

as always, i must disclaim that my modest little level of coaching is not the NFL, but i have seen a lot of very good and passionate coaches driven away by the loooooong hours and complete domination of your life that it assumes.

of course with track/xc there is almost NO chance that you will be paid what you're worth, so maybe that is why NFL guys (and their families) put up with it. i've known more than one successful coach who has put in jerry gray hours for 30k, and they finally just wake up one day and realize there has to be more to life.