TD comments on the throwbacks

JÂy RÛßeÒ

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3376

Eric Sorrentinio (London, CA): Congratulations on a most impressive opening day victory! You have built a solid team. Not to be superstitions (it's bad luck to be - ha ha ha), but is there any way the team can play in the "Throwback" uniforms all season? They looked great, too!

Tom Donahoe: Thank you for your congratulations. Our team and coaches did an outstanding job. The league has guidelines with regard to the throwback uniforms. We are only permitted to wear them two times in any given season. We have yet to determine when our second will be to wear the throwbacks. We couldn't agree with you more that the uniforms looked great and that the team played very well in them.

Chet Spoonley (Lackawanna, NY): I know you plan on wearing the throwback jerseys for a road game this year. I think the game against New Orleans would be a great choice. They will be out of their home stadium for the game, so why not have the Bills out of their regular uniforms to show the support that all of us in Bills nation feel.

Tom Donahoe: With regard to the throwbacks, our plan was to try and wear them in San Diego, which is in November, but that has yet to be confirmed. If we don't wear the throwbacks in the San Diego game, another option we have considered is wearing them in a future home game, possibly with Denver. It would be difficult to do it with New Orleans because of the closeness of the game. We will make a decision shortly as to when the second appearance of the throwback uniforms will be. There is no question that they are sharp and they remind us of the great tradition of the Buffalo Bills.

prime time game against Denver would be verrrrry cool.

438280[/snapback]

True. Broncs have 'retro' throwbacks too, as long as they don't bring the vertical-stripe knee-highs with them...

And as long as they're honoring the '65 championship team, it should be against another AFL team, anyway.

Forgot to mention, San Diego is scheduled to wear their throwbacks on 10/10 and 11/20.  Do we play them then?  i can't imagine it would be worth wearing them in SD unless they are wearing theirs too.

438344[/snapback]

Both clubs throwback jerseys are blue ... they'd clash

Neither club has a throwback with a white jersey

Bills at Chargers is 20th November, and Chargers ARE scheduled to wear theirs for that game ..

Click here regarding throwback/alternates

Forgot to mention, San Diego is scheduled to wear their throwbacks on 10/10 and 11/20.  Do we play them then?  i can't imagine it would be worth wearing them in SD unless they are wearing theirs too.

438344[/snapback]

Trouble with SD is, both our throwbacks and theirs have white helmets and light-to-medium blue jerseys. Doubt the league would okay that.

Bills could play in their throwback road unis... such as the ones they wore in the 1965 AFL championship game in Balboa Stadium...

438352[/snapback]

The BILLS don't have a throwback uniform with a white jersey.

From what I've heard, the NFL limits all teams to only 1 throwback/alternate jersey

From what I've heard, the NFL limits all teams to only 1 throwback/alternate jersey

438356[/snapback]

Ah.... did not know that. Back in 1994, the first year with throwbacks, each team had a road and an away throwback, and wore them both. Bills wore theirs on a Monday night home game against Denver and a sunday game in Houston. Though in that year they wore those silly red helmets with a white Buffalo because they were afraid that a different color helmet would lead Jimbo to throw to the wrong side...

438356[/snapback]

What is with the NFL and all these uniform rules. are they a communist regime or something?!? What if a certain team from upstate NY makes the Superbowl and wants to wear the throwback, would they prohibit it?

What is with the NFL and all these uniform rules.  are they a communist regime or something?!?  What if a certain team from upstate NY makes the Superbowl and wants to wear the throwback, would they prohibit it?

438364[/snapback]

For some reason, back in 1994, the NFL relaxed the restriction for the SF 49ers

There were wearing their throwbacks that had white pants, rather than the burnished gold, and even wore them in the Super Bowl win over San Diego.

They also wore them for mostly all games after they premiered ...

Everyone in SF and the team liked them alot, but i don't know what reason that was given for the NFL to ease the restriction ...

Ah.... did not know that. Back in 1994, the first year with throwbacks, each team had a road and an away throwback, and wore them both. Bills wore theirs on a Monday night home game against Denver and a sunday game in Houston. Though in that year they wore those silly red helmets with a white Buffalo because they were afraid that a different color helmet would lead Jimbo to throw to the wrong side...

438363[/snapback]

LoL .. 0:)

I remember that, and those funny looking bowling socks the BRONCOS wore. I really got a kick out of their old logo with the funny eyes on the bucking bronco.

BRONCOS '66 Throwback Helmet

I remember that, and those funny looking bowling socks the BRONCOS wore.  I really got a kick out of their old logo with the funny eyes on the bucking bronco.

BRONCOS '66 Throwback Helmet

438377[/snapback]

Ah yes, the puking horse. And considering Denver spent most of that period mired in the AFL West Division basement, they seem particularly appropriate.

I like how TD throws in that the saints game would not be good due to the "closeness". Um, i'm not an expert, but how much friggin warning do they honestly need?? Like, maybe an hour and a half??? An hour to do the laundry. While the laundry is being done, the helmets can be cleaned. All we're talking about is folding 53 sets of shirts, pants and socks. Doesn't seem like too much to ask of the fans tom!

I like how TD throws in that the saints game would not be good due to the "closeness".  Um, i'm not an expert, but how much friggin warning do they honestly need??  Like, maybe an hour and a half???  An hour to do the laundry.  While the laundry is being done, the helmets can be cleaned.  All we're talking about is folding 53 sets of shirts, pants and socks.  Doesn't seem like too much to ask of the fans tom!

438421[/snapback]

I hope you are kidding... TD is referring to the League's approval of the uniforms. Like it or not, the NFL places pretty tight restrictions on uniforms, and yes, it does take time to get that formal approval....

I hope you are kidding... TD is referring to the League's approval of the uniforms. Like it or not, the NFL places pretty tight restrictions on uniforms, and yes, it does take time to get that formal approval....

438439[/snapback]

I know i know. I was kidding.

I'd love for them to use the unis soon though, so that the petition can be submitted to have these be the permanent uniforms, with maybe the new style navy blue unis as the 3rd jersey for next year. But yeah, i was being sarcastic before.

I say they wear them for the Denver Game. Think about it. Saturday Night Game on ESPN. Freezing Cold & Snow. Packed house at the Ralph. Could be a game to clinch the AFC East Championship and/or Home Field throughout the Playoffs. Bills come out in the Royal Blue, White Helmets & Black Shoes. That would be a pretty wild scene.

Week before Christmas too. They could sell lots of Christmas Presents that day.

Broncos should wear their original 1960-1961 Uniforms. Wonder why they burned them all in 1962? Brown & Yellow with Brown & Yellow vertical striped socks. Nasty.

http://endzone.pscoggin.com/196061.htm