So, did anyone listen to "The Coach" on WHAM?

Mike32282

That would be Chuck Dickerson, right???

He has been anti-Bills ever since Marv Levy let him go years ago. Most people respect Levy for his coaching intuition, sooooo Dickerson hasn't had a coaching job in the pros since.

I haven't listened to the guy for years, I don't believe in his pessimisism.

Jay started a thread on Friday about how putrid the post game was on WGR.  A couple people posted in that thread about the coach.  If I remember correctly there were some compliments about the show.

442403[/snapback]

I thought the WGR show sucked too. I'm going to try to listen to the Coach this Sunday and see how it is. If I like it, I'll stick with it. If I don't...I'll go to Jim Brinson's postgame show. :blush:

Apparently, he started his new postgame show on WHAM 1180.  I was curious if anyone heard it and how it was.  I heard a commercial for it today and it's billed as the Unofficial Buffalo Bills Postgame Show.  Sounds like fun.  :blush:

442290[/snapback]

Why would that !@#$'s show be any different than it was a few years back? He's a bitter, negative old buffoon who isn't worth the energy I'm using to type this message. Why listen if you know what the dink is going to say?

Why would that !@#$'s show be any different than it was a few years back? He's a bitter, negative old buffoon who isn't worth the energy I'm using to type this message. Why listen if you know what the dink is going to say?

442523[/snapback]

That wasn't the case last Sunday. I listened with hesitation after the game while mowing the lawn. I had heard all these horrible things about what a jerk the guy was.He said it's nice to see the swagger back in the Bills, that people around Buffalo seemed to have a sense that their football team was coming back to the "glory days" of the early 90's, he's really excited about this team and how good JP looked. He was very entertaining and frank IMO, the only really negative thing he said was that Williams, Mike needed to get his crap together.

Like most media personalities the Coach is more about getting ears rather than the truth. If the truth gets ears then its great, but if garbage gets ears then so be it.

Its not surprising to me that his "new" show would be quite different in attitude and tone from his old show if he and the marketeers made a judgment that the most ears are to be found in a new stichk.

My big problem with him before is that he (used to) know the Bills and the game and one could here a couple of insights into the Bills in his shows that were not available to the average fan.

However, as his popularity grew, WGR lost official coverage and co-operation of the Bills, and the Coach became a legend in his own mind, one had to sort and sit through a lot of garbage like Glenn Parker should be gone (he was run out of town and appeared in the SB with Dusty Ziegler the next year) and replaced with Corey Louchiey (he was and Corey also was gone as he was not as good as the Coach assessed him as being).

There was always a "good" Coach and a "bad" Coach and perhaps the good one still has something left and will be encouraged to show up. We'll see.

I know that Dickerson was an NFL coach, and thus might see some things others don't, but has anyone else noticed that it is a common strategy of know-it-all wannabe analysts to cite one member of an offensive line as especially good or especially bad? Doing so is essentially cost free, since most people do not focus enough on a single blocker through an entire game to be able to refute such arguments, and therefore they assume that the analyst must really know. I remain very skeptical, however, that anyone who does not have access to actual game film that zeroes in on the offensive line (watching TV replays that end up following the ball do not count, nor does the impressionistic feel of simply relying on what one sees at the game live) that anyone can accurately break down the play of any individual player. It is all a smokescreen, I think, and an attempt to bully anyone who might disagree by asserting knowledge that the bully does not actually have.

I say this because Dickerson was famous in the past for hammering on one OL man at a time, be it Dusty Ziegler or Glenn Parker, so that he created an impression that the player was utterly useless (I believe he referred to Parker as "a big fat bag of pus" at one point). The fact that both men eventually left Buffalo and performed well elsewhere suggests that the Coach's verdicts were far from perfect.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Wow, FFS and I were thinking the same thoughts at the same time, apparently... spooky. :blush:

elsewhere suggests that the Coach's verdicts were far from perfect.

Thoughts?

442569[/snapback]

Good post. Game film vs. tv coverage is quite different. But some players goof up consistently, though - that much we can see for ourselves. And line play of course is a matter of orchestration as well as talent. I think that some of the better linemen may not be the most talented per se, but have the ability to get a near-instantaneous feel of what's happening.