if the Bills are wearing throwbacks,

UB2SF

Cool link I found, worth looking at.

NFL History of Teams

433915[/snapback]

If this is right, then:

In 1952 the New York Yankees fold; the NFL sells the assets of the Yanks to a Dallas group to become the Dallas Texans and begin play in 1952.

The Dallas franchise folds, is taken over by the NFL midseason and plays out the rest of their season as a road team

In 1953 the NFL formally reinstates the dead Dallas Texans franchise as the Baltimore Colts.

So should we hate the Colts for being the Yankees?

Actually, there was a team in the old AAFC that the original BILLS were in, in the

late 40s. They were the Miami Seahawks who folded after one year opening the

way for the very 1st Baltimore Colts.

Those COLTS folded after just 1 season after the merger of the AAFC & NFL in 1950,

and then the the YANKEES/TEXANS moved in there for the '53 season I had heard and

became the 2nd edition of the Baltimore Colts

That's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (I fink) ... :unsure:

Actually, there was a team in the old AAFC that the original BILLS were in, in the

late 40s.  They were the Miami Seahawks who folded after one year opening the

434412[/snapback]

So the Bills were from Miami? Oh this gets better every second. And I always thought NYers were supposed to move to Miami at the end of their careers.

late 40s.  They were the Miami Seahawks who folded after one year opening the

Those COLTS folded after just 1 season after the merger of the AAFC & NFL in 1950,

and then the the YANKEES/TEXANS moved in there for the '53 season I had heard and

became the 2nd edition of the Baltimore Colts

That's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (I fink)  ...  :unsure:

434412[/snapback]

Excellent info. You'll fit in well with our other resident football historians...Bob Lamb, Rockpile and KRC.

Can you also drink a bar dry, like they can ?

Dallas Texans.  They moved and became the KC Chiefs in 1963.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/kcdal/daltexans.html

433914[/snapback]

In Madden 2002 (first season with the Texans), Pat Summerall calls them the "Dallas Texans" when he says the full name (I think when providing the score).

So the Bills were from Miami? Oh this gets better every second. And I always thought NYers were supposed to move to Miami at the end of their careers.

434620[/snapback]

Me thinx you need spectacles oh Dolfan wanker ... :lol:

I was stating that there was a Miami team (Seahawks) who were in the old AAFC in

1946, the same league that the original Buffalo Bills/Bisons were in ..

AAFC began in 1946 to compete against NFL ...

Known the 1st season as Buffalo BISONS

Changed nickname, became Buffalo BILLS in 1947, and played as that thru 1949

Disbanded in 1950 when the Browns, 49ers and Colts were absorbed into the NFL

Miami was the Seahawks in '46, but disbanded after just one season, opening the door

for Baltimore to take their place. Hence, Baltimore Colts (1st Edition)

:lol:

But Ralph was gunning for a Miami team when he bought into the AFL, correct?

435209[/snapback]

No Dan ... never heard that one before, don't believe it to be true.

In 1959 the AFL originally went into business with 6 clubs, but then shortly afterward they decided to go with 8 by adding Buffalo & Boston

Ralph gave us the name 'BILLS' as a tribute to the original club from the AAFC in the late 40's

Ralph was a businessman in Detroit who took the BILLS because it's so close to his business in Detroit, which is the reason why our colors

were identical to the Detroit Lions in our first 2 seasons ...

Original BILLS Helmet 60 & 61

It is true...Ralph wanted to go and open his AFL shop in Miami in the Orange Bowl...the city of Miami balked at offering up the Orange Bowl, mainly because of the AAFC failure in that city. (See Miami Seahawks) Miami thought the AFL was a "fly-by-night" outfit and was DOOMED.

Ralph is then enticed to look at Buffalo from a Buffalo sportswriter (name?)...citing AAFC success in the city. Ralph sez WTF, Buffalo it is...

The rest, as they say on Peabody and Sherman, is "history."

In 1959 the AFL originally went into business with 6 clubs, but then shortly afterward they decided to go with 8 by adding Buffalo & Boston

Ralph gave us the name 'BILLS' as a tribute to the original club from the AAFC in the late 40's

Ralph was a businessman in Detroit who took the BILLS because it's so close to his business in Detroit, which is the reason why our colors

were identical to the Detroit Lions in our first 2 seasons ...

Original BILLS Helmet  60 & 61

435241[/snapback]

Well, that's how the Bills Zone historian recounts it...

Ralph is then enticed to look at Buffalo from a Buffalo sportswriter (name?)...citing AAFC success in the city.  Ralph sez WTF, Buffalo it is...

Larry Felser ?

Never heard this Miami thing before though from when I read about the AFL .. I keep finding out new things about our great team ... cool

If this is right, then:

So should we hate the Colts for being the Yankees?

434380[/snapback]

Not exactly, and it confused me the first time I read the list too. The original Dallas Texans folded and were moved to Baltimore. Then a few years later Dallas got another team and named them the Texans who then moved to Kansas City to become the Chiefs.

Screwy ain't it?

The Bills make me wanna shout! Kick your heels up and shout! Throw your hands up and shout! Throw your head back and shout! C'mon now, the Bills are makin' it happen now. Stand up now c'mon and shout! Yea-ea-eah!

Say you will - Shout it right now baby. Say you will - C'mon, c'mon. Say you will - C'mon and shout. Say you will - Yea-ea-eah!

Shout! Buffalo's happenin' now - Shout! We're on the move now - Shout! The Bills are happenin' now Shout! They're making it happen now - Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! A lot of spirit - Yeah! Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! Just watch it happen now!

Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey!

Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo!