some observations from last night

dave mcbride

1. kerry collins was eerily bledsoe-like. the poor ypa, the poor completion percentage, the immediately-giving-up on certain pass plays because of the lethal combination of a pass rush and his own immobility, and the occasional really nice deep pass play that makes you think he can win for you.

2. i see a key problem facing the bills that i took away from watching the pats offense. a good te is so important to an offense that wants to sustain drives and avoid pressure on the qb. i was really, really impressed by ben watson, and daniel graham is no slouch either. having those two intermediate targets is key to their success. the raiders appear to have no credible TE, and it showed in the second half. the bills don't have a decent TE either, and it will hurt them significantly, i fear. too bad about everitt, although i doubt he would have done a whole lot this year anyway.

3. the raiders defense was much better last night than it was last year. it was good at stopping the run, and they did mount a halfway decent pass rush in the second half. ted washington is still a beast.

1. kerry collins was eerily bledsoe-like.  the poor ypa, the poor completion percentage, the immediately-giving-up on certain pass plays because of the lethal combination of a pass rush and his own immobility, and the occasional really nice deep pass play that makes you think he can win for you.

2. i see a key problem facing the bills that i took away from watching the pats offense. a good te is so important to an offense that wants to sustain drives and avoid pressure on the qb. i was really, really impressed by ben watson, and daniel graham is no slouch either. having those two intermediate targets is key to their success. the raiders appear to have no credible TE, and it showed in the second half. the bills don't have a decent TE either, and it will hurt them significantly, i fear.  too bad about everitt, although i doubt he would have done a whole lot this year anyway.

3. the raiders defense was much better last night than it was last year. it was good at stopping the run, and they did mount a halfway decent pass rush in the second half. ted washington is still a beast.

434751[/snapback]

Yes, if we don't bring our "A" game to Oakland, we will lose there. I cannot believe many are counting on at Oakland as a win for us. Its 50-50 at best.

2. i see a key problem facing the bills that i took away from watching the pats offense. a good te is so important to an offense that wants to sustain drives and avoid pressure on the qb. i was really, really impressed by ben watson, and daniel graham is no slouch either. having those two intermediate targets is key to their success. the raiders appear to have no credible TE, and it showed in the second half. the bills don't have a decent TE either, and it will hurt them significantly, i fear.  too bad about everitt, although i doubt he would have done a whole lot this year anyway.

434751[/snapback]

We have one....Just that he is injured right now....Once everett comes back

from his injury we should be seeing him more in the offense.

The Raiders could be terrible this year in a big way. Collins didn't look like Bledsoe, he looked like Collins - Todd, that is. If not for a few impressive throws and some acrobatics by Moss, this could have been a miserable game for him. He made bad decisions, was sacked and hurried constantly, and just blew, essentially.

Really, it's probably Norv Turner's fault. Is there a worse NFL coach in the league right now? Barely any shotgun, no extra blockers - throw your QB a line so he can pass to Moss!

The Raiders could be terrible this year in a big way.  Collins didn't look like Bledsoe, he looked like Collins - Todd, that is.  If not for a few impressive throws and some acrobatics by Moss, this could have been a miserable game for him.  He made bad decisions, was sacked and hurried constantly, and just blew, essentially.

Really, it's probably Norv Turner's fault.  Is there a worse NFL coach in the league right now?  Barely any shotgun, no extra blockers - throw your QB a line so he can pass to Moss!

434824[/snapback]

the pats do have a habit of making pocket qbs look really bad. i wouldn't say that collins is worse than bledsoe. he certainly played infinitely better than bledsoe did the last time bledsoe played in NE.

I couldn't believe how much Collins was throwing off his back foot - it started to look ridiculous.

I still can't understand why teams can't defend NE against those slants across the middle.

I still dont know what the Raiders d-cord was doing rushing three guys and putting a ton of people back in a zone on those third down plays onthe Pats first TD drive.

There defense is pathetic. You could have 50 guys playing zone and it wouldnt matter for Tom Brady. You need a pass rush on him. I could have coached a better defense for the Raiders last night. They plain out suck. Warren Sapp is the most overated d-lineman alive. He was horrible last night.

I still dont know what the Raiders d-cord was doing rushing three guys and putting a ton of people back in a zone on those third down plays onthe Pats first TD drive.

There defense is pathetic. You could have 50 guys playing zone and it wouldnt matter for Tom Brady. You need a pass rush on him. I could have coached a better defense for the Raiders last night. They plain out suck. Warren Sapp is the most overated d-lineman alive. He was horrible last night.

434931[/snapback]

I'll agree with all you said except that about Sapp; I'm not a Sapp fan but he didn't play bad as the Pats rushed for under 3 yards a carry and he was in on 80% of the snaps. Now the D playcalling sucked, much like the Raiders LB did in coverage or zone. If you want to point a finger look that is where it should go, not just to the most recognizable name on D...

Okay than he sure does suck as a pass rusher. Why they had him at DE again floored me. He can not rush from the outside at all.

434959[/snapback]

Just like Madden said, he is not a DE or a NT he is a 3 gap DT. It is equivalent to Bryce paup or Posey as a 4-3 OLB; they don't suck but they aren't Pro Bowl material for they are not put in positions that take advantage of their strengths. As a result they suck in comparison to what they use to be as they don't make the flashy plays anymore.

i was really, really impressed by ben watson,

434751[/snapback]

FWIW, last year the B'gals played NE in the pre-season and tanned the Pats - I guess Belicheck got mad because their starters were on the field well into the 2nd half.

I distinctly recall the radio announcers dropping their jaws over Watson's play. The two announcers, Keels and Lapham, are straight shooters BTW.

FWIW, last year the B'gals played NE in the pre-season and tanned the Pats - I guess Belicheck got mad because their starters were on the field well into the 2nd half.

I distinctly recall the radio announcers dropping their jaws over Watson's play. The two announcers, Keels and Lapham, are straight shooters BTW.

435003[/snapback]

i just got an e-mail from a very smart pats fan friend of mine and his words regarding ben watson were: "get used to him. He's a monster in the middle when healthy without the dropping habits of our blocking tight end, Daniel Graham."

i think the pats have a new te star, carrying on the tradition of russ francis and ben coates.

435003[/snapback]

He's a physical freak, no doubt. I think he ran a 4.4 at 250lbs+, and got a 41 on the wonderlic to boot. His rap out of college, though, was that he was oft-injured, and he's already missed 18 out of 20 games, so I hope he manages to stay healthy. If he does, he's got the tools to be a solid offensive weapon.

ted washington is still a beast.

434751[/snapback]

Do you think he's going to make it into the hall of fame? Unlike most players, his having played on so many teams may actually help his chances.

He's a physical freak, no doubt.  I think he ran a 4.4 at 250lbs+, and got a 41 on the wonderlic to boot.  His rap out of college, though, was that he was oft-injured, and he's already missed 18 out of 20 games, so I hope he manages to stay healthy.  If he does, he's got the tools to be a solid offensive weapon.

435072[/snapback]

It also looked like Watson was the one who whiffed his blocking responsibilty on the blocked punt.

They had to throw to Watson in the double digits in the Green Bay game - it always looks like there is somewhere to throw the ball with him due to his size and speed even if there is decent coverage. He's definitely a tantalizing prospect. He has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Coates. That guy was a warrior - Drew hung him out to dry five, six times a game. :D

Meanwhile, the Oakland tight end (Anderson) did have two touchdowns among his three catches. Ronald Curry had no catches and was not mentioned all night.

One thing that I haven't heard mentioned about New England's D is the play of the outside linebackers. Everyone is focusing on the ILB's because of the new personnel, but I thought Colvin and Vrabel struggled a bit (Vrabel played much better in the second half) and were part of the reason they played more 4-3 in the second half.

It also probably was Harrison's worst game yet for New England - he had some responsibility on both of the first two TD's and only one unassisted tackle on defense.

All and all - a sloppy game (much like last year's Thursday game).